Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-07-2008, 07:40 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Will another MFG's lens hood work on a Sigma Lens?

Does anyone know if any of the original lens hoods are compatible with each other? I'm not a big fan of the screw on lens hoods and I like the way most original lens hoods can be reversed and stored on the lens. I just purchased a 70-300mm sigma with a 58mm lens filter size. Can someone recommend a lens hood that will work without having to screw it on? Thanks

08-07-2008, 08:10 AM   #2

Doesn't it come with a hood? Mine did so.
08-07-2008, 08:26 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Unfortunately I bought it used... gently I hope... but it didn't include the original lens hood. It does come with one of those rubber adjustable ones which will do until I find something else.
08-07-2008, 09:01 AM   #4
Pentaxian

My 70-300 Sigma came with a hood. Its a bayonet mount style. If you can't order one from Sigma try Ritz because its the same lens as one of their Quantarays.

08-07-2008, 09:06 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dmoon911 Quote
Does anyone know if any of the original lens hoods are compatible with each other? I'm not a big fan of the screw on lens hoods and I like the way most original lens hoods can be reversed and stored on the lens. I just purchased a 70-300mm sigma with a 58mm lens filter size. Can someone recommend a lens hood that will work without having to screw it on? Thanks
Sigma sells hoods for all their lenses on their official website:

Sigma - Online Mall

If the hood you need isn't listed you can call their customer service department. Sometimes they have hoods for older lenses that aren't listed in their web store.
08-07-2008, 11:44 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
It doesn't look like Sigma will ship to Canada and Ritz doesn't have it listed. I'm sure I could get a local Camera shot to special order it, but I don't want to spend more on the hood than I did the lens.

I guess there is no such thing as a standard lens hood mount?

Last edited by dmoon911; 08-07-2008 at 01:46 PM.
08-07-2008, 12:16 PM   #7
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

The mount tabs are different with the various hoods and manufacturers. If anything was standard in this business then half the questions on the forum woulld not be posted!
08-07-2008, 02:02 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by dmoon911 Quote
Unfortunately I bought it used... gently I hope... but it didn't include the original lens hood. It does come with one of those rubber adjustable ones which will do until I find something else.
A that's a drawback indeed. You could check Dealextreme, lots of Canonians get there lens hoods there.