Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2017, 09:18 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax A 24mm 2.8 vs Sigma 24mm 2.8

I am comparing the Pentax A 24mm 2.8 with the Sigma 24mm 2.8 Super Wide. I read the reviews on this forum for each. My post is for the purpose of seeking information on a comparison between the two. Is the Sigma just as compatible with my K-5 for example and what are the strengths and weaknesses of each lens.
I saw both on ebay as I am interested in a wide angle lens. I really want the the FA 20 2.8 but cannot seem to find one for what I can pay for it. Next the A 20 is not coming up very often either so I'm moving down the list to the 24mm.
Thanks.

03-01-2017, 11:51 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Maybe reveal what your acceptable budget is - the forums may have some options if they know....
03-02-2017, 12:08 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have both, but the Pentax is the K version. The K 24mm was from a swap meet, and I don't think it is quite right as it flares terribly. Because it may have suffered unknown unobserved damage, I will reserve judgment on it. The Sigma Super-wide is superb as well as having auto focus. It sits on my K1, and I did show some of its results on the K1 photo thread.
03-02-2017, 02:00 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
There was a shootout online the compared 24mm lens converted to use on Canon. The Sigma made it farther than the Pentax. I have one of the manual focus Sigma's 24/2.8. It is a decent lens. The color is different than Pentax, but that can be tweaked in PP.

---------- Post added 03-02-17 at 01:04 AM ----------

Photozone test of the Sigma: http://www.photozone.de/pentax/144-sigma-af-24mm-f28-macro-pentax-k-photozone-review--lab-test-report

Last edited by civiletti; 03-02-2017 at 02:01 AM. Reason: sp
03-02-2017, 06:25 AM   #5
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ric Quote
I am comparing the Pentax A 24mm 2.8 with the Sigma 24mm 2.8 Super Wide. I read the reviews on this forum for each. My post is for the purpose of seeking information on a comparison between the two. Is the Sigma just as compatible with my K-5 for example and what are the strengths and weaknesses of each lens.
I saw both on ebay as I am interested in a wide angle lens. I really want the the FA 20 2.8 but cannot seem to find one for what I can pay for it. Next the A 20 is not coming up very often either so I'm moving down the list to the 24mm.
Thanks.
I suffered from a LBA attack and bought a Pentax A 24 f/2.8. The lens had a 9+ rating, it was clean, no scratch or damage, and mechanically perfect. I was initially quite excited; however, I was not happy about the IQ. It was weak in terms of resolution compared to Sigma 17-50 @ 24mm. The only good thing I can say is that extreme corners were sharper and less distorted than the zoom. I no longer have the lens.
03-02-2017, 08:31 AM   #6
Pentaxian

The SWii was one of my favourite lenses because of the sharpness and contrast that it provided. I stopped using it but always had it in my bag. The A 24mm seems like a nice lens but I've not had the time to give it a real shot.
03-02-2017, 09:21 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I would still like to try the Superwide II at some point... but I'm not too crazy about the colors one gets from it, so I've passed on one a couple times when I could have got it.

The ones I have had are an early Tokina design branded as Rokinon MC 24 2.8, a Pentax-K 24 2.8 (same optics as the A version, but I think the A has updated coatings), and the Cosina 24 2.8 (branded Vivitar).

The Rokinon/Tokina I had, had some flaws that made me think something was lose on the inside. Blurry (and I mean really blurry) up to f5.6, unless you were around MFD, where it wasn't sharp but at least not blurry. At f5.6 it sharpened up ok (not pin sharp but acceptable) and it took PP very well, showing pleasing colors. But not so great SOOC.

