Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2017, 09:52 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Help Identify Several 3rd Party Lenses

Hello,

An elderly lady auditing one of my classes kindly gave me her unused set of ME Super, lenses, and accessories. I was able to identify the two Pentax lenses that it came with (M50/1.7, but sadly could be infested with a dot of fungus, and M50/2), however I was unable to identify these two lenses, and they don't exist in the forum database, either.

The first is a Soligor in the vanilla K mount, with no contacts or Ricoh pin, 35-140/3.8-5.3.

The second is also in the vanilla K mount, a Super-Albinon 28/2.8, with a MFD of 0.2m and max reproduction ratio of 1:4.

And it seems to be housed in the same barrel as my Ensinor 24/2.8 macro (right):

Have anyone used these lenses, and could any give some input on their performance?

Sincerely

02-28-2017, 10:03 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Slap them on your camera, take a few pictures, and tell us what you think in a quick review in the database! It's not hard to add lenses to the forum database -- about has hard as creating a new thread. A review can be as easy as you want it to be -- just subjective impressions of the lens and how it handles.

You may well be PF's expert on these lenses.
02-28-2017, 10:11 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Google is your friend eg

Hin's Photo Corner: Albinar 28mm f/2.8 Macro Test Shots
02-28-2017, 10:16 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by marcusBMG Quote
I don't think this is quite the same lens…

通过我的 Nexus 6P 上的 Tapatalk发言

02-28-2017, 10:18 AM - 1 Like   #5
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I believe all of those lenses were sold under a variety of different names - they're pretty generic models; however, that doesn't mean they're bad lenses...

They're in lovely condition. I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun with them! As @photoptomist says, try them out and let us know what you think of them!
02-28-2017, 10:36 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

I have that Super Albinon in a Minolta mount. Mine may say 'Super Albinar' but it looks just the same and is actually not a bad lens for what it is. Back in the heyday of consumer SLR cameras in the '80s and '90s, Albinar was kind of like Vivitar in that they sourced lenses from third parties and sold them under their own brand. The Ensinor lens could well be from the same manufacturer but sold through different retailers. In my area, Albinar lenses were sold pretty much exclusively by a catalog showroom store called Best Products. For a long time, I had assumed it was a house brand for that particular retailer but I've since learned those lenses were sold through a variety of outlets.
02-28-2017, 10:50 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The 28mm looks very similar to the Gemini that I had in the 80s...Probably came from the same factory, because like Albinar, Gemini was sold through a catalog showroom called Service Merchandise...
03-01-2017, 05:15 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Well, this doesn't look promising:
"the worst lens sold" Soligor 35-140mm ?
Yeah but that's not quite the lens I have. I am assuming that Soligor sourced lenses from various different OEMs, which had similar or same specs but has various performances.

---------- Post added 03-01-17 at 06:02 AM ----------

Serial numbers... | Soligor MF Lenses - °Value° | Flickr indicates my lens was made by Sun. Never heard of this manufacturer.

03-03-2017, 11:58 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Actually my copy doesn't look bad at all, at least on the telephoto end.

f8, 140mm, mounted on Sony NEX-6 via Mitakon Lens Turbo II

100% crop

Last edited by butangmucat; 03-03-2017 at 12:07 PM.
03-03-2017, 01:15 PM   #10
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by butangmucat Quote
Actually my copy doesn't look bad at all, at least on the telephoto end.

f8, 140mm, mounted on Sony NEX-6 via Mitakon Lens Turbo II
Considering you're using a Lens Turbo II with it, which doesn't do the corners any favours, it looks pretty good to me. Certainly useable. I suspect it may be even better at the wide and middle parts of the focal length range too
03-03-2017, 01:56 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Considering you're using a Lens Turbo II with it, which doesn't do the corners any favours, it looks pretty good to me. Certainly useable. I suspect it may be even better at the wide and middle parts of the focal length range too
I did crop this image a bit, will update 100% crop of cropped-out corners when I get back.
03-05-2017, 10:09 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Without cropping, the edge doesn't look promising. But the center is pretty good.

Edge 100% crop