Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2017, 11:45 AM   #16
Forum Member

I feel bad for your father but Goodwill is a charity and these are basically thrift stores that sell donated items for usually very low prices. I've bought from them and gotten very good deals. In the stores a price is put on it and if it doesn't sell right away the price keeps going down.
I know you're peeved, I would be too. You have to be careful, as one of the other posters said--most sales people there have no clue on the goods being sold. If it makes you feel better, the money goes to a good cause and not into someone's pockets

03-25-2017, 12:10 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Sorry to hear the problem here. If what you got has clean internal optics ... Roberts has one listed on ebay right now for $18.00 thats rated 70% by them (light haze internal elements..) combine the two lenses and may wind up with a $48 working copy. Thats still less than a good copy currently sells for. Just an option throwing out there.

.. Its a gamble but I have done similar before. Worse case scenario you'd have two paper weights...or a real cool set of book ends.

Al
03-25-2017, 12:43 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
Considering the prices they charge I'd want them to assume at least a little responsibility. It's not like I got it for 10 dollars.
I know you are disappointed - we've all been there - but so long as they make clear their return policy (or lack thereof), they aren't even a little responsible - the buyer is. If you haven't read RioRico's excellent "Pawn Shop Lens Guide", I strongly recommend it.

PAWNSHOP LENSES (and other used lenses) - A Buyers' Guide - PentaxForums.com

He's pretty clear who is responsible for checking the quality of a cheap lens:
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
WARNING: Unless the shop/seller explicitly states a guaranteed return policy, or the lens is REALLY REALLY CHEAP, you should ALWAYS try it out before purchase. I've failed at this a couple times. I then repeat my mantra: OWAH TAGU SIAM. Say it over and over.
The websites for central and south Florida Goodwill have different return policies - one offers store credit, the other says no returns. On prices, the south Florida site says: "Donated merchandise is to be sold for the highest possible price that the law of supply and demand will permit. We have a responsibility to support our mission, and also to our donors to acquire the best possible price to maximize the impact of their generosity."

Right now, the average sold price for a K-mount 70-300 DL (non-Super) on eBay is $44. With shipping, actual cost is $53. If you include international sales, average all-up cost is $63. If the lens HADN'T had a problem, thirty bucks would have been a very good price.

Also, the Roberts lens is a 75-300 DL. Probably won't have the same front element as the 70-300 DL.

Last edited by THoog; 03-25-2017 at 01:09 PM.
03-25-2017, 01:05 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
...Also, the Roberts lens is a 75-300 DL. Probably won't have the same front element as the 70-300 DL.
Nice catch, I missed that.

Al