Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2017, 04:34 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Pentax 17-70mm f4 focusing to infinity

My Pentax 17-70mm has a strange focusing issue. When I focus to infinity (as in point at something very far away and achieve correct focus), the focus ring on the camera ends up pointing to the 2m mark. When I manually focus the ring to infinity, the photo is slightly blurred. Has anyone else had this issue? Are there any solutions? It wouldn't be such a problem, as the autofocus and manual focus confirmation work fine, except that I want to do some astrophotography and would like to be able to set the focus ring to infinity and rely on that. I have tested infinity focus on a 58mm prime that I have, and it focuses to infinity exactly where it should.

My camera is a Pentax K7 if that is relevant.

03-12-2017, 01:19 AM   #2
HYS
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kman42 Quote
My Pentax 17-70mm has a strange focusing issue. When I focus to infinity (as in point at something very far away and achieve correct focus), the focus ring on the camera ends up pointing to the 2m mark. When I manually focus the ring to infinity, the photo is slightly blurred. Has anyone else had this issue? Are there any solutions? It wouldn't be such a problem, as the autofocus and manual focus confirmation work fine, except that I want to do some astrophotography and would like to be able to set the focus ring to infinity and rely on that. I have tested infinity focus on a 58mm prime that I have, and it focuses to infinity exactly where it should.

My camera is a Pentax K7 if that is relevant.
I had the same problem. And in the course of the time things went worst.
Now having changed the SDM motor (for more then three years) the lens works perfectly.
03-12-2017, 04:02 PM   #3

Original Poster
Wait, but even when I focus manually, correct focus is achieved at very far away objects when the focus ring is at the 2m mark, even when not using the SDM.

Update: this problem was identified with the lens at 17mm. when I zoom in, say up to 70mm, it focuses at infinity like it should. Is this normal of zoom lenses?