Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-08-2008, 07:45 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
M42 Virgin No Longer

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Well, I bit the bullet and paid over the odds for a lens that seems quite distinctive. As it happens I bought it off a former Vivitar Engineer! More on that when it arrives.

Now I need an adapter to k-mount. Everyone recommends the Pentax (to allow infinity focus) but I cannot find them in Europe. Anyone got one at a reasonable price?

I have also heard of Roxen being ok. Confirmation?

Am very excited to get my lens.

(And a TX Vivitar on its way as well... I am going mount crazy!)

08-08-2008, 07:48 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Just realised to try the Wanted forum. Will leave this thread for comments on the best adapters.
08-08-2008, 08:02 AM   #3
Veteran Member

pentax is the way to go because
i. can be installed and removed w/o tools
ii. infinity focus
08-08-2008, 08:08 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hinman:
I wrote up bunch of M42 adapters articles in my blog post, I would recommend the Genuine adapter from Pentax as the best option.
I post this before and like many others, I recommend the Genuine Pentax M42 to K Adapter. In the blog post, I mention few place to get it including the link to Pentax webstore. A bit more like 30+shipping but I find it worth the investment if you plan to explore the M42 world

Thanks,
Hin

08-08-2008, 08:31 AM   #5

Can't your local store order it for you?
08-08-2008, 09:21 AM   #6
Inactive Account

M42 Virgin No Longer

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
More on that when it arrives.

Now I need an adapter to k-mount.
Wrong, Wrong, Wrong!!!

Ordering an M42 lens does not change your virgin status, and even then you have to have the adapter. You actually have to put the lens on your camera and take a photo. The M42 club has very specific rules for admission.

Looking forward to your first post. Then the M42 Advisory Committee will meet and change your status to bloodied veteran.
08-08-2008, 12:49 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wlank Quote
Wrong, Wrong, Wrong!!!

Ordering an M42 lens does not change your virgin status, and even then you have to have the adapter. You actually have to put the lens on your camera and take a photo. The M42 club has very specific rules for admission.

Looking forward to your first post. Then the M42 Advisory Committee will meet and change your status to bloodied veteran.

That's right. Simply ordering the lens is like... agreeing to go to the prom. The act is not official until insertion of the lens into the (camera) body occurs. Images are birthed from this union.

08-08-2008, 01:09 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Genuine pentax adapter, Photography items at low prices on eBay.co.uk
08-08-2008, 02:10 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Erasmo Quote
Can't your local store order it for you?
Local store? Ha Ha Ha!

QuoteOriginally posted by wlank Quote
I don't know, I'm more metaphysical on this issue -- I figure that the decision to buy the lens is the turning point. And that the lens itself arrives as a sort of immaculate conception.
08-08-2008, 02:11 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
I post this before and like many others, I recommend the Genuine Pentax M42 to K Adapter.
Thanks Hin for the links. I think some months back I read them but then forgot. Will read them all again.
08-08-2008, 02:18 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Robin,

You should look into the suggested ebay link and see if it is less than the pentax web store.

Hin
08-08-2008, 02:45 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I was tracking one of these but the general price in pounds is exhorbitant... especially once shipping to Ireland is added. If I knew they were this expensive I would have thought twice about the lens!

Might have to go the clone route and get someone to dremel the adapter onto the lens.
08-08-2008, 03:24 PM   #13
MrA

I was tracking one of these but the general price in pounds is exhorbitant... especially once shipping to Ireland is added. If I knew they were this expensive I would have thought twice about the lens!

Might have to go the clone route and get someone to dremel the adapter onto the lens.
I picked one up for a fiver (£5) at Ffordes Photographic (Beauly, Inverness) via there website. Very reasonable. Keep an eye on their secondhand section, you may get lucky. Imagine they ship to Eire.

UK camera shops - a database of camera shops and photographic manufacturers plus information on digital and classic cameras has a list of a few other similar shops-with-websites, I browse it now and then.
08-09-2008, 05:45 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I use the Roxen adapter and it works just fine. Easy to install and remove (on those rare times I remove it) with just a fingernail.

Most people think of an M42 adapter as something they have to install in order to use M42 lenses. I think of it as something I have to remove to use K-mounts.
08-09-2008, 07:59 AM   #15
Inactive Account

I don't know, I'm more metaphysical on this issue -- I figure that the decision to buy the lens is the turning point. And that the lens itself arrives as a sort of immaculate conception.
There are no metaphysicians on the M42 Club Advisory Committee. Mostly Luddites if you want the truth.