Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2017, 02:09 PM - 8 Likes   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The DA 15/4 Limited (on the the K-01) Does Infrared

pI had a K-01 converted to infrared, and started experimenting with various scenes and subjects using various lenses and various post-processing techniques (all using freeware and/or shareware tools), and most of the what I might modestly call "successes" ended up using the DA 15/4 Limited for the lens. So, here are some of my (alleged - YMMV - LOL) "successes", labeled with the post-processing method that appealed to me the most for each image (at the moment):

#1 - Left as Infrared -

#2 - R-B Channel Swap -

#3 - Black & White -

#4 - R-B Channel Swap -

#5 - Left as Infrared -

#6 - R-B Channel Swap -

#7 - 180-degrees Hue Shift -

#8 - Left as Infrared -

#9 - Black & White -

#10 - R-B Channel Swap -

#11 - 180-degrees Hue Shift -

#12 - R-B Channel Swap -

#13 - Black & White -

#14 - R-B Channel Swap -

#15 - Black & White -

[If you're curious to see the comparative results of each image having been processed with all four methods (counting "leaving the image as an IR image" as one of the "methods"), I have a gallery showing all four methods applied to each image at 'InfraFred' Experiments March 2017 (which also includes one image that used the HD DA 55-300/4.5-6.3 ETC lens).]

Overall, I would suggest that the DA 15/4 Ltd and the K-01 worked out very well for my "InfraFred" experiments.

Last edited by fwcetus; 12-25-2017 at 09:28 AM. Reason: Clarification (I hope)
03-27-2017, 02:13 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Very cool results!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-27-2017, 02:36 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Very cool!
03-27-2017, 02:59 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Way too cool! #10 and #11 especially.

03-27-2017, 05:16 PM   #5

Nice work! Thanks for sharing!
03-27-2017, 07:46 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Looks good. I'm interested in more information regarding the IR conversion.
03-27-2017, 07:52 PM   #7

Great Job.

03-27-2017, 08:54 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fwcetus Quote
I had a K-01 converted to infrared, and started experimenting with various scenes and subjects using various lenses and various post-processing techniques (all using freeware and/or shareware tools), and most of the what I might modestly call "successes" ended up using the DA 15/4 Limited for the lens. So, here are some of my (alleged - YMMV - LOL) "successes", labeled with the post-processing method that appealed to me the most for each image (at the moment):

#1 - Left as Infrared -

#2 - R-B Channel Swap -

#3 - Black & White -

#4 - R-B Channel Swap -

#5 - Left as Infrared -

#6 - R-B Channel Swap -

#7 - 180-degrees Hue Shift -

#8 - Left as Infrared -

#9 - Black & White -

#10 - R-B Channel Swap -

#11 - 180-degrees Hue Shift -

#12 - R-B Channel Swap -

#13 - Black & White -

#14 - R-B Channel Swap -

#15 - Black & White -

[If you're curious to see the comparative results of each image having been processed with all four methods (counting "leaving the image as an IR image" as one of the methods), I have a gallery showing all four methods applied to each image at 'InfraFred' Experiments March 2017 (which also includes one image that used the HD DA 55-300/4.5-6.3 ETC lens).]

Overall, I would suggest that the DA 15/4 Ltd and the K-01 worked out very well for my "InfraFred" experiments.
Very, very cool. Thanks for sharing.
03-27-2017, 11:26 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Excellent! Very eerie.
03-28-2017, 05:36 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Nice!
What is the filter installed on K01? ~ 720mm? Or deeper?
You said DA15 gave more successful results, was it because the 15mm AOV? or something else? I never experimented different lenses to test if a lens is more suitable for IR.
03-28-2017, 05:47 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
There's a couple of companies who will do it for you (one site quotes $350) but if you have the cajones to do it for yourself...
Converting A Pentax K10D To IR Photography - DIY Photography

Some of the Fred's pics are stunning BTW. I've not dabbled with IR since my old K1000 days and then it was only a couple of rolls for fun. I never got anything as nice as what @fwcetus shot. Really nice work!
03-28-2017, 06:42 AM   #12
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the comments, everybody.

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
Way too cool! #10 and #11 especially.

1. Since I hadn't numbered them, I had to count each image to see just which two you meant, so that prompted me to edit the post with each pic now being numbered.

