Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-07-2017, 02:11 AM   #1

Need to put together a lens cleaning kit

Hi,

I need to put together a very good lens cleaning kit. What should i be looking for to go into this kit? Does anyone have a source for the parts i should get?

I am in Africa and have procured a A LOT of Takumar lenses. As you can imagine some of these need a good clean.

I cant get much locally. Maybe , i can find a can of compressed air locally - will check the 1 hour photo shop here. That's about all i can refer to locally - a 1 hour photo mini lab.

I will be airfreighting everything in so cant order stuff like cans of compressed air etc. Cleaning fluid is probably ok (need to check)

Any ideas/thoughts on what should be going into a hardcore lens cleaning station?

Also way way too many more Taks inbound to me. I gotta stop this or i will go blind ;-)

Thanks

04-07-2017, 02:53 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
i wouldn't use compressed air, you are liable to send dust inside your lens,use a camel hair brush and a rocket blower followed by lens cleaner and a microfiber cloth . F OR FUNGUS i USE ZIPPO FLUID FOLLOWED BY iSOPROPIL ALCOHOL.
04-07-2017, 06:40 AM   #3

Original Poster
Zippo Fluid?? Is this recognised as OK for the glass and its coatings? Sounds like a harsh treatment. But i dont really know, so have to defer to those who do.

How is the Zippo fluid applied?

Guess a bit of goggling is in order.
04-07-2017, 11:17 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Zippo fluid is perfectly fine for Pentax coatings. So is acetone, although you will want ot keep it away form painted surfaces. aLso be aware that both can seep behind lens elements, so if you are clenaing from the exterior only, then use it sparingly on a lab graade wipe or microfiber cloth.

Are you planning on cleaning the exterior only or are you planning on disassembling?

For exterior, the best thing is a toothbrush and Armor All, Zippo for hard to remove dirt. If you disassemble, plain soapy water is just fine to use with the toothbrush.

For cleaning lens elements , get some kimwipes or similar lab-grade wipes.

For cleanign out helicals, nothing really beats an ultrasonic cleaner, but if you don't have access to one, a toothrush and hot soapy water, followed by Zippo will work well.

Avoid canned air. Either use a rocket blower or a compressor with an in-line particulate filter.
No wont be doing any disassembly. I need to clean front/rear elements and body/barrel.

Is there only ne type/formulation of zippo fluid? So if i can find it here, it will be the right stuff ?

04-07-2017, 01:11 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NedKelly Quote
No wont be doing any disassembly. I need to clean front/rear elements and body/barrel.

Is there only ne type/formulation of zippo fluid? So if i can find it here, it will be the right stuff ?
I have used CVS WIPES ,just remember blow it brush it blow it and the gently wipe. OH by the way the less you clean the better as you will always run the risk of scratching it every time you clean it. It is something you should do as little a possible. But if you are worried bout zippo, stick to distilled water.Oh and if you are using a micro fiber cloth for crying out load make sure it is clean.

---------- Post added 04-07-17 at 04:13 PM ----------

Zippo fluid is perfectly fine for Pentax coatings. So is acetone, although you will want ot keep it away form painted surfaces. aLso be aware that both can seep behind lens elements, so if you are clenaing from the exterior only, then use it sparingly on a lab graade wipe or microfiber cloth.

Are you planning on cleaning the exterior only or are you planning on disassembling?

For exterior, the best thing is a toothbrush and Armor All, Zippo for hard to remove dirt. If you disassemble, plain soapy water is just fine to use with the toothbrush.

For cleaning lens elements , get some kimwipes or similar lab-grade wipes.

For cleanign out helicals, nothing really beats an ultrasonic cleaner, but if you don't have access to one, a toothrush and hot soapy water, followed by Zippo will work well.

Avoid canned air. Either use a rocket blower or a compressor with an in-line particulate filter.
I like the soap and water method, haven't tried the toothbrush yet.
04-07-2017, 05:11 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have noticed that ultrasonic cleaners come in a variety of sizes. Based on your own experience, what would you consider to be the most practical size for cleaning disassembled lens parts.
04-09-2017, 09:48 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

At the end of the day ,once all the nasty cleaning is done I finish up with Windex.

04-09-2017, 10:16 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use a 3L, but if you are working on smaller lenses, something as small as 1.5L would be fine.

Remember to use such a cleaner on the metal parts only, as it can damage the glass. Also be aware that the clenaer can remove engraving fill in paint, too, especially when using a stronger cleaning fluid in it.
Thanks for the info!
04-09-2017, 10:31 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Look for naphtha, maybe in a hardware or paint store. The label might say "VM & P Naphtha" which stands for "Varnish Makers and Painters".
04-09-2017, 01:19 PM   #10

Original Poster
great info here ! Thanks
04-09-2017, 01:32 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

great info here ! Thanks
Ok my method is first use zippo or acetone followed by isopropal alcohol followed by Windex for sreak and haze free finished product. Also soap and water works well, just remember to let the elements dry for an hour or so.
04-09-2017, 01:34 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe too obvious, so it hasn't been mentioned, but a vacuum cleaner for initial exterior cleaning in conjunction with a brush. You can e.g. clamp the nozzle to a table and hold the lens accordingly in front of it or use a DYI reducer to a smaller tube for better handling.
04-09-2017, 01:55 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JensE Quote
Maybe too obvious, so it hasn't been mentioned, but a vacuum cleaner for initial exterior cleaning in conjunction with a brush. You can e.g. clamp the nozzle to a table and hold the lens accordingly in front of it or use a DYI reducer to a smaller tube for better handling.
Nice idea sometimes you might get dust int the lens this way, but nice thought. The brush first is a must
04-09-2017, 02:04 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by niceshot Quote
Nice idea sometimes you might get dust int the lens this way, but nice thought. The brush first is a must
You don't suck air through the lens, just perpendicular - very useful to get dust off those rubberized or grooved focus rings or (with just enough air flow) to quickly get any dust brushed loose of the front/rear lens so it doesn't scratch on the next move. So not after or instead, but in conjunction with the brush.
04-09-2017, 03:55 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JensE Quote
You don't suck air through the lens, just perpendicular - very useful to get dust off those rubberized or grooved focus rings or (with just enough air flow) to quickly get any dust brushed loose of the front/rear lens so it doesn't scratch on the next move. So not after or instead, but in conjunction with the brush.
Yes it is good to clean it thoroughly like that first. As sand scratches,and will not make your day.