Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2017, 08:25 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Will New SDM help DA*300 focus faster

I just wonder if my 4 yr old DA*300 will focus faster with a new SDM motor. Don't think the old SDM now is bad--no noise,just so slow to acquire focus on K1. In crop mode a bit faster..use single point mostly for birding
Thought maybe a new motor coul dhelp?? anyone have experience with this

Thanks

03-31-2017, 08:49 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

I doubt it. I have had the SDM motor replaced twice in my DA* 60-250mm zoom originally purchased in 2009. The most recent repair was about a year ago. The AF speed is unchanged.
04-01-2017, 03:13 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

SDM is inherently slow. DC and PLM lenses are where it's at, along with select shorter screwdriver lenses.

I don't think the replacement parts deliver different performance.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-01-2017, 05:47 AM   #4
Pentaxian

This sounds just like my DA* 200. SDM works but it is just slow, especially when trying to photograph birds. I doubt a new motor will help, if your SDM still works. My solution was to get the 55-300 PLM which is much much much faster then the DA* and near equivalent sharpness at 200mm. I still use my DA* for low light situations and use quick shift to speed things up but all other times its the PLM that I go to for telephoto.

04-01-2017, 01:37 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Any chance that Pentax/Ricoh will update some of the SDM lenses to better motors?
04-01-2017, 06:17 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jddwoods Quote
This sounds just like my DA* 200. SDM works but it is just slow, especially when trying to photograph birds. I doubt a new motor will help, if your SDM still works. My solution was to get the 55-300 PLM which is much much much faster then the DA* and near equivalent sharpness at 200mm. I still use my DA* for low light situations and use quick shift to speed things up but all other times its the PLM that I go to for telephoto.
Yes I do mostly birds & missed alot because its so slooow but I love the color & resolution when it works
just hoped the New SDM were tweaked abit or something..as no 300 on the roadmap for FF