Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2017, 11:16 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
What to expect from new DFA 50mm f/1.4 and DFA 85mm

By now all of us saw photos of the new DFA 50mm and 85mm is also confirmed. But I am wondering about what should be expecting and what will we probably get.

Currently, Canikon has no real modern pro 50mm lens (except for super expensive Nikkor 58 f/1.4G). Current models are either too soft and/or slow to focus with bad results on high MP cameras. I really wish we could just get Sigma Arts in K mount or even rebranded ones but DFA* lenses will most likely be fresh designs. Although Pentax has a good history with compact primes they haven't really build a great "Fast, Sharp, PRO" prime for some time.

All i wish is new primes to be comparable to Sigma Art lenses in terms of sharpness with decent AF, ok bokeh and priced less than 1 kidney sells on black market

Attached Images

02-23-2017, 11:44 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I must admit it, i was fooled by the image... and i was looking info for this 135mm..... i think the DFA*85mm must be enough, i guess. I will start saving some money.
02-23-2017, 11:47 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by virusn3t Quote
I must admit it, i was fooled by the image... and i was looking info for this 135mm..... i think the DFA*85mm must be enough, i guess. I will start saving some money.

135mm is my favourite focal length but i can live with a great DFA 85mm lens as well. And glad you liked my photo, took me 2 mins in Ps ... And this lens is too "sexy" to be called Pentax, we need more "Utilitarian" designs.
02-23-2017, 12:50 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by G.E.Zekai Quote
All i wish is new primes to be comparable to Sigma Art lenses in terms of sharpness with decent AF
Pentax rendering are still the best. I don't understand why is Sigma the baseline for some. There is much more to a lens than just sharpness. Infact I do not find any Sigmas offering stellar image quality despite being sharp. They are sharp no doubt but that is all about them, No offense.

02-23-2017, 12:55 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had the DP2 and 3 Merrill, and these lenses were far more than just sharp. They really rendered very nicely. I had a hard time selling them just because of the first stunning photos I took with them. (I did in the end because I'm still using my Rolleiflexes more.)
02-23-2017, 02:00 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Veteran Member

Don't the first party brand lenses almost always cost more than the Sigma equivalent? I expect the Pentax 50mm and 85mm to cost more than the Sigma or Tamron equivalents, but less than the Nikon flagship lenses of that FoV+aperture.
Currently, Canikon has no real modern pro 50mm lens (except for super expensive Nikkor 58 f/1.4G). Current models are either too soft and/or slow to focus with bad results on high MP cameras. I really wish we could just get Sigma Arts in K mount or even rebranded ones but DFA* lenses will most likely be fresh designs. Although Pentax has a good history with compact primes they haven't really build a great "Fast, Sharp, PRO" prime for some time.
I'm not sure this is true. Yes, the massive Ziess Otus and Sigma Art lenses are sharper than pretty much anything else available. But many other lenses can still reach the 36MP sensors quite well.

And Pentax has had the DFA 50mm f2.8 (really sharp, highly corrected optics) and the FA 50mm f1.4 and the DA* 55mm f1.4 (Silent focusing, WR, QS, very sharp), FA 43mm ltd (known for pixie dust, nice character, and more than decent sharpness) available for a long time now. And the super-affordable 50mm f1.8. Sometimes Pentaxians are like the stereotypical women standing in front of a closet full of clothes and saying "waah, I don't have anything to wear!"
02-24-2017, 03:55 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Don't the first party brand lenses almost always cost more than the Sigma equivalent? I expect the Pentax 50mm and 85mm to cost more than the Sigma or Tamron equivalents, but less than the Nikon flagship lenses of that FoV+aperture.

I'm not sure this is true. Yes, the massive Ziess Otus and Sigma Art lenses are sharper than pretty much anything else available. But many other lenses can still reach the 36MP sensors quite well.

And Pentax has had the DFA 50mm f2.8 (really sharp, highly corrected optics) and the FA 50mm f1.4 and the DA* 55mm f1.4 (Silent focusing, WR, QS, very sharp), FA 43mm ltd (known for pixie dust, nice character, and more than decent sharpness) available for a long time now. And the super-affordable 50mm f1.8. Sometimes Pentaxians are like the stereotypical women standing in front of a closet full of clothes and saying "waah, I don't have anything to wear!"

Not expecting Pentax lenses to be at same price point as Sigma or Tamron but they should definitely be a tad cheaper than Canikon.

I also agree there is more to a lens than sharpness but it is a very important aspect of it.

DFA 50mm f/2.8 is an excellent macro lens but i rather have a faster lens with faster af for daily use (love macro lenses but they are not perfect for all the scenarios). DA* 55mm is an apsc lens so we should treat it as an 85mm i guess ( like fuji and olympus focusing on 35mm equivalent). 43mm on the other and is in my wish list.

02-24-2017, 05:51 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

That is sort of the definition of LBA for users of any brand. That being said, I think there are more options for 50mm than most focal lengths, and I would probably stand in the mirror complaining about my 135mm options first.
02-24-2017, 06:29 AM   #9
Veteran Member

DFA 50mm f/2.8 is an excellent macro lens but i rather have a faster lens with faster af for daily use (love macro lenses but they are not perfect for all the scenarios). DA* 55mm is an apsc lens so we should treat it as an 85mm i guess ( like fuji and olympus focusing on 35mm equivalent). 43mm on the other and is in my wish list.
Fine points. But I remember reading some reviews of the DA* 55mm that claim it is at least acceptable on FF, even if not completely free of vignetting.
02-24-2017, 08:41 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
That is sort of the definition of LBA for users of any brand. That being said, I think there are more options for 50mm than most focal lengths, and I would probably stand in the mirror complaining about my 135mm options first.
As someone prefers 135mm to 85mm 90% of the time i agree with you. And Pentax always had the "weird" focal lengths. I know we are trying to look more pro to cover all the standards but why not give us random lenses like:

DFA* 140mm f/2 WR
DFA* 87mm f/1.4 WR
DFA 12mm f/4 WR
02-24-2017, 09:08 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Fine points. But I remember reading some reviews of the DA* 55mm that claim it is at least acceptable on FF, even if not completely free of vignetting.
The resolution of the 55 is outstanding. The vignetting is very obvious below f/4. It does, however, come out in Lightroom. and I generally crop a little anyway, so it's not terrible, but I wouldn't mind replacing the lens with a fancy 50.
12-13-2018, 03:03 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Seems like the D FA* 50mm does outperform even the Zeiss lenses
05-25-2020, 01:29 AM   #13
Pentaxian

By now all of us saw photos of the new DFA 50mm and 85mm is also confirmed. But I am wondering about what should be expecting and what will we probably get.
Current image of the D FA* 85mm:
Attached Images

Last edited by angerdan; 05-25-2020 at 03:46 AM.