Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
11-23-2017, 04:03 PM   #31
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dcpropilot Quote
FA*85 1.4 Auto Focus Sound on K-1: Is this normal?
It sounds like to me, time to get her older cousin, my “Sweetheart” (Pentax-A* 85mm F1.4), it's beautifully smooth and quite... unless of course I make a noise.

11-23-2017, 10:31 PM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
It sounds like to me, time to get her older cousin, my “Sweetheart” (Pentax-A* 85mm F1.4), it's beautifully smooth and quite... unless of course I make a noise.
Sweetheart is really fantastic
11-26-2017, 10:33 AM   #33
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Medex Quote
Sweetheart is really fantastic
Aye... she has her moments.
11-27-2017, 12:28 PM - 3 Likes   #34
Veteran Member

FA*85 repair - replacement of broken gear

Hi guys, I completed my repair of the FA*85 a few minutes ago and wanted to document the process for anyone willing to do the same.

Here's a link to the album of images, as requested.

I bought a replacement gear from the link previously provided (actually have two spares now) and it arrived pretty quickly (PL to UK delivery). The tools required are: JIS Screwdrivers, New gears, Pliers, Sellotape, Flathead screwdriver ~2.5mm and (optionally) magnets.

Simple method, also use my images for a bit more detail:

1) Disassemble lens mount by removing 5 screws - be very careful to use JIS drivers only. Also take care with the pins. These can be taped so they won't fall off too easily.
2) Remove aperture ring (careful with the ball bearing).
3) Use pliers to pull out screwdrive shaft. The gear should remain in the assembly. This can be removed.
4) Take new gear and compare dimensions. This new gear is thicker and can be sanded.
5) Use force to push the shaft into new gear, away from the lens.
6) Place gear in the correct place in the assembly, then place the shaft over it and use force to put into position.
7) Re-assemble aperture ring (remember the ball bearing, this bit is the only annoying part).
8) Re-assemble the mount.

Hope these instructions help.

Haris

Last edited by HarisF1; 11-27-2017 at 01:58 PM.
11-27-2017, 02:35 PM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by HarisF1 Quote
Hi guys, I completed my repair of the FA*85 a few minutes ago and wanted to document the process for anyone willing to do the same.

I bought a replacement gear from the link previously provided (actually have two spares now) and it arrived pretty quickly (PL to UK delivery). The tools required are: JIS Screwdrivers, New gears, Pliers, Sellotape, Flathead screwdriver ~2.5mm and (optionally) magnets.

1) Disassemble lens mount by removing 5 screws - be very careful to use JIS drivers only. Also take care with the pins. These can be taped so they won't fall off too easily.
3) Use pliers to pull out screwdrive shaft. The gear should remain in the assembly. This can be removed.
4) Take new gear and compare dimensions. This new gear is thicker and can be sanded.
6) Place gear in the correct place in the assembly, then place the shaft over it and use force to put into position.
7) Re-assemble aperture ring (remember the ball bearing, this bit is the only annoying part).

Haris
Congratulations
11-27-2017, 03:52 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by HarisF1 Quote

Haris

Great guide, I feel confident to do it myself now!

By the way, was there any threadlock on your lens mount screws? I haven't done mine yet but I've been 'practicing' on a couple of junk F series lenses and both of them had threadlock.

Last edited by krazykat; 11-27-2017 at 03:58 PM.
11-28-2017, 12:00 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by krazykat Quote
Great guide, I feel confident to do it myself now!

By the way, was there any threadlock on your lens mount screws? I haven't done mine yet but I've been 'practicing' on a couple of junk F series lenses and both of them had threadlock.
There usually will be. It takes a JIS driver and a good fit in order to get break the threadlocker seal. Your other lenses will be good practice.

11-28-2017, 10:17 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Even better Thanks DCShooter!
11-28-2017, 03:22 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
A drop of acetone or MEK on a Cotton swab will make life a lot easier and decrease the risk of stripping screws or breaking your driver tip.

Thanks for chiming in dcshooter.

Without wanting to derail the thread, I've read 3 (seemingly) feasible methods of helping the removal of thread-locked screws:

1. Acetone applied via tweezers, using the surface tension to hold the drop until application;
2. The "rubber band trick" - placing a wide rubber band between the screw head and the screwdriver to increase grip & reduce the chance of stripping the head; and
3. Applying a hot soldering iron to the head of the screw to cause an expansion of the screw.

Looks like acetone might be the most effective.