Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-15-2017, 07:44 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
3rd party hood for Tokina AF (235) 3.5-4.5/20-35mm version II

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Well, the title sums up most of my issue... But it is worth adding a bit more for discussion sake.

This is the version I have:
Tokina AF (235) 3.5-4.5/20-35mm version II. Lens Reviews - Tokina Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

On the K-1, this lens is pretty darn good. It's prone to flare when shooting in bright mid day into the sun, but that is usually because I am trying to provoke stars, and man, does this thing deliver stars like crazy!

Some samples from my first day out with it:
Post your K-1 pictures! - Page 320 - PentaxForums.com

In the above link pictures, I was just using my left hand to shade the lens, which actually works pretty good if you can multi-task well, but it get's old after a while.

I find my copy very sharp in the center across the range, and a little soft in the extreme corners @20mm wide open, and gets very good stopped down. Let's put it this way, I've seen worse output from some well regarded primes!

Mine didn't come with a hood. So far, I've bought 2 hoods. The first one I got was an original Tokina 77mm Metal shallow round hood.

It is scary screwing on the thing with that huge front element just waiting to be scratched, and it doesn't work too bad, but I'd really like a higher performance petal shaped hood to do a better job.

So, via Ebay, I grabbed one of those cheap and cheerful chinese petal 77mm threaded hoods with a pinch cap that goes on after the hood is screwed on.

This one: FP92 77mm Lens Hood + Cap + Lens Cleaning Pen for Digital Camera DSLR SLR Lenses | eBay

I was so stoked that this would be the solution. But... it vignettes bad @ 20mm. When I say bad, I mean, the corners aren't dark, but I can actually see the petals protruding into the frame.
The seller listed it for a variety of Tokina lenses 28-70, 11-16mm, etc etc. so I thought surly it would work.

So, has anyone here found a working solution for their Tokina?

I am tempted to take a sanding block to the petals and just grind off some material ( I did say it was cheap, right?) and see what I get, but I'm afraid it's going to look like arse and I'm not sure if this grade plastic will let me smooth the edges very well. For the lousy $6 I paid for it, I'm inclined to go for it... heck, I'll still have the free lens pen they threw in. Heh heh.

Thoughts? Advice? Experiences? Thanks in advance!
Eric

03-17-2017, 04:07 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Just kidding. No worries, I know not too many people have this lens, it was a long shot question.

I guess I will be the guinea pig and try to modify the hood. I should probably document what I do for posterity (if it turns out OK)

Thanks,
Eric
03-17-2017, 04:27 PM   #3
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

the OEM hood looks like has next-to-no-corners at all; I took a look at eBay and saw several that may fit your needs, but it would be an experiment.....
03-18-2017, 08:42 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
the OEM hood looks like has next-to-no-corners at all; I took a look at eBay and saw several that may fit your needs, but it would be an experiment.....
Thanks, yes, the pictures of the OEM hood look pretty thin in the corners. The metal hood I have looks pretty pokey, like a thin extension ring.

The funny thing is, this generic petal hood protrudes mostly into the short sides and a hair on the long sides, not hardly at all the corners, so that is why I was thinking of just grinding them down.

The problem is, I'm sorta 'equipment proud", at least to a small extent, so I have to do a decent looking job of it or I'm not inclined to use it.

You are correct, there are others that look interesting on Ebay, but as long as I paid for this cheap thing, I think I am going to give it a shot.

More later when I try it.

Eric

04-28-2018, 08:58 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
You’re lucky you have version II of the lens with the 77mm hood. 🙄

I’m still trying to find the external pinch hood for version 1. It’s a 72mm thing that apparently went into a groove around the outside of the lens...

-Eric