Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2017, 03:55 PM   #1

Quest to find a Teleconverter

So... Is there a Teleconverter out there...
With a less-than-10-years-old design
That doesn't cost a Bazillion $
That offers more than 1.4x focal length factor
And with decent IQ?

I'm asking too much I know...

Thanks

03-20-2017, 03:58 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
No.

Closest would be the FA 1.7x, or Sigma 2x.

The current best bet for teleconverters is the Pentax HD 1.4x
03-20-2017, 04:06 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Teleconverters these days have to be exceptionally good optically, and are thus expensive, because really good consumer telephoto lenses already exist at affordable prices (like the DA 55-300mm for example). So, the target audience is users of premium lenses that want more reach.

Sigma has some converters that as still good but not expensive, if you can find one.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-20-2017, 04:32 PM   #4
Site Supporter

The problem with Sigma Tcs (at least the AF ones) is that they are only compatible with a few Sigma lenses.
After trying multiple TCs I can tell that 2x are not as good as 1.4x, 1.5x or 1.7x ones.

03-20-2017, 04:42 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tigs Quote
And with decent IQ?

Thanks
Not in Pentax-land. You are stuck with a 1.4X if you want a newer design.
Nikon has a newer one that is great optically and has 2.0X. It is pricey, but not quite a bazillion dollars (it goes for $500).
03-20-2017, 05:35 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
The problem with Sigma Tcs (at least the AF ones) is that they are only compatible with a few Sigma lenses.
Yes, there is one that's only compatible with high end glass, but others that work with all lenses.

That offers more than 1.4x focal length factorAnd with decent IQ?
Yes, theres the Kenko/Vivitar Tamron....some versions are 1.5x....theres 2 separate entries in the 3td party lens review section

Pentax has 2 very fine TCs....4.7x and 5.6x(Q!) just attach a lens with adapter but they are not AF!
03-20-2017, 06:01 PM   #7
Pentaxian

There's along and involved discussion here, still waiting for someone who's found the perfect converter.
Any Pentax compatible Teleconverters out there? - PentaxForums.com
03-21-2017, 03:48 AM   #8
Pentaxian

And with decent IQ?

Thanks
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
No.

Closest would be the FA 1.7x, or Sigma 2x.

The current best bet for teleconverters is the Pentax HD 1.4x
The OP needs to tell us more, especially about the lenses he is using,

The sigma TCs need a 35 mm diameter 12 mm deep recess in the rear of the lens it is going on, in order to work due to a protruding front element in the TC. In fact, for those who want to stack TCs , you can't stack two sigma 1.4x together, and a 1.4x must attach to the rear of the 2x not the other way around, to fit together, again due to the protruding front element.

The Pentax SMC F 1.7x autofocus adaptor is good, but note that it only offers limited range autofocus, and should be used with a lens F4 or faster to guarantee reliable autofocus, although I good light newer bodies can work with slightly slower lenses (up to F5.6)

For me, unless you have an exceptional short lens a TC is not worth it,,they are good when used as n high quality telephoto lenses

03-21-2017, 04:56 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Get the Pentax HD DA 1.4x converter and crop, you'll get better results than with a 2x TC.
03-21-2017, 05:54 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Get the Pentax HD DA 1.4x converter and crop, you'll get better results than with a 2x TC.
Pentax says the 1.4 is developed for a 3% loss of resolution, but it's a 40% gain, so the increase of resolution on the subject should be 37%, unless your subject fils the frame and you can't crop.

Sometimes it get used on my K-1, and it barely vignettes at all, other times it does need cropping, but I don't think it's ever needs to be cropped down to APS-c size.
03-21-2017, 06:31 AM   #11

The Pentax HD DA 1.4 TC is up there with the best but it's in the bazillion $ category.
03-21-2017, 09:19 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Today with the K-3 and Tamron SP AF 300 2.8 and F 1.7x AF adapter
100 ISO, ƒ5.6, AV
With this combo I rarely notice I'm even shooting in AF.

I'm posting these only in the threads where folks have shown interest. The common folks have seen enough otter images. It's not like that are squirrels or something.

03-21-2017, 09:39 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Theov39 Quote
The Pentax HD DA 1.4 TC is up there with the best but it's in the bazillion $ category.
Price, and our ability to pay, is of course relative. However the HD TC is less expensive than any tele prime lens. You can't have superb IQ for cheap.
03-21-2017, 09:44 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Price, and our ability to pay, is of course relative. However the HD TC is less expensive than any tele prime lens. You can't have superb IQ for cheap.
Exactly, what is the point of getting a cheap TC? Many of them give you the same IQ only blown up larger. And even good ones only work on DA*s and other lenses that have resolution to spare. A lens that doesn't even excel without a TC is just going to be worse with one.

The Tamron above is rated a 10 for sharpness on the forum. On my old Vivitar 135 the TC just enlarges the purple fringing.

Last edited by normhead; 03-21-2017 at 09:55 AM.
03-21-2017, 10:09 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Really enjoyed those images Normhead. Thanks for sharing them. What a neat moment when you encounter wild life like that. Just started watching a show called "Alone," last night. its a survival show were ten guys are completely alone on northern Vancouver island surrounded by bears, cougars, wolves, jungle and salt water. Its amazing what nature will do to a man's preconceptions and his psyche.