Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2017, 12:10 PM   #31
Junior Member




Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 38
QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
Yup, seen it! Tempting, I'm thinking about it (also looking at few other listings here and on ebay).
Let me know! May be willing to do free shipping!

03-03-2017, 12:30 PM   #32
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2016
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,688
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hopkins802 Quote
Let me know! May be willing to do free shipping!
Thanks! Will do
03-03-2017, 12:52 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
boriscleto's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: North Syracuse, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 13,243
QuoteOriginally posted by photodesignch Quote
There is no such thing as a bad 50mm. .
Ever used a Meyer-Optik Domiplan 50mm F/2.8?
03-03-2017, 02:04 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2015
Photos: Albums
Posts: 548
I was thinking of a pretty crusty Industar I used once...

It was never sharp, but I have one on LTM that isn't bad...

I'd go with an off-brand f1.4 for budget fun. Sears or Kmart or something like that...

-Eric

03-03-2017, 02:24 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
boriscleto's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: North Syracuse, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 13,243
QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
I was thinking of a pretty crusty Industar I used once...

It was never sharp, but I have one on LTM that isn't bad...

I'd go with an off-brand f1.4 for budget fun. Sears or Kmart or something like that...

-Eric
A Sears 1.4 would be a Ricoh...
03-03-2017, 08:54 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2015
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 6,119
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
A Sears 1.4 would be a Ricoh...
I was under the impression that many of the bodies were Ricoh (the model numbers were a giveaway), but some of the lenses were Chinon.
03-03-2017, 10:20 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
boriscleto's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: North Syracuse, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 13,243
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
I was under the impression that many of the bodies were Ricoh (the model numbers were a giveaway), but some of the lenses were Chinon.
I think only one was a Chinon. The 50mm F1.7 that came with the KSX-P. It is different than the other 50/1.7s that were made by Ricoh. I have one and it is a nice lens, if not quite as well made as a Pentax M 50/1.7. Chinon made a 28/2.8 as well, but I don't know if Sears ever sold it.
03-04-2017, 04:21 PM   #38
Senior Member




Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Winterthur
Posts: 147
I have many many 50mm lenses.

My favourites are:

- 8-Element Takumar
- Pentax A50/1,4 (for ease of use, but a Tak is almost as easy to use) I prefer it to the much more expensive FA 50/1,4.
- Revuenon 50/1,4 (8 blade version, I prefer it over the Chinon which has 6 blades, the Revuenon is sharper, wide open very squirly bokeh,
from F4 super sharp and very nice boheh, less CA and it is even lighter. You can also find it label Agfa)

- another great and very cheap one is the Super-Takumar 55/1,8.

Well, and then there are great 50mm macros!

And then there is the great FA43, almost 50 millimeters and what a special but sometimes quite tricky lens! One of the best coatings if not the very best of all Pentax coatings, the so called "ghostless smc coating", which you find on all other FA-limiteds as well as on the early (green*) SMC DA21 and early DA40 limited. Even the DA35/2,4 has this coating.

*green versus red ring which has the more modern HD coating

---------- Post added 03-04-17 at 04:31 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I think only one was a Chinon. The 50mm F1.7 that came with the KSX-P. It is different than the other 50/1.7s that were made by Ricoh. I have one and it is a nice lens, if not quite as well made as a Pentax M 50/1.7. Chinon made a 28/2.8 as well, but I don't know if Sears ever sold it.
If I recall it rightly the MC version of the Auto-Sears was made by Chinon. The standard 50mm 1,7 Auto-Sears was made by Ricoh.
The Ricoh Rikenon 50 1,7 is indeed a nice lens.

03-04-2017, 04:39 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
boriscleto's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: North Syracuse, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 13,243
QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
If I recall it rightly the MC version of the Auto-Sears was made by Chinon. The standard 50mm 1,7 Auto-Sears was made by Ricoh.
The Ricoh Rikenon 50 1,7 is indeed a nice lens.
I have the Chinon made 1.7. It's labeled Auto Sears MC. Made in Japan. 49mm filter thread (The Ricoh has a 52mm filter thread).

