Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-09-2008, 08:52 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
help me out...

I am debating with myself again, and I need to come to the forum for some help on a few things...

Would you choose a 70 or 77 limited? I am leaning toward the 77, because while pricier, it's bit faster and seems to have the better of two good reputations

If you were going for either the 70 or 77, what other glass would you look to carry with you, in order to keep the 50-135 at home (or, perhaps even sell it).

Also...have the 50 1.7 bought a while ago for next to nothing....but am catching myself wanting the 50 1.4 is the difference really worth it though?

Looking over my kit, the 2 wide angle lenses are almost always with me. The 40 limited is tiny, the 55-300 is new and light. So why am I shopping?

Considering alternatives for the 16-45 and 50-135. Thinking if I got the 50 and the 77 I could make the 50-135 a non-travel lens, or sell it. I think I am lusting after the limiteds more and more-this in spite of the fact that I know the star lens takes awesome shots too.

Just curious if there are folks out there who had the star lens and then reverted back to or changed course and went to limiteds, or primes in general.....

08-09-2008, 09:34 PM   #2
Veteran Member

You can't seriously be considering selling the 50-135, can you?
It's like having 6 quality primes in one lens!

08-09-2008, 09:37 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
not very seriously considering it.....but who knows

im more just thinking, the reputations of some of the other lenses-the 70 and 77 and 50 are so good...should i make sure i give one or two a spin....and if i did, im sure it would mean less time on camera for the 50-135.

i think i will at least end up grabbing the faster 50, but who knows really. part of me thinks im shopping just for the sake of shopping lol
08-09-2008, 10:36 PM   #4
Veteran Member

this is a great blog piece that i direct people to when people consider the DA70 vs FA77
Digital SLR and Lens Review: By popular demand: Pentax DA 70mm Limited compared to FA 77mm
discussion here: DA 70mm Ltd / FA 77mm Ltd Bokeh Images: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

also see this famous discussion:
Should I get 77mm or 70mm? - Photo.net Pentax Forum

personally, i have an FA77 and i think it's great. the extra speed and longer reach are more useful to me than the smaller size and supposed quicker focus and also quick-shift focus. i travelled with it and it became my most used lens https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/33847-lessons-...-limiteds.html

08-10-2008, 05:38 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
seems as both are really good lenses...its going to be tough to pick
08-11-2008, 06:26 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I'm with jsherman....Unless you need to optical speed of the 77 or the compactness of a prime, I'd just stick with the 50-135mm. It's THAT good!
08-11-2008, 08:07 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
i was looking to make a smaller kit, but its not an urgent urgency.

speedwise, i think the 1.4 or 1.7 is enough....I don't currently do much in the way of night shots or low light work. its one area where i say "if i could i would", but its my usual rationalization in order to buy more toys
08-11-2008, 10:51 AM   #8
Inactive Account

You may be shopping just for the sake of it.

The 50 1.7 is likely just as good as the 1.4 (some say it's better). Unless you have a fetish for 50mm lenses I wouldn't bother.

The FA 77 is a great lens, as is the DA 70mm (each has it's own strengths and both are very good at what they do). I don't think either are necessary if you have the DA*50-135mm though, unless you are looking for a specific portrait lens, or like using primes, or like using smaller lenses.

Just my thoughts...

c[_]

08-11-2008, 12:05 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Would be intrested in swapping my FA 50 1.4 and my DA 70 with you ?
08-11-2008, 12:22 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Well I've got the FA43 and FA77 but as far as I can see the DA*50-135mm produces amazing pix. And I love my 16-45mm. So I agree with coffee.

Why not get a macro lens if you need to buy something? That would provide utility you don't have.
08-11-2008, 02:23 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
had a macro 50 (sigma) when i thought i was going to be doing some jewelry shots for a dealer. didn't pan out, and the lens/genre didn't hold my interest greatly enough to warrant holding on to the lens.

admittedly, its LBA more than "i need something because i dont have something".

i may just spend the money filling in the blanks on filters, and actually taking some time to shoot...hasn't been a lot of that lately since the camera was in for repairs.