Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-12-2017, 10:56 AM   #1
Veteran Member

M50/1.7 vs M50/2

Hello,

Just curious, how much worse is the M50/2 compared to M50/1.7? I received both for free by chance, but the 1.7 seems to have some trouble with fungus. It seems that many reviewers on the forum don't like M50/2.

Sincerely

03-12-2017, 11:02 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by butangmucat Quote
Hello,

Just curious, how much worse is the M50/2 compared to M50/1.7? I received both for free by chance, but the 1.7 seems to have some trouble with fungus. It seems that many reviewers on the forum don't like M50/2.

Sincerely
In real world results, you won't see much difference. The 50/1.7 is an excellent lens, but the 50/2 is very underrated and also an excellent lens.
03-12-2017, 11:03 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

If you got it for free and you have a digital body to shoot it on, my advice to you regarding the M50/2 is to be grateful for the acquisition, shoot the hell out of it, and form your own impressions.
03-12-2017, 11:45 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What I heard was that back in the Takumar M42 days, Asahi produced two versions of the same lens (55mm f1.8 and f2), the second of which had a baffle inserted to reduce the max aperture to f2, so they could claim it was a 'budget' lens for provision with 'budget' bodies such as the Spotty 500 - but the lenses were optically identical. Now, I don't know whether this practice continued into the bayonet era, or whether the lenses were optically different - does anyone know? (Brian?)

03-12-2017, 11:53 AM   #5
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Na - in the M series they were 2 different designs. It is reasonable to assume the f2 was a cheap entry level model just like kit zooms today. Check out the Pentax lens reviews. It is still a capable lens but it would be fair to say the f1.7 would have more potential as you learn to tap their qualities.
03-12-2017, 11:53 AM   #6
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello,

Sincerely

worse?

not sure what would be 'worse' - both are well regarded, just a bit different....
03-12-2017, 12:09 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I got the M50/2 way back, with my MX. I really liked it, and enjoyed it. I happen not to have used it for years because now I am using the older Taks which do not have the complication of green buttoning.

03-12-2017, 12:15 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
Na - in the M series they were 2 different designs. It is reasonable to assume the f2 was a cheap entry level model just like kit zooms today. Check out the Pentax lens reviews. It is still a capable lens but it would be fair to say the f1.7 would have more potential as you learn to tap their qualities.
A bunch of users stated that he or she can't recommend this lens, so I want to know is this lens a hidden gem or not.

通过我的 Nexus 6P 上的 Tapatalk发言
03-12-2017, 01:24 PM   #9
Pentaxian

A bunch of users stated that he or she can't recommend this lens, so I want to know is this lens a hidden gem or not.
The 50mm f1.7 is a bit of a hidden gem...although not that hidden. It's pretty well known. However, it's not so good as to have to deal with fungus. If I were you...and I own two of the f1.7 lenses...I'd use the f2 and be happy. If after a while you felt the need to upgrade, I'd look for some version of the f1.4.
03-12-2017, 01:28 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

通过我的 Nexus 6P 上的 Tapatalk发言
92% still gave it a yes recommendation. A few of those saying no gave practically no information as to why, or were so dismissive, harsh or sarcastic I could not take their reviews seriously.

I think most of those shortcomings, specifically the optical ones (you can't criticise it for its lack of A contacts when they weren't invented when the lens was first designed) were more brutally and honestly described by the ones who DID recommend it!

You can't just look at the numbers; you actually have to read the reviews, see exactly what people were criticising, and work out whether any of the claimed weaknesses actually matter to your style of shooting. For example, many described it as soft wide open; in some cases this is actually a welcome feature, whereas someone who spends most of their time shooting in bright sunlight might never get anywhere near f/2

So consider everything in context. And remember, while copy-to-copy variation exists, YOUR lens was free; you really don't have anything to complain about.
03-12-2017, 01:31 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Clean the fungus. I have cleaned the fungus on one old lens. It is actually not hard on the older non electric versions. I have an M50f2 It is a bit soft but works fine for portraits on a Digital body. A buddy of mine has both. His versions are the 1.7 is sharper but the 2'0 renders colors a little bit nicer. Per him

Last edited by patrick9; 03-12-2017 at 01:32 PM. Reason: spelling
03-12-2017, 02:08 PM   #12
Pentaxian

The 50mm f2 is nice in my experience. You can get good results out of either, but I'd always reach for the 1.7 personally.
If you're willing to fix up the fungus then go for it, not like it's an extremely expensive lens if you do happen to mess up.
03-12-2017, 02:16 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What swift1 said.

03-12-2017, 03:13 PM   #14
Veteran Member

It is entirely possible that the f/2 lenses changed a bit - at least in terms of coatings - when the manufacture moved from Japan to Taiwan. That's my recollection in the days when I was selling them. The f/1.7 produced a bit more snap (contrast and sharpness) on film. Not sure that the difference would be as noticeable on digital (where adjustments are readily available). Both lenses are sharp, but the f/1.7 m-series is consistently strong - especially so at settings close to wide open. There's good reason why the optical formula never changed after the m series (as compared to the f/1.4 which is the one I own).
03-12-2017, 05:00 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
It is entirely possible that the f/2 lenses changed a bit - at least in terms of coatings - when the manufacture moved from Japan to Taiwan. That's my recollection in the days when I was selling them. The f/1.7 produced a bit more snap (contrast and sharpness) on film. Not sure that the difference would be as noticeable on digital (where adjustments are readily available). Both lenses are sharp, but the f/1.7 m-series is consistently strong - especially so at settings close to wide open. There's good reason why the optical formula never changed after the m series (as compared to the f/1.4 which is the one I own).
Wait, there's a Taiwan version?

My copy came with a ME Super, and reads "Asahi Opt. Co., Japan smc PENTAX-M 1:2 50mm" and has an S/N in the 555xxxx range. Is this the earlier version or the later Taiwan version?