Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
03-11-2017, 12:00 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
easy......make sure none of your lenses are made in Vietnam (camera doesn't count)...

Da* 16-50...50-135mm and 100mm

03-11-2017, 06:36 PM   #17
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Based on my travel experiences I'd take the two zooms and the flash. Excellent iq and perfect range. Throw in the 40mm if you have space. The 300 seems a bit of an overkill unless the venue is a really huge and your seat is in the last row.
03-11-2017, 08:34 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I guess the OP is in Japan by now enjoying their vacation, so the discussion, albeit interesting, is somewhat academic at this point
03-12-2017, 03:42 AM   #19
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You're right. Totally forgot. Maybe he'll post his setup when he's back.

03-20-2017, 04:23 AM   #20
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hey all,

Thanks for the input everyone! Japan has been wonderful - only a few days left.

I opted for 4 lenses plus my K-3II. DA*55, DA*16-50, DFA 100 Macro and DA*300 for the sumo match (which is tomorrow). Maybe I'll post some pics when I get the chance!
03-20-2017, 05:34 AM   #21
Veteran Member

I would be very interested to see more on your experience on photographing in Japan. I'm going myself in October-November so I have time to reflect on my kit still. I am leaning to my K-3II (or successor) and an all prime kit (from 16mm to 135mm incl the 3 FA limiteds) with the DA20-40 as a back-up for when the weather turns against us.

Would taking along a tripod be worthwhile? I like doing long exposures, but not sure this is feasible in Japan? I read some places actually forbid tripod use?

tx, Wim
03-20-2017, 05:05 PM   #22
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
I would be very interested to see more on your experience on photographing in Japan. I'm going myself in October-November so I have time to reflect on my kit still. I am leaning to my K-3II (or successor) and an all prime kit (from 16mm to 135mm incl the 3 FA limiteds) with the DA20-40 as a back-up for when the weather turns against us.

Would taking along a tripod be worthwhile? I like doing long exposures, but not sure this is feasible in Japan? I read some places actually forbid tripod use?

tx, Wim
Hi Wim,

I've had so much fun shooting Japan. What a beautiful country. I have had great experiences both in urban and rural environments. I brought along a tripod to take photos of my wife and I mostly. I did some night photography, too, and it was nice to have. That being said you are right - many places don't let you use it, especially in Kyoto. Nijo Castle, the golden pavilion and the silver pavilion. That being said, I still used it when there were not many people around and nobody came running. It's mostly crowded paths and indoors places where they care. Hope this helps and I would be happy to answer more questions if you have them!

03-20-2017, 05:27 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Hope you have fun!
PM me if you want to meet up. (weekend)
Or my blog has a few information about interesting photo shooting in Tokyo.

*Edit*
I mention about lenses used in most photos on my blog, so you can a kind of guess what lenses you should have with you based on where you go so that you don't have to carry too many thing with you each day.

*another Edit*
It looks like you are already in Japan? sorry I think I am answering an old post!

Last edited by pakinjapan; 03-20-2017 at 05:39 PM.
03-21-2017, 01:09 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pakinjapan Quote
Hope you have fun!
PM me if you want to meet up. (weekend)
Or my blog has a few information about interesting photo shooting in Tokyo.

*Edit*
I mention about lenses used in most photos on my blog, so you can a kind of guess what lenses you should have with you based on where you go so that you don't have to carry too many thing with you each day.

*another Edit*
It looks like you are already in Japan? sorry I think I am answering an old post!
Possibly of less use to the original poster, but great info for me!! I would be interested to know the exposure time on the night shot of the Shibuya crossing btw...

Tx!! Wim
03-21-2017, 01:41 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
Possibly of less use to the original poster, but great info for me!! I would be interested to know the exposure time on the night shot of the Shibuya crossing btw...

Tx!! Wim
I put 2 images together there. One 10 sec for over all image another one is less than 1 sec (don't remember the shorter one well). the shorter one is for all the bright billboard.