The K 24 2.8 is great but it does have some flaws. The one shortcoming I saw was that it isn't quite as sharp at longer distances as it is at shorter ones. Not bad, just not quite as sharp, even stopped down.
Now the positives are to rave about: the colors are absolutely top notch and so well balanced. I think it handily beat the DA 21 Limited (I had the SMC for a short while) on that department. The sharpness for anything less than 20 feet away was, in the copy I had, very good and the microcontrast was lovely. And it's quite flare resistant considering how old it is. So for taking pictures inside, for objects, or for street photography, it's a gem. It's also incredible for sunrises and sunsets. But for landscapes, I'd probably look at something else.

And finally, the Cosina/Vivitar... it's very sharp at infinity, not quite as sharp (but still very useable) at shorter distances. It meters surprisingly well on my K-S1 and as well as can be expected on my K10D (I don't like how the K10D meters, period...) The colors aren't as good as Pentax colors (not bad, just nothing exciting). And it flares quite badly. I'm still looking for a hood that will give me only the APS-C circle for that lens, as it needs all the help it can get. I'm making do with it at the moment until I decide if I want to try the Pentax design again, or maybe finally try the Sigma...
(The K10D sensor helps with the colors here...)

Last edited by ChristianRock; 03-02-2017 at 09:26 AM.
03-02-2017, 01:14 PM   #8

Pentax A 24mm vs Sigma superwide II 24mm

I've owned all of the variants at various times. The K and A versions of the Pentax, the autofocus and manual versions of the sigma (A and non A).

Basically, if sharpness is your primary criteria, then go for the Sigma. It is quite sharp wide open. The Pentax really focuses on center sharpness only. If color and contrast are more important to you go for the Pentax, it has great colors whereas the Sigma needs post processing work. The Sigma looks washed out if used wide open and flares quite a bit more than the Pentax.

Optical qualities aside, the autofocus version of the Sigma is a lot bigger. The autofocus is loud and raspy, but fast. (This is not just the one copy I have used, I've owned several). The lettering on the Sigma (all versions) is just printed on and wears off with time. The hood is creaky (although to be fair, finding the original hood for the Pentax is really difficult). The Pentax just has a much better feel in the hand.

They are both good lenses and each has its benefits and drawbacks. I don't believe you'll have any compatibility problems with either lens on the K5. Right now, I think you'll be paying roughly 1/3 to 1/4 the price of a Pentax 20mm.

03-02-2017, 02:57 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
The Sigma Super-wide is superb as well as having auto focus. It sits on my K1,

Is 24mm wide enough?...the SW Sigma does a good job, first lens that got to have fun on my K1. The Sigma is well worth the U$ 20 that it cost me!
03-03-2017, 07:03 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Pentaxian

What am I missing? Why are you not considering a used Pentax 21mm?
03-03-2017, 07:57 AM   #11
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
What am I missing? Why are you not considering a used Pentax 21mm?

especially since it'll be used on APS-C and not FF....
03-03-2017, 08:42 AM   #12
Ric
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
especially since it'll be used on APS-C and not FF....
I am not considering the DA 21mm since my aim is to get a K1. I'm looking for a full frame wide angle lens. But thanks for the suggestion.
03-03-2017, 09:15 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

IMO, a significant attribute of the Super Wide is the close-focus ability. It's fun.

I haven't owned the Pentax 24/2.8, but have owned 2 Tak 24/3.5's and a K 24/3.5, in addition to my current Sigma Super Wide II AF and two (sold off) MF versions. In terms of edge-to-edge sharpness, it's SWII AF > SWII MF > K24 > Tak24. For center sharpness, the Sigmas and K24 are similar, the Tak24 lagging. For distance resolution, it's SIgmas > K24 > Tak 24. For rendering, all are good, but different. I particularly like the way the Tak24 renders green foliage on a cloudy day.

I guess the upshot of my rambling is the Super Wide II AF is the best all-around 20-something lens I've used. It's especially excellent for landscapes where edge-to-edge sharpness in important, and close focus. But if you are taking pictures of people, social situations, or things, then personal taste in rendering is more important than edge sharpness, IMO.

Last edited by luftfluss; 03-03-2017 at 09:37 AM.