Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2017, 07:23 AM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax Branding

I wish Pentax used their old and bold naming convention on their newer lenses too. The old branding scheme screams and I like it more than the newer meeky kinds.

Attached Images

02-24-2017, 09:50 AM   #2

What and put up with all the puzzled looks and jeers from the Canikon crowd?
02-24-2017, 09:56 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A little ostentatious for me. I prefer a more demure look.
02-24-2017, 10:28 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
A little ostentatious for me. I prefer a more demure look.
The nail that sticks out is the one that gets hammered.

02-24-2017, 05:02 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by shardulm Quote
I wish Pentax used their old and bold naming convention on their newer lenses too. The old branding scheme screams and I like it more than the newer meeky kinds.

I beg to differ. If Ricoh is intent on positioning Pentax as a premium brand, and that's arguably what they're doing, bold screaming lettering associated with fanboyism rather than a fine competent tool is sending out the wrong message. Have you ever seen a Lamborghini or a Porsche with the brand name screaming at you from the hood or its doors? Well, there is a reason for that.

Don't get me wrong: I'm not suggesting to hide the brand name, but sometimes a little less is just more.
02-24-2017, 05:13 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
What lens is the original image from? I expect it's a larger zoom/tele which has more real estate for a large logo.
02-24-2017, 08:48 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Madaboutpix Quote
I beg to differ. If Ricoh is intent on positioning Pentax as a premium brand, and that's arguably what they're doing, bold screaming lettering associated with fanboyism rather than a fine competent tool is sending out the wrong message. Have you ever seen a Lamborghini or a Porsche with the brand name screaming at you from the hood or its doors? Well, there is a reason for that.

Don't get me wrong: I'm not suggesting to hide the brand name, but sometimes a little less is just more.
You are implying a few things here. ..
1. Pentax under Ricoh is now a premium brand and it was not earlier when they used this scheme. Is it?
2. Pentax lenses were fanboyic and not a competent tool back then. Were they?

I appreciate your thoughts but they were and still are a premium brand and that is something to brag about. And I am not even asking to reinvent the wheel. Just use the old/bold branding which they used already.

---------- Post added 02-24-17 at 10:54 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
What and put up with all the puzzled looks and jeers from the Canikon crowd?
Jeers from Canikon? Sounds like you are faint-hearted.

---------- Post added 02-24-17 at 10:56 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
What lens is the original image from? I expect it's a larger zoom/tele which has more real estate for a large logo.
250-600 yes you are right. .. much bigger hood and real estate for a large logo. But the new lenses/hoods are no pancakes.
02-24-2017, 09:15 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by shardulm Quote
Jeers from Canikon? Sounds like you are faint-hearted.
The last thing a working photographer needs is a lot of distracting attention aimed at them. And can't you recognize a joke when you see one without the or or LOL?

02-24-2017, 10:24 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As far as I can recall, that branding was only on a couple of the longer FA* lenses, which may have been the ones used at sporting or news events, where stand-out logos seem to matter.

Personally, I'm rather pleased that they weren't on the three FA* lenses that I'm fortunate to own. To me, it looks like a company trying hard to make its mark in a new area rather like Japanese light utility trucks thirty years ago, that had the company names screaming at you from the tailgates, and which none of them do, now that they're established. Again, it's my personal opinion, but I wouldn't like to see Pentax using its customers as mobile billboards. Premium doesn't do shouty.