Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2017, 06:46 AM   #16

Good looking shots!

02-28-2017, 06:58 AM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Any lens with shift capability is a massive advantage for architecture. Such a shame there are so few available for K mount.
02-28-2017, 09:07 AM   #18
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by HankVonHeaven Quote
Good looking shots!
Thank you! It's 90% just being there.

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Any lens with shift capability is a massive advantage for architecture. Such a shame there are so few available for K mount.
I honestly hadn't thought about it until just now, but you're absolutely right. I hate taking photos and only realizing later that my perspective was just slightly askew.
02-28-2017, 09:47 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For sure. I always try to take advantage of the in body composition adjustment on the K mount bodies - it helps but if I'm being picky you still end up doing way more in post in some situations.

02-28-2017, 10:14 AM - 1 Like   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Any lens with shift capability is a massive advantage for architecture...
Though not so much for interiors.

The ongoing discussions regarding rectilinear ultrawide lenses for FF puzzle me, particularly in regard to architectural work and interiors. Low lineal distortion is not the same as accurate portrayal. Area distortion (aka volume anamorphosis), warping of curved lines beyond that attributable to perspective, and bizarre perspective are often the unhappy side effects of having to "fit everything in".* A less severe FOV combined with creative framing is often preferable unless one is aiming for novelty. Just my humble opinion

Steve

* It is not unusual to see water flowing uphill or cars with one side longer than the other with view camera work. More pertinent to this thread is one of the example photos above where there is an apparent "wavy" ceiling due to anomalous rendering of the light fixtures that escaped correction in PP.
02-28-2017, 02:36 PM   #21
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
It is not unusual to see water flowing uphill or cars with one side longer than the other with view camera work. More pertinent to this thread is one of the example photos above where there is an apparent "wavy" ceiling due to anomalous rendering of the light fixtures that escaped correction in PP.
I'm hoping that someone will develop a correction profile for the IRIX, as the default tools in Lightroom are more or less limited to basic barrel distortion and horizonal/vertical corrections, and it's tiring to apply these by eye each time. At some point it's a matter of Effort In vs Result Out.

But now I'm self-conscious. I'll have to give them another pass.

re: rectilinear UWA lenses, it's partially a matter of end goals. Most of the time, the photos exist to draw interest and sell a product. UWA shots exaggerate space in a compelling way and provide spacial context for the surrounding environment that no amount of creative framing with a 35mm can reproduce. I think it's important to provide a mix of fields of view, so I will generally provide 35-50mm handheld shots for details and fixtures on top of the 'show me the room' shots. I feel it works well.

Last edited by kvetcha; 02-28-2017 at 02:43 PM.
02-28-2017, 04:51 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Though not so much for interiors.
True, though for interiors Tilt is much more useful, mainly for its ability to extend DOF when using near-far compositions that are commonly used to give a sense of depth and spaciousness to interiors.

Area distortion (aka volume anamorphosis), warping of curved lines beyond that attributable to perspective, and bizarre perspective are often the unhappy side effects of having to "fit everything in"
I agree, I have worked with the Canon EF TS-E 17mm f/4L lens and I find that lenses rendering characteristic draws far too much attention to itself. I have a preference for using the EF TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II due to the more neutral perspective - not to mention its superior control over distortion.

02-28-2017, 05:35 PM - 1 Like   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Looks great kvetcha
02-28-2017, 07:02 PM - 1 Like   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kvetcha Quote
But now I'm self-conscious. I'll have to give them another pass.
The photos look great and I was not intending to be critical. As you pointed out, tight spaces make it hard. I suspect that many of the commercial brochures for cabinets and decor use open-sided sets rather than "real" rooms to allow for longer focal lengths.

Steve
02-28-2017, 07:06 PM   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I have worked with the Canon EF TS-E 17mm f/4L lens and I find that lenses rendering characteristic draws far too much attention to itself. I have a preference for using the EF TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II due to the more neutral perspective - not to mention its superior control over distortion.
I have been curious regarding the TS-E 17mm and figured that the wide FOV is probably a little over the top even with perspective correction.

Steve
02-28-2017, 07:19 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can confirm that even with corrections, the TS-E 17mm f/4L is over the top.
02-28-2017, 07:22 PM   #27
Forum Member

The photos look great and I was not intending to be critical. As you pointed out, tight spaces make it hard. I suspect that many of the commercial brochures for cabinets and decor use open-sided sets rather than "real" rooms to allow for longer focal lengths.
Cheers, and I don't mind constructive criticism! I definitely ran into a few instances where I could tell something was a wee bit off but the tools I had weren't granular enough to do a whole lot about it. The overall effect is fine for its intended use (a contractor's website), but I would certainly like to continue to hone my technique over time. Comments are always appreciated.
03-01-2017, 04:34 AM   #28
Forum Member

Quick update: I shot a message to Irix and they confirmed they are working on Lightroom lens correction profiles. So that's good.