Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2017, 08:22 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
SMC Pentax-A 50 1.4 - greasing guide?

Hi! I've just received the lens I've purchased from ebay. Optically and cosmetically it seems near mint, very nice condition. I can't see any scratches, haze, fungus, or any other imperfections, just looks very well maintained (and possibly not used much). One thing I've noticed is that the focus ring is a big loose and feels like the old grease might've dried out - feels a bit "scratchy" to turn, not smooth as it should be. Is there a disassembly guide somewhere I can follow to open it up and fix it? I've done so for my Helios 44k-4, with good results. I have nice synthetic grease I've purchased to fix my stiff focus ring on Helios, and a set of screwdrivers that should work. Any advice would be much appreciated

03-11-2017, 09:06 AM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Reassemble in the reverse order (placint the contact can be tricky - put thering to A, then put the tiny pieces in and turn it to a different aperture, and they should stay in place. Tweezers help.
Be careful not to get grease (unless it is conductive) on the contact parts. Otherwise you might end up having to take the contact parts out to clean them all over again. Working on my SMC-A f/17 fiddling with the contact parts was the most frustrating as they are very tiny and falls apart quite easily.
03-11-2017, 10:23 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
lol, look the back plate off, and immediately regretted it, as it took me an hour to get that tiny spring with the l-shaped bracket back into place xD sucks that front doesn't have holes to unscrew it easily, i guess I need some sort of a suction cup/wrench, or come up with a dyi method to take that plate off to access screws in the back. pretty annoying xD
03-11-2017, 11:04 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hmm I have the m42 cap, will try, thanks!

03-11-2017, 11:28 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a vague memory that the A50/1.4 has grub screws on the front barrel, not the more common screws under the trim ring. Try focusing the lens to the minimum distance so the barrel sticks out as much as possible, then look all around the barrel just above the focus ring. If I am right, you'll see a small slotted screw, which you can loosen a few turns. Then the front barrel unscrews and you can proceed. Remember to focus back to infinity so you cam mark its position.
03-11-2017, 11:39 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I have a vague memory that the A50/1.4 has grub screws on the front barrel, not the more common screws under the trim ring. Try focusing the lens to the minimum distance so the barrel sticks out as much as possible, then look all around the barrel just above the focus ring. If I am right, you'll see a small slotted screw, which you can loosen a few turns. Then the front barrel unscrews and you can proceed. Remember to focus back to infinity so you cam mark its position.
That might be the reason "glove on a m42 cap" doesn't work I noticed the tiny screw on the side, but unfortunately the screw is just too small for my kit, I'll shop for smaller watchmakers kit I guess. Thanks! Hope I can fix the lens, glass is so clean, and the body it came with still had few clear plastic film stickers, I guess it just wasn't used much together with the lens)
03-11-2017, 03:44 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
On the A50/1.4, the trim ring or the ring with the lettering on it is not threaded.

You need to remove the rubber focus grip first and then you will see three holes. You poke a screwdriver in to those holes to release a catch. Be careful not to use too much force as you may break the plastic clips.

You then loosen the grub screw on the filter mounting ring and unscrew that to get full access.

03-11-2017, 04:46 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tom1803 Quote
On the A50/1.4, the trim ring or the ring with the lettering on it is not threaded.

You need to remove the rubber focus grip first and then you will see three holes. You poke a screwdriver in to those holes to release a catch. Be careful not to use too much force as you may break the plastic clips.

You then loosen the grub screw on the filter mounting ring and unscrew that to get full access.
Thanks, will try. So the rubber grip part can just be peeled off? It seemed kind of solid to me, wasn't sure it was evem rubber, hope it won't crack
03-11-2017, 06:19 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yes, the grip just peels off. I've worked on at least 20 or so of these lenses so i'm quite sure.

Use a thin piece of wood like an ice cream/popsicle stick and work around the lens gently.
03-11-2017, 06:42 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes, the grip just peels off. I've worked on at least 20 or so of these lenses so i'm quite sure.

Use a thin piece of wood like an ice cream/popsicle stick and work around the lens gently.
Good) I might come back with more questions
03-11-2017, 10:31 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster

Hmm, those clips don't seem to give in, and get a bit dented when I press with the screwdriver. I'm afraid to snap them if I press any harder. I guess I'll wait for the smaller screwdrivers to arrive to take off the front filter mounting plate and see if I can go from there, although I believe I'd need to take off the focus ring at some point anyway, maybe need to find something less obtrusive than a sharp-ish screwdriver.

Another question - is it possible to tighten the focus ring a bit as well as greasing it? It seems to turn too easily, and I'd imagine with fresh grease it'll turn even faster. I prefer to have it turn slower and more precise since it's a 1.4.
03-13-2017, 10:32 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Can anyone advise on tightening focus ring a bit? I think after greasing it up it'll be too loose. My screwdrivers should arrive tomorrow, so I'll give it another try)
03-14-2017, 08:07 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
Can anyone advise on tightening focus ring a bit? I think after greasing it up it'll be too loose. My screwdrivers should arrive tomorrow, so I'll give it another try)
"Stiffness" of the focusing ring depends on the grade of the grease you use. See the NLG rating (National Lubricating Grease Institute grade. The higher the number the "stiffer" the grease.
03-15-2017, 06:14 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
"Stiffness" of the focusing ring depends on the grade of the grease you use. See the NLG rating (National Lubricating Grease Institute grade. The higher the number the "stiffer" the grease.
I haven't applied my grease to it yet, my shipment with screwdrivers is being delayed due to a crazy blizzard we were under yesterday. The focus ring is loose as is, and feels like the grease is dried out (has that "dry" feeling when you're turning the ring). Maybe when I try my grease it'll be more stiff (that I prefer anyway for precise focus). My Helios 44k ended up being almost perfect in terms of amount of force I need to use to turn it.
03-15-2017, 03:59 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Awesome, I've managed to pull everything apart, remove remains of the old grease, apply new grease, and put it back together. Now it turns smoothly also, when I took it apart I've noticed that everything looked almost new, I guess either no one used the lens and kept it safe all these years. Feels like a good ebay find)