Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
Try this:
Dropbox - Pentax forums
The second one is at f4

The individual images are 3200 x 1200 crops of the 4900 x 3200 sensor of my K01
Thank you! Great help

---------- Post added 02-28-17 at 01:36 PM ----------

interesting, from these tests it seems Super Tak 8 elements and Chinon 1.4 are slightly sharper, but focus point doesn't seem to vary a little bit, especially on A50 1.4? Anyway, seems they are all very close to each other, so I guess any of them would do)

02-28-2017, 01:10 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photodesignch Quote
It will be boiling down to the personal taste eventually.

---------- Post added 02-28-17 at 10:52 AM ----------

Sadly! there is no such thing as ultra sharp on F1.4... even Leica..... They appears to be A LITTLE sharper, but obviously lenses were never designed to be always use on widest aperture if you are looking for sharpness. For wider opening aperture to have optimal sharpness, you might as well go smaller aperture lens like 50mm F1.7, 1.8, 2.0, 2.8...etc...
The 1.4 on my Rokinon 85mm f/1.4 Pentax mount is a fair bit sharper, but exhibits more chromatic aberrations.

Now I'm not talking "tack sharp", I'm talking about it could be a fair bit sharper than where it's at already.
02-28-2017, 01:44 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Wide open sharpness and 50mm F/1.4 are mutually exclusive...
I think there's exceptions to that rule... while my Rikenon P 50 1.4 isn't pin sharp wide open, it's sharp enough.

K-S1, straight out of camera:

Not the best picture but I uploaded it because it's very sharp at 1.4.

I have full versions on the flickr account, in case anyone wants to pixel peep.

I think if I nail the focus, it's about as sharp as my much newer Sigma 30mm f.1.4 Art Series. It also improves to pin sharp one click down, just like the Sigma.
02-28-2017, 02:03 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I did not do comparative tests but I know my feelings. I have about a dozen 1,4/50s and for the build quality and above average performance, I would always go for a Pentax K 1,4/50. It is sharp enough, and the focus ring is a dream with that brass-aluminium helicoid combo. Always a pleasure to use.

02-28-2017, 02:27 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Audi 5 cyl Quote
I did not do comparative tests but I know my feelings. I have about a dozen 1,4/50s and for the build quality and above average performance, I would always go for a Pentax K 1,4/50. It is sharp enough, and the focus ring is a dream with that brass-aluminium helicoid combo. Always a pleasure to use.
I hear the K series is still brass/brass and the M and A are brass/aluminum. Anyone can confirm?
02-28-2017, 02:36 PM   #21
Pentaxian

For manual-focus handling and that subjective something, go for a Takumar. For ease of use on a DSLR as well as film cameras, Pentax-A - put it on automatic, leave it there, and drive it through the camera.

The FA50/1.4 is usually much more expensive than $100US (usually at least twice that, especially since it's still in production). It's by no means the ideal manual focus lens on a film body, but if the film body in question has a microprism and split centre, that makes it a lot easier - I've been shooting the FA50/1.4 on my MX for the past week and the damping is more than acceptable for getting there without overriding and holding focus where you left it.

(Ideally I would buy and use a K, M or A lens for film, but I'm currently carrying an APS-C DSLR and a film body overseas with me, and I wanted to maximise the utility of my lens set while minimising its volume. Next year will probably be film-only and that will change all the rules.)

---------- Post added 28-02-17 at 18:09 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Wide open sharpness and 50mm F/1.4 are mutually exclusive...
Absolutely. This is a design feature, pretty much - at the very least, those who really love this lens seem to interpret it as such.
02-28-2017, 02:41 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
I hear the K series is still brass/brass and the M and A are brass/aluminum. Anyone can confirm?
You sir, made me doubt my beliefs so I opened my k 1,4/50 to check it. It is brass/alu. Alu male side, brass female side of the helicoid.

02-28-2017, 03:55 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Audi 5 cyl Quote
You sir, made me doubt my beliefs so I opened my k 1,4/50 to check it. It is brass/alu. Alu male side, brass female side of the helicoid.
Thank you for the confirmation
02-28-2017, 04:13 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
There is brass and aluminum in Takumar and SMC K lenses; M lenses might have a small number of plastic parts but I don't know that; there are plastic parts in A and later lenses.
02-28-2017, 04:57 PM   #25
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
Thank you! Great help

---------- Post added 02-28-17 at 01:36 PM ----------

interesting, from these tests it seems Super Tak 8 elements and Chinon 1.4 are slightly sharper, but focus point doesn't seem to vary a little bit, especially on A50 1.4? Anyway, seems they are all very close to each other, so I guess any of them would do)
Yes by the time you dial in focussing error and sample variation I don't thing you could deduce any difference from these results. I think it boils down to how you like to use your camera. Personally I don't like using the green button metering with the M & Ks - I find the results too random. Instead I leave Ms partially unmounted and then they meter manually. A good argument for As and Taks.
03-03-2017, 10:58 AM   #26

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
I've read the opposite is true. Oh well different opinions I guess. I picked up the SMC M 50 1.4 for $39 on eBay and have had quite a bit of fun with it.

There is no such thing as a bad 50mm. I've used across all brands with 50mm. All I am saying is -A does have a little edge on sharpness on F1.4 but that's not likely I would use F1.4 at all time because none of the prime 50 will do great on the widest opening on aperture especially anything bigger than F1.7 anyway. It's the physical of the lens design.

If you want ultra bokeh but still super sharp.. What you are looking for is probably medium format lens. Because you are technically using 75mm Bokeh a F2.8 sharpness, but achieve F1.4 or less bokeh.
03-03-2017, 11:01 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
There is no such thing as a bad 50mm. I've used across all brands with 50mm. All I am saying is -A does have a little edge on sharpness on F1.4 but that's not likely I would use F1.4 at all time because none of the prime 50 will do great on the widest opening on aperture especially anything bigger than F1.7 anyway. It's the physical of the lens design.

If you want ultra bokeh but still super sharp.. What you are looking for is probably medium format lens. Because you are technically using 75mm Bokeh but F2.8 sharpness, but achieve F1.4 or less bokeh.
No i'm just looking at a 50 1.4 to play with, and was wondering which one is the better one to pick up.
03-03-2017, 11:07 AM   #28

Normally timeline goes from Takumar > K > A > M > F > FA.
The M series precedes the A series. The A series was introduced along with the KA mount changes (contacts).
03-03-2017, 11:09 AM   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
As title states, I'm thinking to get a 1.4 50 to play around with, try video maybe, and just to add a nice lens to my vintage collection)
I've looked at SMC 50 1.4, and SMC-M 50 1.4, as well as the legendary Takumars 50 1.4
What would you guys say is the better one? Or is there one I've missed? Mainly looking at wide open sharpness for this one
Also probably won't buy anything much over 100$ as I just got a DFA 28-105 recently.

Thanks!
I'm selling my chinon auto 50mm 1.4 on this site. Take a look at the reviews!

Chinon Auto MC 50mm F1.4 Lens Reviews - Miscellaneous Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
03-03-2017, 11:29 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hopkins802 Quote
I'm selling my chinon auto 50mm 1.4 on this site. Take a look at the reviews!

Chinon Auto MC 50mm F1.4 Lens Reviews - Miscellaneous Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
Yup, seen it! Tempting, I'm thinking about it (also looking at few other listings here and on ebay).