Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
03-04-2017, 08:59 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Seems like sound advice. So what I have to decide is whether or not to shell out around £400+ on a lens which is going to do everything my Tamron does, but much more conveniently. I've never experienced the sensor reflection myself but if and when I were to I would find it very disturbing! I've seen some photo examples in the review of the Tamron lens

03-06-2017, 08:17 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd personally spend the money on something else to help macro. A nice flash - ring or otherwise - can make a difference. There are plenty of posts on how to channel your light from flashes using simple materials, if you don't want to use a flash. A word of warning - the LED "flashes" aren't what you're looking for. LED panels for ambient light increase are good, but you want that true pop from a strobe to freeze the subject. I mentioned the Sunpak one I got, and then tracked down the Pentax module. It's manual, that's all you need for macro.

I'd use the Tamron until you find some limitation or weakness. If you don't find it, great. It's a well-regarded lens, get out there and see what it can do.

That's why I'm keeping my FA100 f2.8. Yeah, I'd like weather resistance, but don't really need it. Most insects hide in the rain, anyway.
03-06-2017, 07:56 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Yeah, I'd like weather resistance, but don't really need it. Most insects hide in the rain, anyway.
That depends on where you go. You can get plenty wet in bright sunshine if you're crossing bogs, jumping streams, or pushing your way through dew covered vegetation. And weather seals also help to keep out dust, pollen, and other assorted crud.

I use my 100WR day in day out from about March to October. The WR is very important to me. Before I got it, I used an M series 100 F4 macro, and it suffered. If I had been using it during more recent misadventures, I doubt it would work at all.

I really like the QS as well. I'm so used to having it, I hate putting on a lens that doesn't have it. I often consider replacing everything that isn't WR+QS with lenses that are. Oddly enough, I think I'd almost rate QS as more important to me than WR for my non-macro lenses.

But I'm weird that way.
03-07-2017, 06:21 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by arkav Quote
That depends on where you go. You can get plenty wet in bright sunshine if you're crossing bogs, jumping streams, or pushing your way through dew covered vegetation. And weather seals also help to keep out dust, pollen, and other assorted crud.

I use my 100WR day in day out from about March to October. The WR is very important to me. Before I got it, I used an M series 100 F4 macro, and it suffered. If I had been using it during more recent misadventures, I doubt it would work at all.

I really like the QS as well. I'm so used to having it, I hate putting on a lens that doesn't have it. I often consider replacing everything that isn't WR+QS with lenses that are. Oddly enough, I think I'd almost rate QS as more important to me than WR for my non-macro lenses.

But I'm weird that way.
Valid points, and ones I've thought about. WR against dust and for and general protection is a concern. Had the WR been available back when I bought my FA100, I may well have bought it instead.

03-07-2017, 10:40 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I too am pondering a new macro lens. My Tamron 52BB does occasionally get the sensor ghost under certain lighting conditions. Plus having to add an adapter to get to 1:1 macro is inconvenient as it requires additional room in the bag. Room that another lens could use. So I am keeping my eyes peeled for a deal. The latest Pentax macro lens doesn't do much for me as I prefer having an aperture ring on my macro lenses. All lenses in fact.
03-07-2017, 12:11 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I thought the same thing about the aperture ring, but I've pretty much never used it. It's only been on bodies with modern controls, and using modes easy to control the variables. Of course you could look for the FA series macros, there's nothing wrong with them.
03-07-2017, 12:19 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Last year I used the Pentax 100mm macro WR on my K3II in heavy rain for about an hour. No problems at all. It's nice to have a WR lens or two.

03-18-2017, 05:13 AM - 3 Likes   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Many thanks for all the advice. It was most helpful in letting me make up my mind. I did not but the WR in the end, choosing to stick with the Tamron and use the money to get a selection of accessories - pka extension tubes for use with other pka lenses, macro rail and a new tripod head. I then bought a DA 50mm f1.8 for general use.
I like the focal length on APSc. Still had some change so happy with the decision. Again thanks to you all for your advice.