Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2017, 05:42 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The K-1 and FF lenses/APS-C

Currently in Australia, ebay has a sale of the a lot of tech giants this way offering a 20% code (till March 22nd), this brings a K-1 down to around $2300AUD (usually $2900AUD), I'm pretty tempted...

This year I will be launching a side 'hobby' professional photography business, not looking to make a million, just something else on the side (even if it only pays back on equipment bought), and I was already looking for an upgrade over the K-50 (K-50 will become the backup camera for jobs).
This ebay sale only includes the K3 (not version 2), or K1, that's the choice...

So anyway, I'm reading about FF cameras and what not, and realise that in actual fact maybe all or some of the 3 prime lenses I already own actually might come in at around 15mp instead of the 16 i'm getting on the K-50 lol, but it led me to think... how do I know what lenses I have are going to adopt the FF 36mp sensor or not? And also... in future, when looking to pick up a FF lens for the K-1 are they typically quite a bit more expensive (generally) than the ASP-C equivalent?
The article linked above also says that some ASP-C lenses might damage a FF camera, but I'm getting the message from Pentax that using the K1 with any of their APS-C lenses should be fine (specifically my primes below)?

My current primes;

50mm 1.8

100mm 2.8

21mm 3.2

Slightly side topic; I'm doing 'ok' with my photography thus far, and some pics published from a recent gig in Sydney's Timeout magazine, as well as promoting Sydney's Westland Parks through social media and what not. I just know what kinda fella I am, and I'm concerned that if I settled for a KP or K-3 that somewhere down the line (perhaps sooner rather than later) I'm gonna get that itch telling me I shoulda just grabbed the K-1 when I had the chance (and be content for the next 2-3yrs)! I fully admit that at my current knowledge level it's complete overkill (i'm still mastering the K-50!), but once you have the 'best' then that does kinda let me fully concentrate my time and efforts onto that and not pissing about comparing whatever I have to what else I could get etc..

03-13-2017, 05:54 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DA lenses are crop lenses, DFA and all others are full frame.

The DA 50mm almost perfectly covers the FF image circle if you can live with worse than average vignetting. There are also other DA lenses that officially support full frame: the 200mm, 300mm, and 560mm.

You'll likely end up having to crop with the 21mm.

We're currently finalizing an article that has test shots taken with every DA lens on FF, and there are also resource threads already on the forum with tests

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-13-2017, 06:07 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
DA lenses are crop lenses, DFA and all others are full frame.

The DA 50mm almost perfectly covers the FF image circle if you can live with worse than average vignetting. There are also other DA lenses that officially support full frame: the 200mm, 300mm, and 560mm.

You'll likely end up having to crop with the 21mm.

We're currently finalizing an article that has test shots taken with every DA lens on FF, and there are also resource threads already on the forum with tests
Ah, thanks for that.

So officially only my 100mm 2.8 will take pics at 36mp with the K-1 with no cropping necessary, whereas the other two might need to be in 'crop mode' (so is that a setting you switch to on the K-1?, or do you still take the pic as normal but yer expected to head off to PS/LR and crop out the vignetting etc and be left with roughly a 'unspoiled' 15mp approx?

I'll go hunting for those other resource threads later, i have to pop out shortly, but feel free to link me some if yer bored

Cheers again,

Bruce
03-13-2017, 06:21 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Here's a link to check DA lenses usage on the K-1.

DA lenses on Full Frame: Test Shots thread - PentaxForums.com

I think the article was referring to Canon on the lens damage. Not a problem with Pentax.

03-13-2017, 06:24 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Yes, crop mode is a menu setting. It can be accessed via the control panel or the settings dial as well. Its automatically enabled for DA lenses except the ones I listed above.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-13-2017, 07:00 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I don't think a K1 will go under that 20% discount, its participating sellers....DCEXPERT and DIGIDIRECT are the 2 main Aussie ones(that do cameras and lenses).....TEDS are usually over priced....check their ebay stores....great if you can score that reduction though.
03-13-2017, 10:52 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Ted's don't show any Pentax cameras in their current flyer but this 20% discount shown on eBay seems to come up about every three months. Anyway, compared to what they charge for a Canon 5D III or IV or a Nikon D810 the Pentax K1 is a real bargain with the 20% discount applied.

03-13-2017, 11:05 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
I don't think a K1 will go under that 20% discount, its participating sellers....DCEXPERT and DIGIDIRECT are the 2 main Aussie ones(that do cameras and lenses).....TEDS are usually over priced....check their ebay stores....great if you can score that reduction though.
QuoteOriginally posted by howieb101 Quote
Ted's don't show any Pentax cameras in their current flyer but this 20% discount shown on eBay seems to come up about every three months. Anyway, compared to what they charge for a Canon 5D III or IV or a Nikon D810 the Pentax K1 is a real bargain with the 20% discount applied.
That's kinda what I thought, but nonetheless I checked and indeed they are selling a few K1's in the sale.
03-13-2017, 11:08 PM   #9
Pentaxian

OK, well jump on that price...even paying full price a K1 is worth every cent!
03-13-2017, 11:14 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
OK, well jump on that price...even paying full price a K1 is worth every cent!
Yeh, all i need to do now is woo mrs banner with a lovely home cooked meal and break the news to her
03-14-2017, 12:32 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

From What I gather, the DA50/1.8 will cover full frame, but not optimally. It might be OK in 1:1 crop mode - giving a 24 MP square image. I have used my DA*55 extensively on the K-1 and it covers the full frame very well. Album HERE

The DFA100 macro WR is officially a full frame lens. Use it with impunity.

The DA21 is definitely a crop lens.

Distant film
03-14-2017, 01:20 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
From What I gather, the DA50/1.8 will cover full frame, but not optimally. It might be OK in 1:1 crop mode - giving a 24 MP square image. I have used my DA*55 extensively on the K-1 and it covers the full frame very well. Album HERE

The DFA100 macro WR is officially a full frame lens. Use it with impunity.

The DA21 is definitely a crop lens.

Distant film
So looks like I should ditch the DA21 for something else, I'll have to look into a suitable replacement another time.

The missus gave the all clear (to grab the K1), this gives me a few months of practice mastering the K1, determining if I need to replace the 50mm/1.8 sooner rather than later or hold onto for now, and also filling the gaps before really advertising my services...

EDIT: and i did look in your album (and added follow), some superb portrait shots there!
03-14-2017, 01:34 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
EDIT: and i did look in your album (and added follow), some superb portrait shots there!
Be mindful that the early shots from that month were with the A50/1.2 on the K-3, before my K-1 arrived.

As for the DA21/3.2 - the ideal FF equivalent lens is probably the FA31/1.8, but it's very expensive. If you want a near-pancake with a similar field of view, the F28/2.8 is a good, much cheaper option. Or you could just shoot the DA21 in crop mode - its flare resistance is hard to beat and I've always loved its rendering in general. I have kept mine.
03-14-2017, 01:44 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A quick warning on the K1, I do not know what glue Pentax use on the grip but once it is in your hands it takes a superhuman effort to get it out of your hands.
Enjoy.
03-14-2017, 01:45 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
So looks like I should ditch the DA21 for something else, I'll have to look into a suitable replacement another time.

The missus gave the all clear (to grab the K1), this gives me a few months of practice mastering the K1, determining if I need to replace the 50mm/1.8 sooner rather than later or hold onto for now, and also filling the gaps before really advertising my services...

Shes a lovely lady!.....the 50 F1.8 is ok, whether you are happy with it is your choice....but remember theres a DFA 50 mm sometime SOON!