Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-09-2008, 05:37 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wobbly M42 adapter on K20D

I have the genuine Pentax M42 adapter which I used with my GX-1S with no problems. I don't have that camera any more, but don't remember anything weird about using the adapter. However, on my K20D I can wiggle the adapter around a fair bit after mounting it. My Super Takumar 28/3.5 seems to mount pretty solid nonetheless (I guess that it pushes against the mount somehow), but the cheapo 135mm I have wobbles like crazy. Anybody else run across this?

On a separate note, doing some very informal testing the 16-45/4 is as good as the 50/2 and 28/3.5. I honestly expected it to fall down, especially wide open, but shooting a finely detailed map it performed as good as the 50/2 and I think actually better than the 28/3.5... Pentax really did a fine job with this lens.

08-09-2008, 07:02 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
I have the genuine Pentax M42 adapter which I used with my GX-1S with no problems. I don't have that camera any more, but don't remember anything weird about using the adapter. However, on my K20D I can wiggle the adapter around a fair bit after mounting it. My Super Takumar 28/3.5 seems to mount pretty solid nonetheless (I guess that it pushes against the mount somehow), but the cheapo 135mm I have wobbles like crazy. Anybody else run across this?
Mine is the same. The adapter itself can move a bit when it sits inside the body mount without a lens mounted. All Takumars are OK, pretty solid, but other M42 lenses wobble a bit. If the focus ring is smooth, it is usually not a problem.
08-09-2008, 07:36 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Glad I am not insane. The 135mm I bought for $5 is probably the worst lens I have ever used, but it could be nice for portraits... thought the wobble was causing it but now I don't think that is the cause.

I do have to admit I am a little disappointed; I expected the Super Tak 28/3.5 to be out of this world, but the 16-45 is as good or better. No doubt lens technology has advanced in 40 years, but I guess I still expected the greats to be the best.
08-10-2008, 12:40 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
Glad I am not insane. The 135mm I bought for $5 is probably the worst lens I have ever used, but it could be nice for portraits... thought the wobble was causing it but now I don't think that is the cause.

I do have to admit I am a little disappointed; I expected the Super Tak 28/3.5 to be out of this world, but the 16-45 is as good or better. No doubt lens technology has advanced in 40 years, but I guess I still expected the greats to be the best.
You could have a bad copy I guess. But I am not very impressed with the 28 or the 35 either. But I do know that there are some amazing shots done with them lenses. So I have put it down to my own competence. I am just not a wideangle kind of huy .

And yes the adapter do wobble a bit, depending on the lenses that are mounted. It needs to be the right width and not to worn down to fit exactly. It does not impact the image quality though.

08-10-2008, 04:50 AM   #5
Veteran Member

My adapter does the same, but it doesn't really hinder operation. It's just a slight nuisance.