Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-24-2017, 06:15 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I own both these lenses, but don't differentiate between them. I take the 50 as part of a set to keep the weight and size of bag down, i use the Sigma when I just go for a "Macro walk" around the property. So I'm not sure I even care which is which. They are both excellent. The 50 macro makes a better walk around lens, especially on the K-1.

03-24-2017, 06:24 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
thank you for the test @Stavri
On your test, both lenses seems to perform very well. It is fun.
Outdoor / real world blind test would be interesting too. In fact, I brought a F28 instead of FA31 because of a similar blind test like this
It is interesting to see that DFA 50 image quality is very similar to FA50 Macro. When I took a closer look at your samples, it just scream [ [ FA non-limited ] ] at me.
I used to do a research before get my 50mm and I was about to buy a DFA50 but then I saw a secondhand FA50 macro available. I read somewhere that F, FA, and DFA 50 macro are very similar. so I end up with FA version because of its build quality.
I am sure your DFA50 will have no problem find a new owner in the marketplace.

QuoteOriginally posted by Stavri Quote
Thanks to all the members for their contribution....

Lens Y = Pentax D-FA 50mm f2.8 macro
Lens X = Sigma Ex Dg 70mm F2.8 macro

I put the 50mm f2.8 macro on the marketplace when I got the Sigma, now I'm having second thoughts parting with it...(jewel of a lens)

Last edited by pakinjapan; 03-24-2017 at 06:32 PM.
03-24-2017, 06:32 PM   #33
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'm really proud of this lens - great engineering with just a 49mm filter size.

03-25-2017, 02:20 AM   #34
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Stavri Quote
Thanks to all the members for their contribution....

Lens Y = Pentax D-FA 50mm f2.8 macro
Lens X = Sigma Ex Dg 70mm F2.8 macro

I put the 50mm f2.8 macro on the marketplace when I got the Sigma, now I'm having second thoughts parting with it...(jewel of a lens)
What I find most surprising about this test is that, for once, I guessed right

Seriously, though, both lenses obviously perform really well. In your situation, I'd be inclined to keep the one with the most useful focal length for you. After a little gentle post-processing, the differences would be negligible, I think...

03-25-2017, 06:24 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
What I find most surprising about this test is that, for once, I guessed right

Seriously, though, both lenses obviously perform really well. In your situation, I'd be inclined to keep the one with the most useful focal length for you. After a little gentle post-processing, the differences would be negligible, I think...
Indeed, the Sigma when pixel peeped on my 4K screen might be a tad sharper but Pentax has more contrast right of the bat ( the sigmas images need a slight adjustment ) both equally impressive lenses. The real winner ( if there's such a thing) it's the Pentax lens, small compact and incredibly sharp and contrasty. The optical formula and the coating on this lens are superb, a real staple of Pentax pedigree. Ricoh should weatherseal and put a DC motor on this baby and we'd be all set for another decade...

Last edited by Stavri; 03-25-2017 at 07:15 AM.
03-28-2017, 05:27 PM   #36
Pentaxian

I've read that barrel wobble is a problem on the Pentax but don't have any experience. Can anyone comment? Has anyone tested with the barrel at least moderately with pressure applied in various directions?

I don't have experience with the Sigma either, but it would be good to know if there are any mechanical issues with it as well.
03-28-2017, 06:02 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
I've read that barrel wobble is a problem on the Pentax but don't have any experience. Can anyone comment? Has anyone tested with the barrel at least moderately with pressure applied in various directions?

I don't have experience with the Sigma either, but it would be good to know if there are any mechanical issues with it as well.
i can wobble the end of my my D-FA50 with my hand with the lens fully extended but i don't consider that a problem. It has no effect on image quality. The physical build of the lens is a result of the low price but the IQ, especially the sharpness, is hard to match at any price.