Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2017, 06:22 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I'll stick to my knitting.
Making cameras is more fun for me.
Here is my attempt to make a mount for a medium format Graflock using 70+ year old vintage measuring equipment.
https://app.box.com/s/eudh2q4yvz2j60l4tbx19607rbecewqv
In those days, Rochester USA was the photographic center.
There was a USA standard that stipulated the allowable film flatness tolerances on these press type camera backs, which was a warp limit of 0.007 inch (0.178mm)

When I adapted a Super Angulon 65mm to a 1953 Baby Graflex, I had problems with tolerance on the front standard with that wide angle lens.
So I made a "jigger" milled flat and square, to set up the camera. It was a challenge to get it right.
https://app.box.com/s/f4mx4n06jpveooq6fksud3i8yv98hlea
I learned on APUG that such "jiggers" were somewhat common back in the day to align non standard lenses to the old cameras

04-06-2017, 06:49 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Probably not that much of an issue,tough, since there is typically enough extra play at the end of the helical that it can be adjusted +/- 1mm or more. LEt's face it, if you are brave enough to take a mount off, it's just a tiny bit more of a step to adjust infinity. I'd be much more concerned about tightness/wobble.
Yes, a tolerance can be "tolerated" if the mount faces are parallel with low error.
The problem on the old Graflex was that of slight skew ( the lens axis was not at 90 degrees to film plane.) even when i tried to adjust the stops.
So my photos were blurred on one side. Especially when opened up to f/8 !
https://app.box.com/s/38xrkjzk0j97d65i2erakjb03vqf6sz6

I think I have it squared up now, but have yet to do a few rolls to prove it.
04-06-2017, 07:05 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I understand some of the latest machines will give accuracy of 0.05mm. But, costs for using those are likely to be higher. I know someone with a DMLS machine - I must check with him what his tolerances are. I know he can print up to 245x245x280mm maximum size, but I'm not sure of the tolerances.
I've checked. I can confirm 0.05mm (50 microns) is the accuracy now possible.
04-06-2017, 07:12 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I've checked. I can confirm 0.05mm (50 microns) is the accuracy now possible.
Assuming the object is a basic puk, is that tolerance the error between pieces, or in the volume of one piece?
Thanks

04-06-2017, 07:30 PM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

3-D printing in titanium is available with accuracy of 0.2mm and surface roughness of 0.075mm. Provided you uploaded the 3-d file then the cost would only be around $70-100 per mount.
Of course, that may not be a tight enough tolerance. Not sure. Based upon the original K-mount drawings posted here - Looking for K mount blueprints/technical drawings - PentaxForums.com - that accuracy may be enough.
You mean the Russian language drawings? Those are Soviet GOST specs for KMZ (Zenit) K-mount lenses and bodies. The fit on a K-mount Zenitar is not bad (I have one of their products in K-mount), but not as good as genuine Pentax or Japanese-made 3rd party.

Your comment regarding tolerances is well-made. The body side tangs are spring-loaded to allow for some variance.

Steve
04-06-2017, 07:33 PM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
The classical thin lens function:
(1/f) = (1/v) + 1/u)
units [mm]
where f : focal length = 50mm for example
u = distance from n2 to film plane
v = distance from n2 to the subject being photographed

Case 1 : Adaptor Error = zero, subject : 100 metre = 100000 mm
(1/50) = (1/100000) + 1/u) > u=50.025mm

Case 2 : u = 50.025 mm from case 1. Adaptor Error = 0.2mm, subject : to be calculated as v
(1/50) = (1/v) + 1/50.025) > v = 11161 mm; v= 11.161 metre`
You have a classic thin lens in K-mount

Steve
04-06-2017, 07:46 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
You have a classic thin lens in K-mount

Steve
I think I do , and added bonus is a thin plastic lens!
Thanks to Jean and his crazy projector lens club!
But it is in the attic and the photos of it/by it are I dunno where. Let me look.

(Anyway for this purpose that calculation is OK for any 50mm K lens.)

Edit: After many searches , found it!

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/122-lens-clubs/264161-projector-lens-clu...ml#post2888731

Last edited by wombat2go; 04-06-2017 at 08:06 PM.
04-06-2017, 08:59 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
Assuming the object is a basic puk, is that tolerance the error between pieces, or in the volume of one piece?
Thanks
As I understand it, that's variance from any given point per the 3D CAD model to the manufactured product.
04-06-2017, 09:50 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Structural integrity aside, how do you intend to fit the mount with appropriate lens data communication contacts?

3-D printing in titanium is available with accuracy of 0.2mm and surface roughness of 0.075mm.
0.2mm isn't a tight enough tolerance to ensure that things won't bind and that things like the locking pin will line up.
DCshooter, you're right and with a material like titanium seizing will be more problematic and will be compounded by lax tolerances. With alloys that self-generate an oxide surface film for corrosion protection: During tightening, as pressure builds between the contacting and sliding surfaces, protective oxides are broken, possibly wiped off, and interface metal points can shear or lock together. This cumulative clogging-shearing-locking action causes increasing adhesion. In the extreme, surface damage can lead to seizing - the actual freezing together of the surfaces. Using graphite as a lubricant can prevent this issue, however it needs to be applied carefully across the contact surface.

Last edited by Digitalis; 04-06-2017 at 10:05 PM.
04-07-2017, 07:00 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Each step in this process would increase the cost of the conversion substantially, and really, I don't see anything beyond the Leitax style plus perhaps a stop down lever as remotely feasible outside of an industrial setting.
I agree, which makes the conversion mount not all that different from a common M42 screwmount adapter.
04-07-2017, 09:34 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

although it is all the rage these days, is it really worth it. after all you can buy flanged M42 to K mount adaptors on Ebay for about $5.00 these days, and all you need in addition is shims the correct thickness to set infinity focus correctly.

what does it cost these days for a 3 d print. surely more than $5
04-07-2017, 01:57 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
.... with a material like titanium seizing will be more problematic....
Can do 316 stainless steel too.
04-07-2017, 02:44 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

They can do brass too, but not with the same accuracy as with titanium or stainless. The reason is that the brass process requires a secondary process - a lost wax casting.
04-08-2017, 12:36 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I still think it is not worst the effort, but what about replacement aperture l vers, for all the ones hacked off by canon uses
04-08-2017, 12:45 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
btw. if anyone wants really high quality lens elements for projects, i stumbled upon this:

Olympus Zuiko Digital 50-200mm f2.8-3.5.