2. Since I had so much fun with these experiments, I'd have trouble whittling them down to just two -- I guess my own personal favorites (at this moment) are #4, #6, #10, and #15. [However, I would have to say that my favorites are affected by the ~context~ of the "what", the "when", and the "how" for each image , say, and ~not~ just by the final images themselves.] But if you were to ask me tomorrow, I'd probably pick four different ones. [And, as I suggested in my first post, I might also choose to pick different post-processing favorite methods for each Image as well.]

QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote

Basically, an IR conversion involves removing the visible light filter (that favors visible light while discouraging both UV and IR at the opposite ends of the spectrum) that was already installed on top of the cam sensor by the factory, and replacing it with a filter that favors just IR light (while discouraging both visible and UV light). The cut-off point for the filter can greatly affect the nature of the images -- I chose to go with the (I believe) most common cut-off wavelength of 720 nm, although there are filters available for other wavelengths also. There are other considerations to think about as well (and checking the various conversion service web sites will provide some useful education). I chose the K-01 as being an ideal cam for the conversion, and I think I made a good choice.

Being somewhat of a hardware klutz (capable of designing occasionally decent construction projects and sometimes capable of making clever mechanical repairs, but also "well known in these parts" for many foolish, horrible blunders as well), I decided to ~not~ take the DIY route, and so I used Isaac Szabo to handle the conversion. There are several individuals and/or companies that will convert cameras to IR, but Isaac seemed as if he would do a good job, and so I decided to go with him. Not only did he offer the best price that I saw online for a K-01 conversion, he also was selling his conversions on eBay with a "Best Offer" option that I was able to take advantage of. However, most importantly, the quality of his conversion - totally separate from the cost - turned out to be superb, and I can recommend his conversion service most highly. [Disclaimer -- I have no connection with Isaac other than as being a very satisfied customer.]

Last edited by fwcetus; 03-28-2017 at 06:53 AM.
03-28-2017, 07:08 AM   #13
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by grahame Quote
Nice!
What is the filter installed on K01? ~ 720mm? Or deeper?
You said DA15 gave more successful results, was it because the 15mm AOV? or something else? I never experimented different lenses to test if a lens is more suitable for IR.

1. I went with 720 nanometers for the cut-off wavelength. I think it's considered as a good, "safe", all-around choice.

2. I do think it was mainly the 15mm AOV (in this case on a APS-C cam body) that was the main factor. Nonetheless, the DA 15/4 Limited has a lot of fans that think it is special, too, although I have not done too much wide-angle work (most of my shooting going back over decades has employed telephoto lenses), so I can't offer a knowledgeable opinion on the DA 15/4 Ltd specifically (although I have no complaints with it). I will say that my telephoto IR experiments have been less "dramatic".

3. I did say in my original post that "I have a gallery showing all four methods applied to each image at 'InfraFred' Experiments March 2017 (which also includes one image that used the HD DA 55-300/4.5-6.3 ETC lens)", and there is only one telephoto image there at the moment simply because I haven't found IR very useful for my usual tele shooting style.

4. There are some lenses that are known to show "hot spots" when used for IR (and there are pages online that list "good" lenses and "bad" lenses for IR). The DA 15/4 seems to be a "good one".

Last edited by fwcetus; 03-28-2017 at 07:24 AM. Reason: An addition
03-28-2017, 07:33 AM   #14
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
There's a couple of companies who will do it for you (one site quotes $350) but if you have the cajones to do it for yourself...
Converting A Pentax K10D To IR Photography - DIY Photography

For Isaac Szabo, it's $200 (or less) for a K-01, but somewhat more for a Pentax DSLR (but still far less than $350).

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Some of the Fred's pics are stunning BTW. I've not dabbled with IR since my old K1000 days and then it was only a couple of rolls for fun. I never got anything as nice as what @fwcetus shot. Really nice work!

I have no way to respond other than to sheepishly and humbly say "Thank you".
03-28-2017, 07:50 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fwcetus Quote
For Isaac Szabo, it's $200 (or less) for a K-01, but somewhat more for a Pentax DSLR (but still far less than $350).

I have no way to respond other than to sheepishly and humbly say "Thank you".

I think I paid Isaac 150 for a conversion of a K-01. I think the dslr is only 50 more but I had read that the K01 is better as you do not need to have any lenses calibrated. I bought my K01 from a form member and had him send it to Isaac for the conversion. All my conversations with Isaac were great and I highly recommend him. I should did out some of my images with the 15DA to add to this thread. I have never used a K01 other than the one with the conversion.

No need to be sheepish with the images that were posted, great job