Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2008, 01:11 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
CPC Macro/zoom mounted on ist DL

I'm a newbie here and a novice with the lens so I'll apologize upfront if this is a basic problem/solution.

I just picked up a CPC auto zoom 80-200mm 1:40 CCT lens that was listed as compatible with my Pentax ist DL. The lens (which I think is a K-mount) does not "lock" into the ist DL body but swivels a bit when mounted. Subsequently the shutter will not atuate although the macro/zoom feature seems fine when viewed through the lens.

The camera documentation was of no help so any/all suggestions or help will be appreciated. TIA.

08-10-2008, 02:54 PM   #2
Veteran Member

welcome to the forum
just a guess but perhaps the flange at the back is too big and is bumping the mirror
08-10-2008, 06:59 PM   #3

Original Poster
Checked that already and it doesn't seem to be the case. I appreciate the thought though, thanks.
08-10-2008, 09:07 PM   #4
Moo

Does it have electrical contacts on the mount? If not, set the custom menu option for "allow aperture ring use" to on, or however they are called...

08-11-2008, 09:44 PM   #5

Original Poster
Yes it has electrical contacts, however it does not fit the camera body. I've tried it on non digital Pentax SLR's (both Manual and AF) and it fits fine, just not on the ist series. It mounts into the body properly but does turn completely nor does it lock. Nothing seems amiss or bent and another more seasoned Pentax pro was puzzled also.
08-12-2008, 07:11 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds like the same problem some of the old Vivitar lenses have - on the back of the lens there's a protective flange on the outside of the actuating lever - if it's more than a 1/3 to 1/2 inch long it's hitting the light box inside the camera. Fairly easy to fix - remove it from the lens. It's not needed - or, for asthetic reasons, you can simply cut the flange down - I use a Dremel cut off wheel - with the flange OFF the lens - file the rough edges and hit the shiny edges with flat black paint - looks like it was manufactured that way.

Here's a pic of a Vivitar lens with the too long flange:

Last edited by ChipB; 01-13-2014 at 02:48 PM.
08-12-2008, 07:56 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply Chip although it doesn't seem to be the case here. This lens fits manual and AF non digi SLR's but does not fit the any of the ist digi's I tried it on. Here's what it looks like FYI...

08-12-2008, 08:26 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, ain't that nuts!!

And the strange thing is that I'm sitting here holding the twin to your lens (at least the mount end - and I mean TWIN!!) and this lens fits fine on my ist DS and my K200D.

Sorry, shot my wad - don't have a clue!!

08-12-2008, 09:18 PM   #9
Site Supporter

If that lens is also for use on Ricoh, it could be the Ricoh pin causing problems.

QuoteOriginally posted by ChipB Quote
Well, ain't that nuts!!

And the strange thing is that I'm sitting here holding the twin to your lens (at least the mount end - and I mean TWIN!!) and this lens fits fine on my ist DS and my K200D.

Sorry, shot my wad - don't have a clue!!

I have 2 copies of a 135mm f2.8 Sears lens that I bought new 20 years ago. One will mount on my k200d, the other damn near jams without completely turning and locking. Its the Ricoh pin in my case.
08-13-2008, 01:49 AM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply, that's sounds like exactly my problem alright.

Well, fortunately I found someone who can use this lens on a K1000 and I have a line on a newer replacement that I tried last week. It was puzzling though and i do indeed appreciate all the reponses. Thanks.

KJ