Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2017, 01:03 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Filter holder for 31mm Limited?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi everyone,

Has anyone got a solution for using filters with the lovely 31mm Limited lens?

I have a screw in CPL and ND that work fine, but would like to use grad ND etc.....the little hood means that a filter holder does not attach..

Have. a great day!

Peter

03-20-2017, 01:10 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Cokin filters have a removable mounting plate. I have one that fits the FA77. I'm guessing the others have the same features.

You'll need to buy the plate separate to the standard 77mm that comes with the standard offering.
03-20-2017, 03:16 AM - 1 Like   #3
Forum Member

Peter,

I purchased a filter adapter tube which basically screws onto the 58mm thread and extends it - like this (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003B3DZ3M/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

This allows me to then use a step up ring to attach this to the larger adapters for my Lee SW150 holder although it does result in significant vignetting unfortunately.
I may pick up a couple of slim circular 58mm for this lens, although I have considered selling it and just picking up the FA35/2 as stopped down its meant to be very good on the K1 and doesn't have the same filter issues!
03-20-2017, 03:40 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
i no longer use grads, but for the FA31, I had simply removed the glass from two 58mm UV filters and used the rings as a spacer, giving just enough clearance for the filter holder to attach. Simple and effective. good luck

03-20-2017, 07:16 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
i no longer use grads, but for the FA31, I had simply removed the glass from two 58mm UV filters and used the rings as a spacer, giving just enough clearance for the filter holder to attach. Simple and effective. good luck
Great tip, Mike. What is your recommended method for removing glass from filter rings without cutting yourself or damaging
anything?
03-20-2017, 08:22 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I always use pliers to brake the glass, and also to remove the remaining pieces. You may wrap it in some clothes for the first access.
03-20-2017, 09:22 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jlstrawman Quote
Great tip, Mike. What is your recommended method for removing glass from filter rings without cutting yourself or damaging
anything?
The glass is usually held in place by a threaded retaining ring with two slots intended to engage with a spanner-type wrench. In a pinch a screwdriver or some other tool (e.g. small putty knife or large pencil eraser) may be used.

Steve

03-20-2017, 09:39 AM   #8
Pentaxian

what steve said, pry the retainer ring.
But, I have used a hammer and awl to cleanly make a crack and then press the shards through the ring(wearing a glove), into a trash can.
03-20-2017, 10:16 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
Place the filter in a ziplock bag, zip the bag closed, then smash/remove the glass... Once the glass has been removed, extract the filter's metal ring, then re-zip the bag and deposit it along with the 'bagged' glass shards in the trash.

Easy... M
and there it is.
put that in the wiki.
lol
03-20-2017, 10:40 AM   #10
Veteran Member

What replaced the filters?
03-20-2017, 11:45 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Nutkins Quote
Hi everyone,

Has anyone got a solution for using filters with the lovely 31mm Limited lens?

I have a screw in CPL and ND that work fine, but would like to use grad ND etc.....the little hood means that a filter holder does not attach..

Have. a great day!

Peter
I use a spacer ring to get the filter threads past the built-in lens hood.
03-20-2017, 11:58 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tabl10s Quote
What replaced the filters?
i migrated to exposure blending instead & prefer the results.
03-20-2017, 03:00 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

i migrated to exposure blending instead & prefer the results.
Do you only use ND filters? I don't see how those could replace circular polarisers or IR filters.
03-20-2017, 03:30 PM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
Do you only use ND filters? I don't see how those could replace circular polarisers or IR filters.
I don't need a filter holder for polarizers nor solid ND filters - which i do use often.
But instead of grad filters, i use exposure blending. Sorry I wasn't clear.
03-21-2017, 11:23 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thank you all for your responses....much appreciated!

Peter