Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2017, 03:39 AM   #1
Pentaxian
Jome's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2016
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 481
Car show Geneva 2017 : what lenses should I take with me?

Hello dear fellow Pentaxians,

This week starts the "Geneva International Motor Show".

There will be a lot of people, the light will be "Special (indoors)" and I won't be able to carry a tripod.

Could you please help me as it will be my first experience in a car show with my K-3?

What lenses (2 to 3) should I take with me from this list?

Primes:
HD 15 ltd / HD 21 ltd / SMC DA35 ltd / A 50 1.7 / M 50 1.4 / FA*85 1.4 / A 135 2.8

Zooms
DAL 18-55 WR / HD 20-40 ltd / A 35-105 / DA 50-200 WR / A 70-210

Thanks in advance for your advices.

03-06-2017, 03:55 AM   #2
Pentaxian At Large
Loyal Site Supporter
robgski's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,250
Will the cars be close together?
I just used the DA 21 to shoot a car parked in my garage with less than 2 meters of space, it was enough to let me take in the whole car; bring the 15mm. you can get the whole car even in a tight space, and get closer for details.

If the floor will be more open, cars behind velvet ropes, cars on rotating platforms, etc. you'll be able to use a wider variety of lenses. I'd bring the widest, the 15mm, the 20-40mm zoom would probably be the most used as you are walking around.
The only reason I'd add a third lens is for detail shots, badges, logos, etc. Then I'd use the FA 85mm, so you can open it up and isolate the detail.

I look forward to seeing your pictures.
03-06-2017, 04:34 AM   #3
amateur dirt farmer / mod
Loyal Site Supporter
pepperberry farm's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: probably out in a field somewhere...
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 15,653
15 and 21mm, for sure...

for fun, I'd also bring a fish-eye (but I don't see one in your list of lenses)...
03-06-2017, 04:43 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
pres589's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Lawrence, KS
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,436
Not a lot of especially fast glass in that list until you get to some longer focal lengths. The 20-40 is probably a good bet and it's max 2.8 at 20mm so that's good. Then the 15 just to get some width for up close stuff. After that it's your call. Probably one of those 50's but I'm not sure which I'd go with having not used the A 1.7; I do like my M 50 1.4 so maybe that would round out the kit.

Buying lenses for this, which is beyond what you asked for, a 10-17 FE could be good. Tamron 17-50 (nearly a 16-50) for the constant 2.8 and added width over the 20-40 would be nice. Samyang 14 f2.8 or 16 f2.0 for width and light grabbing would be great.

03-06-2017, 04:45 AM   #5
Pentaxian
microlight's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Hampshire, UK
Posts: 1,051
I think that the 15 prime and 20-40 zoom would be most useful; primes in the zoom range would be doubling up and may not be as flexible. The long lenses possibly wouldn't be used!
03-06-2017, 04:50 AM   #6
Pentaxian
Jome's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2016
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 481
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
Will the cars be close together?
I just used the DA 21 to shoot a car parked in my garage with less than 2 meters of space, it was enough to let me take in the whole car; bring the 15mm. you can get the whole car even in a tight space, and get closer for details.

If the floor will be more open, cars behind velvet ropes, cars on rotating platforms, etc. you'll be able to use a wider variety of lenses. I'd bring the widest, the 15mm, the 20-40mm zoom would probably be the most used as you are walking around.
The only reason I'd add a third lens is for detail shots, badges, logos, etc. Then I'd use the FA 85mm, so you can open it up and isolate the detail.

I look forward to seeing your pictures.
Thanks Robgski, I don't know how much distance I will get between the boots (depends on manufacturer), I will try to post some pictures (if they will be ok).
03-06-2017, 04:52 AM   #7
Pentaxian
Jome's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2016
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 481
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
15 and 21mm, for sure...

for fun, I'd also bring a fish-eye (but I don't see one in your list of lenses)...
Thanks Pepperbery farm, Don't push my LBA !
03-06-2017, 04:59 AM   #8
Pentaxian
Jome's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2016
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 481
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
Not a lot of especially fast glass in that list until you get to some longer focal lengths. The 20-40 is probably a good bet and it's max 2.8 at 20mm so that's good. Then the 15 just to get some width for up close stuff. After that it's your call. Probably one of those 50's but I'm not sure which I'd go with having not used the A 1.7; I do like my M 50 1.4 so maybe that would round out the kit.

