Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-09-2008, 09:28 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nokton 58 1.4 VS. SMC K 50 1.2 ??

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I've been seriously considering selling my K 50 and replacing it with the Voigtlander. The main purpose of use is portrait although I do want it for artistry also.
I have had a lot of fun with the K 50 when it comes to close up work but as for portrait use, I haven't quite figured it out yet.
I belieive the lens is really capable but I think the Nokton will be a little easier to use since it has the A settting making it a little faster to control the aperture.
I like the bokeh from both lenses ( but from pics the Nokton a little better ) and losing that fraction of light shouldn't make any differenct in the real world. But I think the range I gain will make a difference. 50mm vs 58mm.

Anyway, is the Voigtlander worth the extra cash? I know I will here from FA 50 users but I just don't want to go that way. I have looked at the review from photozone and DPreview and of course the thread here. The thread here is the one that really got me interested. It was LBA encrypted
I would love to have both but I think one of them would end up setting around too much.

Any hands on experience anyone? Suggestions?

08-09-2008, 09:54 AM   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I have the Voigtlander and the IQ is fantastic, but I don't use it very often as it is a tricky lens to focus. I think if my eyes were 30 years younger, I would probably have it on the camera most of the time.
08-09-2008, 09:57 AM   #3
RaduA

QuoteOriginally posted by OrenMc Quote
I've been seriously considering selling my K 50 and replacing it with the Voigtlander. The main purpose of use is portrait although I do want it for artistry also.
I have had a lot of fun with the K 50 when it comes to close up work but as for portrait use, I haven't quite figured it out yet.
I belieive the lens is really capable but I think the Nokton will be a little easier to use since it has the A settting making it a little faster to control the aperture.
I like the bokeh from both lenses ( but from pics the Nokton a little better ) and losing that fraction of light shouldn't make any differenct in the real world. But I think the range I gain will make a difference. 50mm vs 58mm.

Anyway, is the Voigtlander worth the extra cash? I know I will here from FA 50 users but I just don't want to go that way. I have looked at the review from photozone and DPreview and of course the thread here. The thread here is the one that really got me interested. It was LBA encrypted
I would love to have both but I think one of them would end up setting around too much.

Hi,

I have no experience with none of the two lenses but if you look at photozone's review for the Nokton: Voigtlander Nokton 58mm f/1.4 SL II - Test Report / Review it seems a pretty good lens straight from wide open and with excelent performance from 2,8. Bokeh is a matter of personal taste so I wouldn't venture into any opinion.
Considering they are both MF, FF and of similar build quality I would but the Nokton. You may also consider the new Sigma 50/1,4 (FF, autofocus, good low light quality, arround 400 Euro) and maybe wait some more for the DA* 55/1.4 (although I expect it to be more expensive than the rest).

Radu
08-09-2008, 10:13 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by OrenMc Quote

I don't have the K50/1.2, but I do have the A50/1.2. I prefer the Nokton to the Pentax for portraits. I think I would prefer it even more than the K, simply for the aperture/ metering control.

08-09-2008, 03:50 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Decision made. Voigtlander it is.
I think the aperture control/metering will give me an edge. When I was downtown today with my Tak 85 I was finding not having that control really slowed me down. Of course after more practice I will be a lot more proficient but I find people are not very patient. ( maybe I just like to consider their time given ) I always like to get a couple different setting for the background.

I picked up a Super Tak 50 1.4 today pretty cheap to help the anxiety of selling the Pentax 50 1.2

Thanks all for your help.
08-09-2008, 04:07 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Nokton is really a gem itself. If you love to use it for protraits, Nokton will continue to stand out if you compare it to A 50/1.2

The lens gives a totally different kind of image tone to photographs.
08-09-2008, 06:33 PM   #7
Inactive Account

I was at the pub with some friends last night on the patio, after dark and decided to use the Nokton to take a few pics, here were two of them (resized once by lightroom, and again by photobucket).

Both are f1.4, around 1/15 shutter speed. ISO was 200 (I like having room to move on exposure afterwards )

EDIT: Not that it has anything to do with the Nokton, but I had the Zeiss 25/2.8 on the camera first (not unusual) and took a close-up of my empty beer tumbler sitting on the table with the street lights in the background before I started in on my friends with the Nokton, hehe

FWIW, I'm curious about the 1.2! I've got my eyes peeled for one, someday.

Last edited by thePiRaTE!!; 08-09-2008 at 06:47 PM.
08-09-2008, 10:21 PM   #8
Veteran Member

if you want 1.2 and want "A", u can step up to the A50 1.2
eBay Store - Matsuiyastore: Pentax: smc PENTAX FA 300mm f 2.8 ED IF Brand New