Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 28 Likes Search this Thread
03-07-2017, 08:14 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like all 3 photos; the swan is especially lovely.

03-08-2017, 03:59 AM - 2 Likes   #32
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

a more focused photo of the Wood Duck Drake

again, the K 3 + HD PENTAX-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 ED DC AW

[composition compromised to allow close cropping to show the details captured]
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
03-08-2017, 09:39 AM - 2 Likes   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have no comparison experience, but here to add a pic from the Pentax 150-450 at 450mm with a Tamron 1.4x TC.
Shot at 1/20th sec on a tripod.

Moon Over The Delta
03-08-2017, 10:00 AM - 1 Like   #34
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
I have no comparison experience, but here to add a pic from the Pentax 150-450 at 450mm with a Tamron 1.4x TC.
Shot at 1/20th sec on a tripod.

Moon Over The Delta
You make me want to get that TC since I imagine it is FF compatible.

03-08-2017, 05:17 PM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I like all 3 photos; the swan is especially lovely.
Thank you, I was just lucky. I took my dog to the vet for an early morning appointment and spotted on my way home. The sun had just started to come up.
03-19-2017, 05:21 AM   #36

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
I used to have the little brother to the Sigma 50-500, the Sigma 150-500 HSM. I bought the Pentax DFA 150-450 on a killer deal (after cashback bonus I ended up at $1501 dollars). I compared the two. The Sigma was sold because that 150-450 was definitely sharper even wide open, and there really wasn't much of a difference on FOV at the long end, plus even with the HD DA 1.4 teleconverter the Pentax lens gave correct and accurate info and would focus well where the Sigma did not give accurate info and focus was iffy, plus that combo was still incredibly sharp even wide open. If you can get it I'd go for it.
VoiceOfReason - I'm interested in buying the 150-450. Would you mind sharing where you bought it and if the deal you received is still available?
Thanks

---------- Post added 03-19-17 at 05:22 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
I used to have the little brother to the Sigma 50-500, the Sigma 150-500 HSM. I bought the Pentax DFA 150-450 on a killer deal (after cashback bonus I ended up at $1501 dollars). I compared the two. The Sigma was sold because that 150-450 was definitely sharper even wide open, and there really wasn't much of a difference on FOV at the long end, plus even with the HD DA 1.4 teleconverter the Pentax lens gave correct and accurate info and would focus well where the Sigma did not give accurate info and focus was iffy, plus that combo was still incredibly sharp even wide open. If you can get it I'd go for it.
VoiceOfReason - I'm interested in buying the 150-450. Would you mind sharing where you bought it and if the deal you received is still available?
Thanks
03-19-2017, 05:28 AM   #37
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I have no direct experience between the two choices but if you are interested:

"inspired by what I have seen from the other posters in this thread, I thought I would run over to the Topeka Zoological Park and see what I could do by fooling around with hand holding [ just bracing against my body ] the K 3 and its SR capability + the "big boy system": the HD PENTAX-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 ED DC AW + HD Pentax-DA 1.4x AW AF Rear Converter.

I was purposely trying to stress the system and myself.

boy did I succeed at stressing myself, heavy and very wavy, press the shutter and trust the SR"

Read more at: The 300mm plus lens Club discuss your long lenses. - PentaxForums.com

to avoid cross posting and since it is not a complete comparison between the lenses, you need to follow the link to see the photos, I hope that isn't a problem it is #24970

I got my "big guy" almost brand new and just a little bit $200.00 more than Voice of Reason's price

03-19-2017, 07:00 AM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
I know some people can and do hand-hold lenses such as the 150~450mm, and get some good images, but I cannot manage it, not steady enough and I find it tiring. I always use at least a monopod, but much prefer to use a tripod (the accessory we love to hate, and probably the single item after quality lenses that contributes the most to sharp images).
Simple fact, you get better images with a tripod or monopod. Do you really want to rely on shake reduction when you can use tried and true methods to guarantee a good image, and have SR bail you out when you mess up, instead of the bing the front line of your camera motion blur defence?

Years ago Pop photography blew up to 11x14 bunch of shots taken by a photographer who was convinced he didn't need a tripod using a 150mm lens. There was visible motion blur in every shot, right up to 1/1000s, shutters didn't go any higher at that time. Clearly, people saying they don't get camera motion blur hand held is very different from people actually not getting motion blur. Folks are free to think whatever they want, but that doesn't make it tue.

If I want to hand hold I put on the DA*200 2.8 with possibly a TC or stacked TCs. The weight is totally manageable.
03-19-2017, 08:15 AM   #39
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Clearly, people saying they don't get camera motion blur hand held is very different from people actually not getting motion blur.
My own testing has confirmed what you say Norm, but the convenience (Euphemism for "lazy") factor for hand holding outweighs common sense and getting better shots for many of us. I break all the rules.....sit at my desk and shoot through my double pane windows while sipping coffee and having my feet in my foot massage machine....

Damn this feels so good!

...when I see an opprotunity I pick up my K1/Bigma 50-500 and try to get a handheld shot. Most of the time they are decent enough for my needs. The squirrels complain they could be better and sharper, but mostly the birdies are satisfied well enough.

This little girlie Cardinal did't mind a handheld shot yesterday afternoon....although the squirrels told her it made her look too fat?

When I want to see what superb shots look like, I hunt for posts from guys like you that follow the rules and get results that prove it. Always amazing!

For guys like me SR is a godsend! Nope, not perfect but you can't use a tripod, get out in the wild like you do, and keep those feet in the machine at the same time....unless you have a mighty long extension cord!

You keep up the superb shooting and I'll keep up the viewing of it! I'm trying to improve...I currently have 5 days a week off and yesterday tried to convert Saturday to another one.....Mrs Rupert said "Get off your lazy butt, make the bed and wash the dishes."....and other things I can't say here.
Laziness is a serious disease, I should be treated better than that, don't you think?

Best Regards!
03-19-2017, 10:16 AM   #40
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Shakey Quote
Thanks
Unfortunately I've never seen it that low again. It was during a big price war in early December 2015 on Amazon.
03-19-2017, 11:12 AM   #41
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Simple fact, you get better images with a tripod or monopod. Do you really want to rely on shake reduction when you can use tried and true methods to guarantee a good image, and have SR bail you out when you mess up, instead of the bing the front line of your camera motion blur defence?

Years ago Pop photography blew up to 11x14 bunch of shots taken by a photographer who was convinced he didn't need a tripod using a 150mm lens. There was visible motion blur in every shot, right up to 1/1000s, shutters didn't go any higher at that time. Clearly, people saying they don't get camera motion blur hand held is very different from people actually not getting motion blur. Folks are free to think whatever they want, but that doesn't make it tue.

If I want to hand hold I put on the DA*200 2.8 with possibly a TC or stacked TCs. The weight is totally manageable.
I am experimenting with using the big guy, HD Pentax-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 ED DC AW

and the "big guy +" system, created by adding the HD Pentax-DA 1.4x AW AF Rear Converter

hand held not because it is a good idea but to build my confidence if the circumstances arise and I don't have time to set up a monopod or tripod

good idea, probably not, but who says any of my ideas are good any way???
03-19-2017, 02:09 PM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The 150-450 was ~$1800 from the UK this weekend...