Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2017, 06:17 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I'm not really sure it is decentered though.. might just be a soft copy.. might be entirely normal. I really don't know. But I've put in for an RMA and will ship it back shortly for an exchange. Hopefully they pack the box a bit better this time around (and the copy of the lens itself is improved).

It seems like buying lenses online is almost like a box of chocolates. haha
Yeah, sorry to say but my 28-105 is sharp, Mee ...

03-02-2017, 06:49 PM   #17
mee
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Yeah, sorry to say but my 28-105 is sharp, Mee ...
But what does that mean?! Sharp, soft, noisy, clean... I've seen people say their photographs are clean at high ISO and they look entirely the opposite to me. These terms are so subjective.

Is your lens as sharp as the example photo I took at around 70mm and f/8? Sharper? Cheesewheel?
03-02-2017, 07:52 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I posted an image earlier, taken with 28-105, I think it's pretty sharp

---------- Post added 03-02-17 at 08:52 PM ----------

Even in extreme corners
03-02-2017, 08:14 PM   #19
mee
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
I posted an image earlier, taken with 28-105, I think it's pretty sharp

---------- Post added 03-02-17 at 08:52 PM ----------

Even in extreme corners
Yes and I appreciate you responding and trying to help. But you said stacked, and it looks sharpened in Post. So clearly it isn't straight out of the camera. As a result, it is hard for me to know what exactly was done to it. Plus it is rather tiny as you've shrunk it... very difficult to ascertain quality from it.

Nice photo all the same though.

03-02-2017, 08:36 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes and I appreciate you responding and trying to help. But you said stacked, and it looks sharpened in Post. So clearly it isn't straight out of the camera. As a result, it is hard for me to know what exactly was done to it. Plus it is rather tiny as you've shrunk it... very difficult to ascertain quality from it.

Nice photo all the same though.
I didn't stack focus though, just exposures for HDR. Anyway, hope you'll figure out the issues with the lens and get a better copy)
03-03-2017, 02:30 AM - 2 Likes   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

But what does that mean?! Sharp, soft, noisy, clean... I've seen people say their photographs are clean at high ISO and they look entirely the opposite to me. These terms are so subjective.

Is your lens as sharp as the example photo I took at around 70mm and f/8? Sharper? Cheesewheel?
Okay, let's not be subjective.

Take a look at the 70mm MTF graph in this review below, that shows f8 is what you want at that length:

HD Pentax-D FA 28-105mm f/3.5-5.6 ED DC WR Lens Review

This forum's official review of the lens says of sharpness:
The D FA 28-105mm has proved to deliver excellent and surprisingly consistent sharpness for a lens that is so versatile, portable, and affordable. On full-frame, center sharpness wide-open is great at 28mm and picks up quickly after stopping down by just a little at other focal lengths. While the corners— and edges, to a lesser extent— lag behind the center, things clean up nicely by F8 or F9.5 with the possible exception of 105mm, which is the softest zoom setting as far as the extremes are concerned. When the lens is used on crop bodies, these corners and edges are never seen, which leads to even more consistent sharpness from corner to corner.
While the 28-105mm can crush film-era lenses and is competitive with theD FA 24-70mm F2.8 in terms of sharpness, in absolute terms it is not as sharp as say, a prime. For everyday photos, we thus recommend a small amount of extra sharpening during RAW processing for the best results. If you use out-of-camera JPEGs, however, no extra sharpening is needed as Pentax camera tend to apply a generous amount of sharpening by default.
That said, the 28-105mm has one last trick up its sleeve— which also works for just about any other lens on the Pentax K-1, for that matter. If you aren't happy with the resolution normally supplied by the lens, turn on thepixel shift super resolution feature and as long as you're on a tripod and the scene is stationary, you'll be able to enjoy a substantially higher level of detail at the pixel level. Access to features such as the pixel shift system is part of what makes the Pentax full-frame system so versatile; you can obtain professional-grade detail from a handy compact zoom.

Read more at: HD Pentax-D FA 28-105mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC WR Review - Sharpness | PentaxForums.com Reviews

I have no handy brick wall pictures to compare, but these are snaps I've taken when I've walked around without primes ....

03-13-2017, 04:49 PM   #22
mee
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Okay, let's not be subjective.

Take a look at the 70mm MTF graph in this review below, that shows f8 is what you want at that length:

HD Pentax-D FA 28-105mm f/3.5-5.6 ED DC WR Lens Review

This forum's official review of the lens says of sharpness:
The D FA 28-105mm has proved to deliver excellent and surprisingly consistent sharpness for a lens that is so versatile, portable, and affordable. On full-frame, center sharpness wide-open is great at 28mm and picks up quickly after stopping down by just a little at other focal lengths. While the corners— and edges, to a lesser extent— lag behind the center, things clean up nicely by F8 or F9.5 with the possible exception of 105mm, which is the softest zoom setting as far as the extremes are concerned. When the lens is used on crop bodies, these corners and edges are never seen, which leads to even more consistent sharpness from corner to corner.
While the 28-105mm can crush film-era lenses and is competitive with theD FA 24-70mm F2.8 in terms of sharpness, in absolute terms it is not as sharp as say, a prime. For everyday photos, we thus recommend a small amount of extra sharpening during RAW processing for the best results. If you use out-of-camera JPEGs, however, no extra sharpening is needed as Pentax camera tend to apply a generous amount of sharpening by default.
That said, the 28-105mm has one last trick up its sleeve— which also works for just about any other lens on the Pentax K-1, for that matter. If you aren't happy with the resolution normally supplied by the lens, turn on thepixel shift super resolution feature and as long as you're on a tripod and the scene is stationary, you'll be able to enjoy a substantially higher level of detail at the pixel level. Access to features such as the pixel shift system is part of what makes the Pentax full-frame system so versatile; you can obtain professional-grade detail from a handy compact zoom.
Read more at: HD Pentax-D FA 28-105mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC WR Review - Sharpness | PentaxForums.com Reviews

I have no handy brick wall pictures to compare, but these are snaps I've taken when I've walked around without primes ....

Thanks for the examples. I wish the EXIF would have remained intact.. and, if I had my druthers, they were full or at least half size so I could determine corner and edge performance a little better. But your sample shots don't really use much of the edges or the corners anyways.

As it is I think your copy is sharper.

I just got a 2nd copy today. Again B&H poorly boxed the lens and it bounced around in the box the whole trip. They literally put one sheet of bubble wrap around the lens in a giant box. No crushed paper or airbags to keep the lens from moving around.

That said. It seems a little sharper. The center was never really a big issue, esp stopped down, but edge and corner performance was pretty sad imo on the first copy. I think this one might be better... I might know more later in the week when it stops raining and I can go back to the wall.
03-13-2017, 08:15 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I just got a 2nd copy today. Again B&H poorly boxed the lens and it bounced around in the box the whole trip. They literally put one sheet of bubble wrap around the lens in a giant box. No crushed paper or airbags to keep the lens from moving around.

That said. It seems a little sharper. The center was never really a big issue, esp stopped down, but edge and corner performance was pretty sad imo on the first copy. I think this one might be better... I might know more later in the week when it stops raining and I can go back to the wall.
Ugh!

And I've seen a couple of videos lately of what airport cargo and luggage handlers do.

Good luck with this copy, Mee.

Remember, at the end of the day it's effectively a 'budget' walkaround lens, f5.6 at the long end. It should be compared to lenses like the DA 18-55, DA18-135, rather than the 24-70 or a prime.