Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-07-2008, 10:06 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Shall I buy this lens?

I'm in a terrible Libran dither. There's an M200 f4 in mint condition going cheap at a shop in Adelaide. Recently I bought an M100 f2.8 from the same shop and it's just such a versatile and stunning lens that I'm awfully tempted to get the 200mm. But for the life of me I can't think what to do with it. It's an odd length - too long for portraits (which I don't take anyway) and too short for nature/wildlife. It'd be great for street photography, but I live in the country, three hours from the nearest city by ferry and road. It's soooooo tempting, but I just can't make up my mind, so I turn to my brothers and sisters and ask, "What would you use a 200mm lens for? Would you get the lens?" (BTW it's to go on a K100DS, so no problems there).

08-07-2008, 10:22 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Wombat Quote
I'm in a terrible Libran dither. There's an M200 f4 in mint condition going cheap at a shop in Adelaide. Recently I bought an M100 f2.8 from the same shop and it's just such a versatile and stunning lens that I'm awfully tempted to get the 200mm. But for the life of me I can't think what to do with it. It's an odd length - too long for portraits (which I don't take anyway) and too short for nature/wildlife. It'd be great for street photography, but I live in the country, three hours from the nearest city by ferry and road. It's soooooo tempting, but I just can't make up my mind, so I turn to my brothers and sisters and ask, "What would you use a 200mm lens for? Would you get the lens?" (BTW it's to go on a K100DS, so no problems there).

How much are they asking?

For mint...

USD $160 - no
$120 - maybe
$75 - oh yeah

08-07-2008, 10:34 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Very nice compact lens the M200
The blur is the wire fence I was shooting through
Pete
08-07-2008, 11:06 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Wow, it's more versatile than I thought. Great shots, guys. The asking price is $AUD95, which is about $US98-100. That's a good price for Australia. It includes a UV filter and front and rear lens caps. Looks like it's hardly been used.
Gee, your beautiful shots are pushing me to indulge myself, here. The agony of indecision!

08-07-2008, 11:42 PM   #5
Veteran Member

buy it if you dont like it a couple of months put on ebay for the same or more.

(200's about a nice length for wombat shots
08-08-2008, 12:05 AM   #6
axl
Veteran Member

I was thinking about M200 too, saw one here in London for 49. Didn't buy.... shame, now I can see them from 89 up which is bit too much for me. Anyway, I bought K400 so I don't think I'll be needing 200 soon...
anyway, supposedly it's a great lens. Very small for it's FL and great opticaly. If it's in good condition and you think you'd use is, then why not...
BR
08-08-2008, 12:42 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by philmorley Quote
buy it if you dont like it a couple of months put on ebay for the same or more.

(200's about a nice length for wombat shots
The first comment is wholly true, the second is true except when the little buggers are trying to bite your ankles, by which time they're uncomfortably close. (But I love 'em). Thanks, mate.

QuoteQuote:
axl.... If it's in good condition and you think you'd use is, then why not...
BR
Ok, I surrender! Lust wins the day over fiscal prudence. Thanks, everyone
08-08-2008, 03:40 AM   #8
Inactive Account

$AUD95, which is about $US98-100
More like US$85

08-08-2008, 03:58 AM   #9
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, it's worth it - where do you get a mint lens like that for a price like that in Oz?
I've got it and used it for things like sports and close-ups with good results stopped down to f/5.6-11.
08-08-2008, 04:31 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Shall I buy this lens?

It includes a UV filter and front and rear lens caps. Looks like it's hardly been used.
My rule (only applies to me) is that any lens I buy MUST have the original caps and case. What I conclude is that it is just possible that the lens may have been properly stored throughout its lifetime. Also helps with LBA since most lenses listed for sale don't have the caps, much less the case.
08-08-2008, 05:24 AM   #11
Syb
Site Supporter

I am currently trying to sell a 200mm lens. Okay, it is not a Pentax, but a Sigma. But the aperture (3.5) is approximately the same, as is the focal length.

My reason to sell it, is that it gets too little use. I love my K2.5/135mm much better. That one is always in my pocket (not the M2.8/100, which I have, too).

I have been tempted by a M4/200mm too. Decided to keep the money in the pocket. No regrets!

Syb
08-08-2008, 02:51 PM   #12
Site Supporter

The first comment is wholly true, the second is true except when the little buggers are trying to bite your ankles, by which time they're uncomfortably close. (But I love 'em). Thanks, mate.
...which is why you never argue with 'em, its just a ploy to get you in close.
But they are entirely lovable.

Enjoy the new lens, and Go Crows!!
PS: actually 200mm would be pretty handy at a footy game from the boundary line.

Last edited by Mallee Boy; 08-08-2008 at 02:53 PM. Reason: see PS
08-08-2008, 07:07 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mallee Boy Quote
...which is why you never argue with 'em, its just a ploy to get you in close.
But they are entirely lovable.

Enjoy the new lens, and Go Crows!!
PS: actually 200mm would be pretty handy at a footy game from the boundary line.
All that is true.

How come you're a Crows supporter? You wouldn't want to let that out in your part of the country, you'd get lynched. (At least it wasn't Port Power. I seem to recall a Final a few years ago...). Are you originally from the mallee country?

Thanks again everyone. All of your input has been valuable and has helped me decide. And thank you ATO for my very timely tax rebate.
08-08-2008, 07:43 PM   #14
Site Supporter

Born and bred in the Mallee wombat...Tyson Edwards country, who was in the same class with my son. Other 'famous' footballing names (this'll give your age away) from our little town were Ian Stasinowsky, Wayne Schmaal and Roger Murdoch (froggy). Rodney (Rocket) Maynard was from the neighbouring town to our south. Moved up here in 99.

Born with one red eye and one blue eye....but had to add a dash yellow when the Crows turned up. (Should've been our license anyway )

Unfortuneatley I was at that fateful game in 2004, in amongst a mob of Power fans....they haven't changed much, some of them even wearing the same shirts.

Cheers.