Buying lenses for this, which is beyond what you asked for, a 10-17 FE could be good. Tamron 17-50 (nearly a 16-50) for the constant 2.8 and added width over the 20-40 would be nice. Samyang 14 f2.8 or 16 f2.0 for width and light grabbing would be great.
Thanks Press589, more than half of the lenses listed are from my 2016's LBA , so I will only pick 2 to 3 from my list...

03-06-2017, 05:02 AM   #9
Pentaxian
Jome's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2016
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 481
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
I think that the 15 prime and 20-40 zoom would be most useful; primes in the zoom range would be doubling up and may not be as flexible. The long lenses possibly wouldn't be used!
Thanks Microlight, seems to go in that direction.
03-06-2017, 06:13 AM   #10
Forum Member
sunCrm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: sunpic.lt
Posts: 82
Geneva International Motor Show and other car shows have spectacular light, tailored specifically for photos and videos. You should not need a tripod - You will have enough light, trust me.
Make sure to have a wide-angle-medium (i guess HD 20-40 lt is very fine) and one fast portrait lens (suggesting FA*85 1.4) for car details, and beautiful ladies around.
03-06-2017, 06:47 AM   #11
Veteran Member
wissink's Avatar

Join Date: May 2014
Location: S-ON
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 606
I can't offer any information that hasn't already been given. I am however excited to see your images.
03-06-2017, 09:34 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
roberrl's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Oxford, UK
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 205
Wide as you can

I've done a few shows and there's never enough room around the popular exhibits.
I've usually used a Sigma 10-20 and even then had problems to get the whole car in shot, even now I have a Sigma 8-16 it's still a problem sometimes
Yes to something longer for details.

And of course go early or stay late to avoid the crowds, I have occasionally been escorted out by security at the end of the day but it's been worth it.
03-06-2017, 12:01 PM   #13
Pentaxian
Jome's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2016
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 481
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sunCrm Quote
Geneva International Motor Show and other car shows have spectacular light, tailored specifically for photos and videos. You should not need a tripod - You will have enough light, trust me.
Make sure to have a wide-angle-medium (i guess HD 20-40 lt is very fine) and one fast portrait lens (suggesting FA*85 1.4) for car details, and beautiful ladies around.
Thanks SunCrm, As I will go with my wife, I should go only for 'details'...and not for 'around'
03-06-2017, 12:02 PM   #14
Pentaxian
Jome's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2016
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 481
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wissink Quote
I can't offer any information that hasn't already been given. I am however excited to see your images.
Thanks Wissink, I will try to get some keepers.
03-06-2017, 12:10 PM   #15
Pentaxian
Jome's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2016
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 481
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roberrl Quote
I've done a few shows and there's never enough room around the popular exhibits.
I've usually used a Sigma 10-20 and even then had problems to get the whole car in shot, even now I have a Sigma 8-16 it's still a problem sometimes
Yes to something longer for details.

And of course go early or stay late to avoid the crowds, I have occasionally been escorted out by security at the end of the day but it's been worth it.
Thanks Roberrl, I'm lucky here as cars are not as big as they are in the US, I hope my 15 and 20-40 will do the trick . The 8-16 is (also) arousing my LBA. For the crowds, there are always large, especially since they decided to open the show from 10 AM (at 9 AM few years ago it was ok) and sell ticket at half the price from 4:30 PM.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
car, car show geneva, details, fa*85, hd, k-mount, ladies, lens, lenses, light, lt, ltd, pentax lens, portrait, slr lens, trust, wr
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Getting permission to photograph a car at a car show Black Magic Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 16 07-08-2019 07:17 PM
Machinery F22 Raptor at Avalon Air Show 2017 RobG Post Your Photos! 38 03-12-2017 03:05 AM
CP+ show 2017 openend in Japan and Nikon... well... copies Canon ... beholder3 Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 5 02-24-2017 06:50 PM
Machinery Car Show! wtlwdwgn Post Your Photos! 7 07-17-2016 08:38 AM
Get car show lens on a tight budget or use owned one? fullmental Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 40 02-24-2016 10:34 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:01 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top