Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2017, 03:47 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
D FA 100 refresh?

Has anyone heard any rumors about a refresh of the D FA 100mm lens coming anytime soon? Looks like the current model has been around for ~8 years.

03-04-2017, 04:02 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is hard to imagine improvements. The optical design goes way back. My F 100 macro had the same formula. It just works.
03-04-2017, 04:12 PM   #3
Veteran Member

The DFA 100 2.8 WR macro is 8 years old? I thought it was a new-ish lens))
03-04-2017, 04:23 PM - 3 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
DFA50/2.8 must take precedence in refreshes. Optically brilliant but wrapped in a last decades clothing. Needs DC, WR and a focus limiter to be best in class.

03-04-2017, 04:44 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Yup, time flies. They should release new, bigger macro lenses with an aperture ring or accompanied by close-up accessories that allow aperture control.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-04-2017, 05:25 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There's not much to dislike about the current DFA100WR macro. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

An upgrade to the DFA50 macro and FA*200/4 macro would be higher priorities.
03-04-2017, 09:54 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
There's not much to dislike about the current DFA100WR macro.
For macro wih more than 1:1 magnification, the Pentax 100 macro does not have an aperture ring. And most extension tubes for K mounts don't have an aperture lever, that's a real problem for a macro lens.

03-05-2017, 01:21 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
For macro wih more than 1:1 magnification, the Pentax 100 macro does not have an aperture ring. And most extension tubes for K mounts don't have an aperture lever, that's a real problem for a macro lens.
Why is that a problem when the aperture can be controlled from the body? Not trolling, just trying to learn.

Kjell
03-05-2017, 02:19 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bilybianca Quote
Why is that a problem when the aperture can be controlled from the body? Not trolling, just trying to learn.
In order to increase magnification to more than 1:1, I wanted to insert extension tubes between the camera and the DFA100 macro. I looked for tubes for the K mount, and all I've found were tubes without aperture coupling between body and lens. When the aperture lever of the Pentax lens is uncoupled, the diaphragm is set to smallest aperture (> f22). I found one old model of Pentax branded tubes (or Asahi, i don't remember) having the aperture coupler, and it was fairly expensive. I also saw there are many macro tube with coupling for brands other than Pentax. But.. ok, it is still possible to use a tube without aperture control if the macro lens has an aperture ring. So, I was considering selling the DFA100 macro and buy a Pentax A 100 or M 100 f4, or get the Samyang 100 macro, they all have an aperture ring. IMO the DFA100 macro is a great lens for 1:1 macro, portraits and travel because it is small, but for a macro lens it either misses the aperture ring or Ricoh imaging should have a proper tube with K mount coupling.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 03-05-2017 at 02:27 AM.
03-05-2017, 02:29 AM   #10

Kjell
The aperture cannot be controlled at all anymore if you add extension tubes between the body and the lens, that's the issue with the 100 macro since there are no (official) tubes with aperture control and even unofficial tubes with aperture control are now discontinued (those from Kooka).

It is a not a show stopper though, for higher than 1:1 magnification you can always add a Raynox macro filter (dcr 250 or msn 202), but be aware that if you buy one of these you will need a 49mm to 43mm (or 37mm for the 202) step down ring to attach the filter to the lens.

I own both dfa 50 and dfa 100 wr and they're great lenses that are perfectly functional, I'd really prefer the 200mm f4 macro to be reissued/revamped rather than the DFAs
03-05-2017, 02:36 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by probez Quote
I'd really prefer the 200mm f4 macro to be reissued/revamped rather than the DFAs
Yes, I agree, there is no much drawback in having 200mm instead of 100mm, the reverse is not true.
03-05-2017, 02:53 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
In order to increase magnification to more than 1:1, I wanted to insert extension tubes between the camera and the DFA100 macro. I looked for tubes for the K mount, and all I've found were tubes without aperture coupling between body and lens. When the aperture lever of the Pentax lens is uncoupled, the diaphragm is set to smallest aperture (> f22). I found one old model of Pentax branded tubes (or Asahi, i don't remember) having the aperture coupler, and it was fairly expensive. I also saw there are many macro tube with coupling for brands other than Pentax. But.. ok, it is still possible to use a tube without aperture control if the macro lens has an aperture ring. So, I was considering selling the DFA100 macro and buy a Pentax A 100 or M 100 f4, or get the Samyang 100 macro, they all have an aperture ring. IMO the DFA100 macro is a great lens for 1:1 macro, portraits and travel because it is small, but for a macro lens it either misses the aperture ring or Ricoh imaging should have a proper tube with K mount coupling.
Actually, I've got extension tubes that has the lever (Vivitar and Pentax branded), and also a set that has both the lever and the electronic contacts (no brand marking, just says "made in Japan"). Ebay finds. I also have an original Pentax screw-on close-up lens, as well as a Minolta ditto. Surprisingly high quality. Also Ebay finds.

Kjell
03-05-2017, 03:44 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Actually, I've got extension tubes that has the lever (Vivitar and Pentax branded), and also a set that has both the lever and the electronic contacts (no brand marking, just says "made in Japan"). Ebay finds. I also have an original Pentax screw-on close-up lens, as well as a Minolta ditto. Surprisingly high quality. Also Ebay finds.
Thanks. You must be patient looking for those rare items on ebay.
03-05-2017, 05:02 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Agree with all the posters who pointed out that there is little to dislike about the DFA100WR optically. Please, Ricoh, leave the formula the way it is, even Tokina is selling its own version of it to this day, the rendering of it being nothing short of sublime. I also happen to like the compact form factor and the limited-like mostly metal build - why would I want it to be bigger?

Okay, I kinda get the caveat about aperture control when you want to go beyond 1:1 magnification, but I trust that could be addressed inexpensively via a new set of K mount extension tubes (which are overdue in the accessories department anyway).

The DFA100WR may well be my next major gear purchase, and given what it is and how it performs, I couldn't care less about whether it has been around for 8 years, or optical-design-wise much longer. I bet a refresh wouldn't be as affordable either.

Plus, as others have remarked, there are so many higher-priority candidates in the lens line-up for revision than the DFA100WR of all lenses.

Last edited by Madaboutpix; 03-05-2017 at 05:25 AM.
03-05-2017, 05:54 AM   #15
Veteran Member

The next 100mm macro should have HD coatings, focus limiter and aperture ring, but stay nice and compact like the DFA WR version. WR and QS are great and must stay. Improving aperture just a little (so it stands out from all the other f2.8 macro primes) or allowing just a little more magnification (again, to stand out against the other 1:1 primes) might be nice, but Im not too hopeful.

But many other primes will come before the DFA 100mm will get a refresh.