Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-04-2017, 03:10 AM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In a previous thread on this subject this little device was recommended:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00V5YLAXG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00...&ie=UTF8&psc=1

I live in a very low humidity area but spend some time every year in the SE United States and felt some fungus protection might be wise. This device is low in cost, fairly compact, and very easy to use, being recharged by plugging into a wall electrical box. I keep it in my camera bag most of the time. I've only used it a few months so can't guarantee it's effectiveness but based on the design and specs (it's claimed to dehumidify 500 cubic ft) I would think it's effective.

04-05-2017, 10:15 AM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wanderer2 Quote
In a previous thread on this subject this little device was recommended:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00V5YLAXG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00...&ie=UTF8&psc=1

I live in a very low humidity area but spend some time every year in the SE United States and felt some fungus protection might be wise. This device is low in cost, fairly compact, and very easy to use, being recharged by plugging into a wall electrical box. I keep it in my camera bag most of the time. I've only used it a few months so can't guarantee it's effectiveness but based on the design and specs (it's claimed to dehumidify 500 cubic ft) I would think it's effective.
Interesting...A housing for silica gel packs and indicator with a built-in electric charging element. Amazon sells several similar devices including one that promises "silent operation" (ROFL)

Thanks for posting. A pair of these along with a coated nylon stuff sack would be just the thing for a visit to the humid zones.

Steve
04-05-2017, 11:56 AM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Theov39 Quote
I have a Pentax DA 55-300 lens (first generation) that unfortunately has succumbed to fungus. Quite a bit is clearly visible across the different elements.

I am now storing it separately from my other lenses, BUT If I keep using this lens, can it 'spread' to other lenses if i use them on the same camera?

Can it also infect the camera?
No and no! Fungal spores are ubiquitous. You are breathing them in right now. To germinate, all they need is humidity, an appropriate growth medium (the coatings on optics) and warmth. See the link below.

Does my view finder have fungus growing in it??? - PentaxForums.com

When not in use, keep your camera gear in an environment with the relative humidity under 70% via a dehumidifier or in a container with packages of desiccant that can be heated to dry them out after use. More than one resident of the humid tropics has told me that they kept their camera gear with desiccant inside a bell jar sealed off with lanolin to prevent the humidity from from fueling rampant fungal and bacterial growth on the lens coatings. Tropical heat and humidity is the reason. Tinea Versicolor (a fungal skin infection) is common in the tropics but not in temperate or cold regions for the same reason. The fungal spores are present in the latter regions, but don't grow on the skin without the heat and humidity (and lack of personal hygiene).

As far as the camera body goes, the humidity poses a greater risk of corrosion of metal parts than of fungal growth because of a lack of growth medium.
04-05-2017, 01:54 PM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
No and no! Fungal spores are ubiquitous. You are breathing them in right now. To germinate, all they need is humidity, an appropriate growth medium (the coatings on optics) and warmth. See the link below.

When not in use, keep your camera gear in an environment with the relative humidity under 70% via a dehumidifier or in a container with packages of desiccant that can be heated to dry them out after use. More than one resident of the humid tropics has told me that they kept their camera gear with desiccant inside a bell jar sealed off with lanolin to prevent the humidity from from fueling rampant fungal and bacterial growth on the lens coatings. Tropical heat and humidity is the reason. Tinea Versicolor (a fungal skin infection) is common in the tropics but not in temperate or cold regions for the same reason. The fungal spores are present in the latter regions, but don't grow on the skin without the heat and humidity (and lack of personal hygiene).

As far as the camera body goes, the humidity poses a greater risk of corrosion of metal parts than of fungal growth because of a lack of growth medium.
You cant teach these fungus fearing people, it is a complete waste of time.

04-05-2017, 04:28 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

I think you answered the question very well in that thread.
04-07-2017, 02:04 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster

Thanks Pete for the advice! Will do!
04-16-2017, 11:42 AM - 1 Like   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You can find very small digital humidity meters at Ali express for under $1.50 each, including button battery. Listings change all the time, but to show what I had in mind, here's a recent finding:

Digital LCD Indoor Convenient Temperature Sensor Humidity Meter Thermometer Hygrometer Gauge Weather Station Monitor Hot Sale-in Temperature Instruments from Home Improvement on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

FWIW, I once bought 16 for 1.18 each. Toi check them, I put them in a closed box, and after leaving them overnight, they all read the same, except for 2 that deviated by 1% of from the others.

You can also find reusable silicon dessicants there, also for ridiculously low prices.