Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-30-2017, 09:22 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

15mm Limited silver or black on a black K3II?

looking at the price history on the 15mm Limited, and reading other posts on price increases in Europe starting in April, and thinking maybe it's time to feed the LBA monster again and bite on a 15mm Limited from B&H, but I see silver is $8 bucks cheaper. So, is there a visceral dislike of silver on black bodies? I don't have the option of seeing this, so wondering if it's one of those things that once you mount it, you wish you'd spent the extra 8 bucks for a black one? Or do they look great and not get as hot in the sun and it would be better for that reason?

I know some may view this as silly, but thinking there's got to be a reason it's cheaper to encourage selling the silver over the black finish.

Thanks

03-30-2017, 09:28 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I would say go black on black. I did and love like the matching stealth look.
03-30-2017, 09:48 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Black or silver, I would only look for the green ring version. I like its starbursts.
03-30-2017, 10:09 PM   #4
Pentaxian

When I bought my 15mm I decided in advance it had to be black to match the camera. But when I got to the store and handled both, I bought the silver one. I don't know why but I really like it in silver.

Last edited by vector; 03-30-2017 at 10:09 PM. Reason: typo
03-30-2017, 10:11 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

I think silver lenses on black cameras look awful.
03-30-2017, 10:14 PM - 1 Like   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd also go with the black version.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-30-2017, 11:01 PM - 1 Like   #7
a5m
Veteran Member

I'd go with the black as well because it matches and it's stealthier than silver. For something subjective like this I'd say just go with what you think looks better. I find that reading other's opinions makes the decision more difficult.

Also to me it seems that the black versions of Pentax lenses are more desirable so they might be easier to sell and may fetch a higher price. The smc "green ring" version known for starbursts is definitely more desirable.

I pulled some pictures off of google to help you decide:

03-31-2017, 01:19 AM   #8

Black ofcourse i dont like either a silver lens on a black body
03-31-2017, 04:18 AM   #9
Pentaxian

For only eight dollars extra, I'd get the lens to match the body.

When I went on my Limited Prime-buying spree just before Christmas 2015, the black HD DA21 and HD DA70 were significantly more than that - I think the difference was at least $20 or $30 US ($1 CDN = 0.75 US) per lens - and there was no way I was paying that much extra just for a colour match (though if it had been black HD vs silver SMC I might have). Oddly enough the black HD DA15 was either the same as the silver or possibly cheaper, so it got the nod.
03-31-2017, 04:24 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Neither. Get an older non-HD lens. Black body only, green ring. Better starburst.
03-31-2017, 04:35 AM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

I quite like silver lenses on black bodies. I'm not that smitten on this kind of silver though, I like them polished
However one thing they do that black lenses don't do is draw lots of attention from people. You might find one or the other looking at your camera weirdly. (which probably is good exposure for Pentax)
03-31-2017, 06:58 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for all the feedback, and I as look at the sample pictures posted, yeah, I think the black does look better. I was also wondering if there were a better resale value to the black, and I think the answer is yes!

Now, do I play the game of trying to find an SMC green ring? That's a hard one. I do like the nicer starbursts, but perhaps a gain with ghosting and flare on the HD coatings? I was thinking of this mainly with landscapes in mind and architectural photos, but that's apt to be daylight. On the other hand, I like having options and night photography is fun. I've got an order percolating at B&H now. Not too late to pull it back, but I do like the idea of a new lens when possible. I also feel like it's a good thing - support Pentax and purchase a new lens! I think I'll be happy either way based on all the positive reviews of this lens. Snag a new one now, keep the eyes open for a nice green ring if it comes along, and as part of the LBA disease, I can then have my night lens and my daylight lens, and if completely smitten by the green ring at this unknown future point, having the HD in black means I might be able to shuffle around to a new home more easily if so desired. Yes, thinking out loud on a nasty rainy Friday morning.

Thanks again for all the replies - appreciate the feedback and perspectives - this site has been great fun and very helpful!
03-31-2017, 07:25 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

HD does help reduce flare and there's also a new hard coating (forget the name) that resists fingerprints. OTOH, (IMO) HD slightly reduces microcontrast and makes blue punchier versus SMC on the 15. Not enough to worry about unless you really want the starbursts.

For $8 on a $450 lens just get what you want.
03-31-2017, 10:34 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
So, it's a done deal. Ordered the black from B&H, and it has already shipped - they are great on their service!

Appreciate all the input, and now for the hard part, waiting for it to arrive.

I've got an odd habit of stumbling on things once I'm thinking about them. A green ring SMC variant will probably grace my bag at some point. Luckily, one of my daughters is a budding Pentaxian, and this helps me justify having multiple copies of similar lenses - she can use one while I use one - I guess they might say excuses like this is part of the signs that LBA has taken root and I'm past a cure, but what the hey, I'll find a way. And, I feel good to help Pentax with a new sale. I know I can't single handedly keep the company afloat, but maybe this will alleviate some of the fears expressed in other recent posts I'm sure we've all seen
03-31-2017, 10:50 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by a5m Quote
I'd go with the black as well because it matches and it's stealthier than silver. For something subjective like this I'd say just go with what you think looks better. I find that reading other's opinions makes the decision more difficult.

Also to me it seems that the black versions of Pentax lenses are more desirable so they might be easier to sell and may fetch a higher price. The smc "green ring" version known for starbursts is definitely more desirable.

I pulled some pictures off of google to help you decide:

Thanks, those are great pictures. I definitely would stick with black on black. I would be curious as to how black limiteds would look on a silver body, in particular the KP.