The Sears 28mm I have is made in Korea and has a 52mm filter thread, so I don't think it's a Chinon...but then again, it could be...
03-08-2017, 12:17 PM   #40
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2016
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,688
Original Poster
Ok, snatched a Pentax-A 50 1.4 on ebay, looks pretty clean and well maintained (counting my prayers, hope I'm not mistaken), and also comes with a nice looking Pentax Program Plus 35mm SLR.
Happy so far, hope lens is in good condition, really want to try it with K-1
03-08-2017, 02:43 PM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 22,032
QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
Ok, snatched a Pentax-A 50 1.4 on ebay, looks pretty clean and well maintained (counting my prayers, hope I'm not mistaken), and also comes with a nice looking Pentax Program Plus 35mm SLR.
Happy so far, hope lens is in good condition, really want to try it with K-1
You should be very happy with that lens.
03-08-2017, 03:20 PM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 387
QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
And then there is the great FA43, almost 50 millimeters and what a special but sometimes quite tricky lens! One of the best coatings if not the very best of all Pentax coatings, the so called "ghostless smc coating", which you find on all other FA-limiteds as well as on the early (green*) SMC DA21 and early DA40 limited. Even the DA35/2,4 has this coating.

The FA 20-35 also has the ghostless coating.
03-08-2017, 03:35 PM   #43
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2016
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,688
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
You should be very happy with that lens.
Pretty sure I will be, just hoping it's as good as it looks to be (condition-wise))
03-08-2017, 09:03 PM   #44
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2016
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,688
Original Poster
What hood works with that lens?
03-09-2017, 02:21 PM   #45
Senior Member




Join Date: Feb 2014
Photos: Albums
Posts: 133
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Ever used a Meyer-Optik Domiplan 50mm F/2.8?
That's different story.. You are talking about when the time industrial age where production wasn't consistent. I am talking about after mass production. I have Nikon AIS 50, F 50, Canon USMII 50/1.8, Pentax-A 50/1.4, 43, 50/1.7, SMC takumar 55, DA35, FA50 macro, Leica 50/2.8, 40/2.0, Leica-R 50 (1st version summicron), Voigtlander 35/2.5, Contax 50, Contax G 45, sony zeiss 55... list goes on from 35mm ~ 50mm.. They are the most practical focal length and best resolution as well! I haven't met a single one that's actually bad. As for indust-star 50 I had once.. I didn't like it because it's too easy to lose in the pocket. Building quality is not even compare to the crappiest Canon 50.. But when that lens step down to F4 and beyond, it's still a very sharp lens for black and white.

Like i said.. there is no such thing as bad standard (or bad 50s)..

And yes.. I haven't tried Meyer-Optik.. aren't they famous for bokeh not sharpness anyway?

---------- Post added 03-09-17 at 01:25 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by krazykat Quote
The FA 20-35 also has the ghostless coating.

Yep! only if you can really find one on ebay.. this thing is as rare as 24-90 or 28/2 and 28/3.5 (which I had both 24-90 and 28/3.5)... 24-90 I sold it a while back because I didn't like the 70mm~90mm.. they were too soft. but the color of this lens was amazing though! Just not building quality.. (ark! Sometimes I understand cheap plastic means faster focus and cheaper production, but 24-90 and DA 35/2.4 were the only two I sold them due to the fact they were too cheaply built).
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
1.4, 50mm, 50mm f/1.4, aperture, body, canon, chinon, coatings, dslr, fa50/1.4, film, focus, k-mount, lack, lens, look, pentax, pentax lens, revuenon, ricoh, series, sharpness, slr lens, smc, takumar, version
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking to Get a Zoom Lens Rail to Stabilize the lens rollsman4 Pentax Medium Format 4 02-27-2017 08:49 PM
K-1 camera looking for a good walk around lens ???? Gold Coast Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 6 06-11-2016 10:17 AM
Looking to buy a flash - opinions? cyclone3d Flashes, Lighting, and Studio 21 12-30-2015 08:28 AM
To buy or not to buy Pentax HD DA 15mm f/4 ED AL Limited Lens manuel392003 Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 16 03-17-2014 04:03 PM
Looking to buy a telephoto lens schnitzer79 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 39 03-13-2014 12:51 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:10 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top