Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2017, 07:45 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
What is it like on FF? He seems to be using on an A7s 2
Duh, I really should have said that I'm using APS-C.

The two most recent user reviews for the AF version were done with a K-1, though.

02-28-2017, 07:17 AM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
What is it like on FF? He seems to be using on an A7s 2
I am, thanks! Is the Sigma 20mm not a FF lens?
02-28-2017, 08:34 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hopkins802 Quote
I am, thanks! Is the Sigma 20mm not a FF lens?
The Sigma Super Wide 24/2.8 is a FF lens. I posted a link to the reviews (including 2 by folks using the FF K-1) earlier in this thread.
02-28-2017, 10:46 AM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
The Sigma Super Wide 24/2.8 is a FF lens. I posted a link to the reviews (including 2 by folks using the FF K-1) earlier in this thread.
Thanks! Also, I would be using this with a similar crop to APS-C on my GH4. With a speedbooster it brings the crop to around 1.4x in 1080p or 1.63x in 4K. I also already have a k-mount to sony-e adapter so I can use it in full-frame or aps-c on my A7siII. The goal is to find a wide angle that works on both cameras well. The Sigma 24mm Super Wide seems to be a good choice.

However, if anyone can recommend another full-frame vintage 24mm i'm all for it. Seems like the Nikkor's generally get some of the best reviews. I'm trying to spend no more than around $200.

02-28-2017, 04:43 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks! Also, I would be using this with a similar crop to APS-C on my GH4. With a speedbooster it brings the crop to around 1.4x in 1080p or 1.63x in 4K. I also already have a k-mount to sony-e adapter so I can use it in full-frame or aps-c on my A7siII. The goal is to find a wide angle that works on both cameras well. The Sigma 24mm Super Wide seems to be a good choice.

However, if anyone can recommend another full-frame vintage 24mm i'm all for it. Seems like the Nikkor's generally get some of the best reviews. I'm trying to spend no more than around $200.
I guess the problem is that while 24mm is wide on FF and moderately wide on APS-C, it's "normal" on m4/3. The only other solution I can think of in your price range is the Zenit 16mm f/2.8 Fisheye... but it's a fisheye Not tooooo fishy though, from what I've seen.

Zenitar 16mm f2.8 Fisheye Lens Reviews - Russian and Zenitar Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

Have you considered using Minolta lenses on your Sony and GH4?
02-28-2017, 06:14 PM   #21

Original Poster
I guess the problem is that while 24mm is wide on FF and moderately wide on APS-C, it's "normal" on m4/3. The only other solution I can think of in your price range is the Zenit 16mm f/2.8 Fisheye... but it's a fisheye Not tooooo fishy though, from what I've seen.

Zenitar 16mm f2.8 Fisheye Lens Reviews - Russian and Zenitar Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

Have you considered using Minolta lenses on your Sony and GH4?
Well I will be using a speedbooster with the GH4, making the sensor closer to an APS-C. I was eyeing the Pentax 18mm f/4 and 20mm f2.8. Neither of them got stellar reviews and were a bit pricey. I'm checking out the Canon 20mm f/2.8.. I know a completely different route, but I just can't seem to find many fast 20mm lenses with good reviews.
02-28-2017, 09:35 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well I will be using a speedbooster with the GH4, making the sensor closer to an APS-C. I was eyeing the Pentax 18mm f/4 and 20mm f2.8. Neither of them got stellar reviews and were a bit pricey. I'm checking out the Canon 20mm f/2.8.. I know a completely different route, but I just can't seem to find many fast 20mm lenses with good reviews.
Oh right, I forgot about the Speedbooster.

It's difficult finding really good wide angle lenses for not too much money. A 20mm lens is more complicated and expensive to design and manufacture than, say, a 50mm. Many "reasonably priced" older wide angles are soft on the edges. Sometimes one can find a Pentax DA 21 Ltd. for around $200, but that doesn't have an aperture ring so you'd be stuck shooting wide open.

02-28-2017, 10:11 PM   #23

Original Poster
Oh right, I forgot about the Speedbooster.

It's difficult finding really good wide angle lenses for not too much money. A 20mm lens is more complicated and expensive to design and manufacture than, say, a 50mm. Many "reasonably priced" older wide angles are soft on the edges. Sometimes one can find a Pentax DA 21 Ltd. for around $200, but that doesn't have an aperture ring so you'd be stuck shooting wide open.
Cool, gotchya. I would be fine with a really solid 24mm. I don't need anything crazy wide. I'm going between the Sigma Super Wide 24mm, Nikkor 24mm and Minolta MD Rokkor-X 24mm. I'm trying to match them to current production lenses a bit, so I'll be going for contrast, color rendition and sharpness. Less about character for me on this one, more about a solid performer. Thanks!
02-28-2017, 10:36 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good luck with your quest! Whichever lens you get, I hope you'll post pics - many of us are fans of adapted lenses.
03-01-2017, 04:15 AM   #25
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

I just finished a month shooting with my copy of the SMC 24mm f2.8 and was surprised at its versatility and how it renders color...

here is my album for this lens:

SMC 24mm f2.8 | Flickr
03-01-2017, 07:14 AM - 1 Like   #26

Original Poster
Good luck with your quest! Whichever lens you get, I hope you'll post pics - many of us are fans of adapted lenses.
Will do!

---------- Post added 03-01-17 at 07:37 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
I just finished a month shooting with my copy of the SMC 24mm f2.8 and was surprised at its versatility and how it renders color...

here is my album for this lens:

SMC 24mm f2.8 | Flickr
Thanks! The Nikkor just seems to have a bit more contrast in test videos. I will probably just have to find out for myself!