08-07-2008, 05:30 AM   #1
Inactive Account

to go far or stay within yards in macro unlimited

Hi,

I'm looking into these 2 lenses for my K10D:

Sigma 50-500mm f4-6.3 - for its versatility

or

Sigma 180mm f3.5 APO macro

I'm sitting on the fence in a thick fog very undecided which one should get into my kit bag first.

One has got the reach while the other fulfills my closeup flowers and bugs photography.

What's your most important deciding factors?

Please help this tripod

a sample of what I enjoy doing but would like to explore a bit further....

08-07-2008, 06:24 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Since you are posting a macro shot, well... Do you really need our answer?
08-07-2008, 06:24 AM   #3

IMHO, if you want true macro, you have to use a real macro lens or macro alternatives (ext tube, reverse lens, CU filter, etc). 50-500mm is more for taking wild life, it can't give u a f2.8 or f4 when you need. For normal bugs and flowers a macro lens with 70 to 125mm will do. In Singapore most bought 180mm (regards of camera brand) to hunt for butterflies.

You want silky smooth bokeh, it'll pretty much on ur lighting control and the background. These lens should help you with better bokeh; Pentax A*/FA* 200mm F4, voigtlander 125mm, vivitar/lester dine/kiron 105mm, Sigma 70mm, Pentax F 100mm f2.8, Tamron 90mm Di and even FA 100mm f2.8. The rest of the macro lenses tends to give a less smooth bokeh, not that they are bad. Just that those lens mentioned tends to stand out more.
08-08-2008, 07:54 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
Since you are posting a macro shot, well... Do you really need our answer?
I should have posted a few pictures so you have a rough idea what I'm doing with my camera and why I'm looking into that 50-500mm

My husband is mad about rock climbing and mountaineering. Whenever possible I tag along for some pictures but its not fun carrying more than 2 lens in the back pack while hanging on to the wall and changing lens for different shots resulted with a lot of dirt on my sensor.

Here's a picture taken a few weeks ago;

...don't know how to clean the sensor so I may have to send it to Pentax

I was thinking the 50-500mm would be very practical for such outdoor sports as I don't have to change lens for close up or wide angle but in the last 24hrs, I've seen quite a lot of pictures from Bigma which are quite dark. Mountain weather is often very foggy and grey even in summer months, what more in winter skiing months....but the range versatility is too tempting.

Please do share your experience about your 50-500mm Bigma. I would really appreciate it. There are so many lenses, too many choices and I depend on your feedback and experience so I don't have to open up an ebay account

@ Zeek10d;
I will spend some time and check out all your macro lens suggestions. The lighter the better for me to carry around. I also like to hunt butterflies

Cheers
rae

08-08-2008, 08:34 AM   #5

You really don't want to go rock climbing with the 50-500.
08-08-2008, 08:42 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster

it would be marvellous to zoom in from here I would think but with such a foggy condition, I wonder how Bigma would perform?

Imagine how many hours I would spend pixelating this meadow with a nice macro lens.....

oooo I really can't decide......
08-08-2008, 08:44 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Is it really that heavy?

08-08-2008, 09:07 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tripod Quote
Is it really that heavy?
I have had the Bigma and it's 4.2 lbs. You should ask yourself if you could drag such a monster around, especially while rock climbing. It's not exactly handholdable (well, it is, you'll quickly get tired of it).

What about the 180mm macro PLUS a teleconverter? This will take you closer but I'm not sure if the quality of the pictures degrade to a point below the quality of the Bigma at the same focal length.
08-08-2008, 09:29 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tripod Quote
Is it really that heavy?
You have no idea how heavy 4 pounds can be until you lug it around for a while. That's why I've held onto my Sigma 70-300 APO DG lens despite purchasing a Bigma several months ago. That and the fact that it can do reasonably good "macro" photography. You might want to consider the Pentax 55-300 lens, as most who have used it seem to be quite well pleased with it. It would be interesting to see how the 55-300 performs with a 1.4x teleconverter and a Raynox or Canon macro converter.

CN
08-08-2008, 09:36 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I have had the Bigma and it's 4.2 lbs. You should ask yourself if you could drag such a monster around, especially while rock climbing. It's not exactly handholdable (well, it is, you'll quickly get tired of it).
At 4.2 lbs, sounds like that's the only thing I can carry in my backpack minus survival tidbits ie water and wafer I will get the pictures but will dehydrate like a dried prune. Could you share with me why you let your Bigma go? Not only out of curiosity but may also influence my decision.

What about the 180mm macro PLUS a teleconverter? This will take you closer but I'm not sure if the quality of the pictures degrade to a point below the quality of the Bigma at the same focal length.
This is what I had in mind too, stacking 1.4 or 2x TC and I am also no sure about image quality . I haven't research much about this 2 lenses and terribly not sure which one would make a better choice. It would be really wonderful if this combo works for such a situation like mine.
08-08-2008, 09:49 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
viivtar 105 macro with kenko doubles

This is mount fuji, japan shot many kilometres away using vivitar macro 105mm with Kenko doubler (converter). It is not very heavy a lens with this combination.

Hope this helps

marcus
08-08-2008, 09:50 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
You mean you purchase a Bigma and hardly ever use it??
Wah...this lens sounds like terribly heavy thing. hmmm...

On one hand, I felt that I should start investing in primes instead of telezooms.

I have had the 70-300 APO DG and very please with it but it died out 2 months ago. It has been to Nepal and been to 6000meters and very battered & dusty.

I may get the same one but the 55-300 is something well worth considering too. I have never tried Raynox before. It would be interesting if someone who has tried the Canon macro converter share some feed back on this topic.
08-08-2008, 09:57 AM   #13

Which lens or lenses are you using now? I am wondering if a zoom lens + extension tube(s) + a teleconverter might be well-rounded enough to see you through with just one lens. Maybe the 50-135/2.8? Or would that also be too heavy?
08-08-2008, 10:00 AM   #14
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi Marcus,
That picture with Vivitar macro with TC stacked looks great.

Would you be kind enough to post one or 2 more pics with people in it? I would like to see how it would look like?

cheers
rae
08-08-2008, 11:18 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Tripod there is also the DA*60-250 around the corner later this year early next. It is a DA* lens so it will be fully weather sealed.

Maybe go for the Macro first.