Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-08-2008, 10:31 AM   #1
Banned

50-135 No Tripod Collar

I'm considering the purchase of the DA* 50-135. My biggest concern is the it dosent have a tripod collar. Has anyone had any issues with this lens when mounted on a tripod. I would think that some stress on the lens mount might occur over time leading to some costly repairs??

08-09-2008, 01:41 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mkishphoto Quote
I'm considering the purchase of the DA* 50-135. My biggest concern is the it dosent have a tripod collar. Has anyone had any issues with this lens when mounted on a tripod. I would think that some stress on the lens mount might occur over time leading to some costly repairs??
I've been using k10d + grip + 50-135 on several tripods for some time now, and as long as tripod is heavy and firm enough, you should have no problems with balance, and since mount is metal, I guess there should be no problems over time, it's really not that heavy, although I did notice that handheld balance is somewhat better without battery grip. Maybe it's just me, I've been using a lot my ME with some primes.

6 months or so,and everything is just right in my case.
08-09-2008, 01:51 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The 50-135mm is a light lens which you can put on a tripod using the camera's mount with no problems at all, so you should definitely go for it, as the IQ is quite impressive! Can't complain about the weather sealing, either. Here are a few sample shots, if you will: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/34165-greenland-photos.html

BTW, thread moved to the lens forum.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-09-2008, 03:49 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I just bought this lens the other day. It's actually pretty light in comparison to my Sigma 70-200mm f2.8. Images are super sharp wide open. I'm loving the thing.

08-09-2008, 09:42 PM   #5
Banned

Original Poster
Thanks for all the input. Really helps to have this sort of info before purchasing!!