Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
02-27-2017, 02:10 PM   #1

K Mount Wide Angle

Hey all,

Looking for wide angle k-mount lens recommendations. I'm going to be using it on my GH4 and A7sii. I'll be speedboosting it on my GH4 so it will as close to the actual focal length as I can get. Looking for something in the 15 - 24mm range. I already have a 28mm, but I can only use it on my Sony. Something around 20mm would be awesome but I know those are rarer.

Thanks,
Dan

02-27-2017, 02:14 PM   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
If your OK with manual focus lenses, I can recommend both the Pentax-A 15mm F3.5 and Pentax-A 20mm F2.8.

SMC Pentax-A 15mm F3.5 Reviews - A Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

SMC Pentax-A 20mm F2.8 Reviews - A Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
02-27-2017, 02:24 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Totally good with manual focus! Thanks!

---------- Post added 02-27-17 at 02:25 PM ----------

Those both look awesome, however I'm looking for something a bit cheaper. That 15 looks awesome though!
02-27-2017, 02:27 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hopkins802 Quote
Totally good with manual focus! Thanks!

---------- Post added 02-27-17 at 02:25 PM ----------

Those both look awesome, however I'm looking for something a bit cheaper. That 15 looks awesome though!
Have you looked at Samyang lenses? The 24mm F1.4 or 14mm F2.8 might be good options.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-27-2017, 02:32 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Have you looked at Samyang lenses? The 24mm F1.4 or 14mm F2.8 might be good options.
I have, I used to have the 14 and liked it. I forgot to mention that I'm trying to find something with a smaller filter size. I just checked out the nikkor 24mm ai and canon fd 24mm, and they seem to get good reviews. Anyone have experience with either of those lenses?
02-27-2017, 03:07 PM   #6

Photos: Albums
To add mentions suggested above:

Check out the new Irix and Venus Optic Laowa lenses. I believe these 2 brands have 4 uwa lenses for K mount: 11mm f/4, 15mm f/2.4 , 12mm f/2.8, 15mm f/4 macro
02-27-2017, 03:38 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Sigma Super Wide II AF 24/2.8 is the sharpest edge-to-edge wide angle lens I've ever used. Flare resistance isn't great, but it has well-saturated color and good contrast. I've owned 2 of the MF versions and they also are very good, although a touch softer in the corners. 52mm filter size.

Sigma 24mm F2.8 AF Super Wide II Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

Edit: the Sigma has been well-loved among the Nikon community as being a cheaper alternative to the Nikkor 24/2.8 without giving up anything in image quality.

02-27-2017, 04:12 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Zekai suggested the 15mm Irix, but the front is YUGE, so not the lens to select if you're hoping for a small filter size.
02-27-2017, 04:15 PM - 1 Like   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

This tool lets you search genuine Pentax lenses by filter size:

Pentax Lens Search | PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-27-2017, 04:20 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
The Sigma Super Wide II AF 24/2.8 is the sharpest edge-to-edge wide angle lens I've ever used. Flare resistance isn't great, but it has well-saturated color and good contrast. I've owned 2 of the MF versions and they also are very good, although a touch softer in the corners. 52mm filter size.

Sigma 24mm F2.8 AF Super Wide II Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

Edit: the Sigma has been well-loved among the Nikon community as being a cheaper alternative to the Nikkor 24/2.8 without giving up anything in image quality.
I've heard good things about this lens! How is the MF ring in the AF version? I'm using this only for video and you said the MF version is a bit softer? I'm assuming a big enough lens hood would help with with flare? Distortion doesn't bother me.

Thanks!
Dan
02-27-2017, 04:33 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The SMC Pentax-M 20mm F4 Reviews - M Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database is a sweet little lens with a 49 mm filter ring.
02-27-2017, 06:14 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Wow, didn't know about the lens search tool.
02-27-2017, 06:27 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
Wow, didn't know about the lens search tool.
Same, it's awesome!
02-27-2017, 06:45 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hopkins802 Quote
I've heard good things about this lens! How is the MF ring in the AF version? I'm using this only for video and you said the MF version is a bit softer? I'm assuming a big enough lens hood would help with with flare? Distortion doesn't bother me.

Thanks!
Dan
MF on the AF version isn't bad, it's about a 120 degree turn, the ring is lightly dampened but IMO it would be better if dampened a bit more. It's decent action, though.

The MF version is a little bit soft in the corners, but through most of the frame it's very sharp. The two MF copies I owned performed identically, focusing action was stellar, and if I didn't luck out and obtain the AF version I would happily still be using the MF model.

It flares more than a modern lens, but is hardly a flare monster like its 28mm sibling. I used a cheap vented-style lens hood on mine and its fine.

Unfortunately I don't have any test pics I took with the MF versions, just everyday pics where there's nothing to scrutinize in the corners. The close focus capability is very nice.

02-27-2017, 07:31 PM   #15
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
MF on the AF version isn't bad, it's about a 120 degree turn, the ring is lightly dampened but IMO it would be better if dampened a bit more. It's decent action, though.

The MF version is a little bit soft in the corners, but through most of the frame it's very sharp. The two MF copies I owned performed identically, focusing action was stellar, and if I didn't luck out and obtain the AF version I would happily still be using the MF model.

It flares more than a modern lens, but is hardly a flare monster like its 28mm sibling. I used a cheap vented-style lens hood on mine and its fine.

Unfortunately I don't have any test pics I took with the MF versions, just everyday pics where there's nothing to scrutinize in the corners. The close focus capability is very nice.

What is it like on FF? He seems to be using on an A7s 2