Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-09-2008, 08:59 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MrA Quote
I picked one up for a fiver (£5) at Ffordes Photographic (Beauly, Inverness) via there website. Very reasonable. Keep an eye on their secondhand section, you may get lucky. Imagine they ship to Eire.
I used your link and found one at a UK shop. Emailed them but might have to wait a while for a response. Was £10 but that's the cheapest I could find.

08-09-2008, 09:31 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
I used your link and found one at a UK shop. Emailed them but might have to wait a while for a response. Was £10 but that's the cheapest I could find.
Seriously, 20£. Thats what, 3 pizzas? 2 visits to the movies? 10 icecreams?
08-09-2008, 09:46 AM   #18
Inactive Account

I had one of the "can't focus infinity flange adapters" but UPS delivered my genuine Pentax adapter yesterday. It's so much better using something quality made!!!!!

Robin if you got it for 10 Sterling, that's something like $19.20 USD and that's $10 less than I paid from Pentax, not including shipping.

CW
08-09-2008, 10:19 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
m42 adapter

Robin,

Much has already been spoken. Clone M42 Roxsen type or Bower type is able to have infinity focus. The only set-back is when you want to dislodge or dis-mount the adapter, sometimes it is hard with the metal equipmnet supplied. Still this is the best adapter if you cannot find the original pentax type shown in some of your post here.

m42 adapter opens the doorway to the screw mount smc takumar, which have some of the best optics available at a reasonable cost. Also applicable to Helios, Jupiter, volna macro and many others.....old german lens..., voigtlander too.

A great start to have this adapter.

marcus

08-09-2008, 12:38 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Zewrak Quote
Seriously, 20£. Thats what, 3 pizzas? 2 visits to the movies? 10 icecreams?
With a 13-year-old around 10 ice creams goes a long way.

Seriously though I'm happy to find one for £15, but I haven't finished the transaction yet so I'm not counting chickens.
08-10-2008, 05:29 AM   #21
MrA

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Easy to install and remove (on those rare times I remove it) with just a fingernail.
Same can be said of the pentax adaptor.

That said, be warned. The fingernail technique leaves them prone to 'pop' out, and being round, like filters and lens caps, they like to roll.

I was reminded of this to my cost yesterday, when mine rolled off of a railway platform and onto the track. Luckily (and this is generally not something I'd advise), this was a back-of-beyond railway terminus (Looe, UK), one platform, train once a blue moon, and the adaptor was right by the buffer stop, so after duly checking for trains I hopped down to get it!
08-10-2008, 06:31 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I was reminded of this to my cost yesterday, when mine rolled off of a railway platform and onto the track. Luckily (and this is generally not something I'd advise), this was a back-of-beyond railway terminus (Looe, UK), one platform, train once a blue moon, and the adaptor was right by the buffer stop, so after duly checking for trains I hopped down to get it!
The Adventures Of The M42 Lovers Part 24.

08-10-2008, 10:02 AM   #23
Inactive Account

I was reminded of this to my cost yesterday, when mine [M42 adapter] rolled off of a railway platform and onto the track. Luckily (and this is generally not something I'd advise), this was a back-of-beyond railway terminus (Looe, UK), one platform, train once a blue moon, and the adaptor was right by the buffer stop, so after duly checking for trains I hopped down to get it!
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
The Adventures Of The M42 Lovers Part 24.
OK guys let's get serious!!! These Super Tak lenses are really dangerous in the hands of amateurs. I had never even considered that one can get run over by a train as a consequence of using M42 lenses. I posted the following warning in another thread where the OP was talking up his 50/1.4:

"Well, at least you're using a Super-Multi-Coated Tak. I'm a straight Super Tak guy. But really, let's quit talking up any Takumar lens. All those C***n and N***n users are running around bidding these wonderful lenses to ridiculous prices. Have you priced a decent 85 or 105 recently? As for the 35/2.0, fugeddaboutit!!!

If they ask about your lens in class, tell them that it is radioactive, that they have to have an EPA permit to use the lens, and if they are not properly trained in the use of Takumar lenses, they could have their shooting eye shrivel up and fall out, and maybe most of their teeth for all I know."

So let's get serious. A vow of SILENCE (at least about Taks) which will make the Mafia look talkative, or as an alternative, point out the dangers of using these lenses. I'm sure that most never considered the "Run Over by the Train" outcome.

For Mike Cash: You are the worst one. Give us a break. Change your signature. Quit posting those wonderful shots you take.

Together we can get those prices down!!!
08-10-2008, 11:33 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wlank Quote
Down? They are cheap! Tbh, I have no problem paying the price they cost. My whole collection cost me less then a modern Sigma zoom.

Quality per buck is already at the lowest point they can get, infact, If they were sold as metaltrash, they would probably be more expensive .
08-10-2008, 12:03 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Having been properly chastised, I am now considering dumping all my S-M-C Takumars.

I suppose I'll have to scrounge up some Auto-Takumars to replace them with, so I can one-up the Super Takumar crowd.
08-10-2008, 01:06 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wlank Quote

So let's get serious. A vow of SILENCE (at least about Taks) which will make the Mafia look talkative, or as an alternative, point out the dangers of using these lenses. ...

What are Super Takumars?

Probably something plastic & dumb. I'll not speak of them again. If some shots of mine make their way into this thread, well.... Certainly not taken by finely crafted, butter-smooth-focus, all metal, swiss-clock-tick aperture ring, $1200-if-made-new-today, tack-sharp, mildly radioactive figments of everyone's collective imagination.

They're obviously a myth started by the Pentax crowd to play the CaNikonies as the fools they (often) are.

Nothing to see here, move along.....

Last edited by jsherman999; 08-10-2008 at 01:14 PM.
08-10-2008, 05:11 PM   #27
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
What are Super Takumars?

Probably something plastic & dumb. I'll not speak of them again. If some shots of mine make their way into this thread, well.... Certainly not taken by finely crafted, butter-smooth-focus, all metal, swiss-clock-tick aperture ring, $1200-if-made-new-today, tack-sharp, mildly radioactive figments of everyone's collective imagination.

They're obviously a myth started by the Pentax crowd to play the CaNikonies as the fools they (often) are.

Nothing to see here, move along.....
Now we're getting somewhere!!! Maybe edit your post and remove the word "mildly".
08-11-2008, 10:50 AM   #28
MrA

Hideously radioactive, I hear. Could cause infertility. Wouldn't want to risk using 'em, that's for sure.
08-14-2008, 03:16 PM   #29
Inactive Account

M42 virgin still

Still breathlessly awaiting the deflowering of rparmar.
08-14-2008, 05:03 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
He he. My source for a reasonable adaptor dried up. (Sold!) But in any case I'm still awaiting the lens.