Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-15-2017, 09:16 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Tamron 28-75 F2.8 Loose barrel

I bought a Tamron 28-75 F2.8 from KEH and I just opened the box.

Like with every lens, I gave it a good once over, cleaned and inspected the elements and checked all the functions of the lens. Overall the lens looks like it fits into the category of EX to EX+ as described with the exception of having a small amount of play in the lens barrel when both retracted and throughout its range of extension... It's small maybe a 1/32 or less radially but its there.

I found this video on how to correct the wobble on a 17-50
but I am not sure it applies to my lens and I don't want to void the 6 month warranty on the lens through KEH....

I know many folks here on this forum have this lens and I was curious if anyone else out there has experienced this issue and if so did it have any affect on the picture quality. Mainly I need to determine if I should keep it or ask for an exchange....

Any help is appreciated.

03-15-2017, 11:30 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I just checked mine. If I press on the inner barrel it will move slightly from side to side, whether it is retracted or fully zoomed. It might be 1/32 give or take. It does not move unless pressed though. No impact on image quality.
03-15-2017, 11:39 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rangercarp Quote
I just checked mine. If I press on the inner barrel it will move slightly from side to side, whether it is retracted or fully zoomed. It might be 1/32 give or take. It does not move unless pressed though. No impact on image quality.
That sounds the same as mine. That makes me feel much better. THANKS!
03-15-2017, 12:11 PM   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by W.j.christy Quote
That sounds the same as mine. That makes me feel much better. THANKS!
Just to reassure you further...

I have two copies of this lens - one in K-mount, and one in Sony A / Minolta AF. The K-mount version has no movement in the inner barrel when fully retracted, but perhaps around 1/32" movement at full extension. The A-mount version - bought new in December - has approx. 1/32" movement at any setting. Both are optically excellent, and both were serviced by Tamron's UK distributor due to minor problems when new - so I'm pretty confident they're as good as they can be.

For what it's worth, I think quite a lot of consumer-level lenses - especially zooms - are built with relatively loose tolerances these days.

03-15-2017, 12:15 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Just to reassure you further...

I have two copies of this lens - one in K-mount, and one in Sony A / Minolta AF. The K-mount version has no movement in the inner barrel when fully retracted, but perhaps around 1/32" movement at full extension. The A-mount version - bought new in December - has approx. 1/32" movement at any setting. Both are optically excellent, and both were serviced by Tamron's UK distributor due to minor problems when new - so I'm pretty confident they're as good as they can be.

For what it's worth, I think quite a lot of consumer-level lenses - especially zooms - are built with relatively loose tolerances these days.
That's good news then. I did put this on the camera and checked it out and it is very sharp even wide open which makes me happy. I find it odd, though, that as sharp and optically excellent as this lens is, that there would be such allowable play in the barrel.....

Many of the reviews I read on this lens rave of the optical qualities (some reviews even placed it on par with the equivalent Canon L series lens). It just surprises me the play allowed.

Either way, I think its a keeper. Its going to the houston Rodeo this weekend i'll have to see how it does there!

Again thanks to all who have replied thus far!