Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-11-2008, 10:33 AM   #1
Inactive Account




Join Date: May 2008
Location: Forest Park, Georgia/Jacksonville, Florida
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 633
Interesting comparison - DA lenses on 35MM

Go to Lenses | PentaxLife and move down to DA Limited on Film.

08-11-2008, 10:40 AM   #2
Pentaxian
Asahiflex's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Netherlands
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,753
And here's the direct link to the photo page:

Boris Liberman
08-11-2008, 10:23 PM   #3
Inactive Account




Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Calgary, AB
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 942
Interesting to finally see these results bourne out in testing. FWIW, I think it rules out the idea that these DA primes were possibly designed with use on a future FF sensor in mind. Edge performance is simply not good enough to seem intentional. The fact it can be done is a little plus I guess. Perhaps they were engineered extra wide to enhance APS performance with a 'sweet spot' effect. (good vignette and edge to edge image sharpness performace seen when using lenses corrected for 35mm on APS because you can't see the actual edges of the image circle)
08-12-2008, 12:46 AM   #4
Pentaxian
ryan s's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Madison, WI
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,370
I enjoy a bit of vignetting, but really nothing is going to get me to buy a DA unless it's full-frame compatible.

No, I'm not one of those people pushing for an FF SLR...if it happens, cool...my FF is film. The 16-50 is 100% perfect for me, but why spend $600 for a lens I can only use on digital?

08-12-2008, 03:21 AM   #5
Veteran Member
ghelary's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Paris, France
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 617
QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
I enjoy a bit of vignetting, but really nothing is going to get me to buy a DA unless it's full-frame compatible.

No, I'm not one of those people pushing for an FF SLR...if it happens, cool...my FF is film. The 16-50 is 100% perfect for me, but why spend $600 for a lens I can only use on digital?
Well the DA limited serie is much cheaper than the FA limited, FF sensor will be the standard for SLR in a few years (5 to 10, no one knows) but APSC still have a future. On my side I can live with the K10D / K20D architecture (or the competition like Nikon D300) for some years.

There's still advantages of making APSC versus FF, in particular it allows faster electronics (more images per second)

As for long term investment, I think that the DA limited serie, is better value for my money than the FA for the moment, and I don't think I'll have to throw them out when I'll turn full frame. There have been still plenty of discution about how Pentax can keep compatibility of "APSC" lens on a FF body.
08-12-2008, 04:41 AM   #6
Forum Member




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: LA
Posts: 74
QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
No, I'm not one of those people pushing for an FF SLR...if it happens, cool...my FF is film. The 16-50 is 100% perfect for me, but why spend $600 for a lens I can only use on digital?
Having just purchased the wonderful DA limiteds (21, 40, and 70) in the past week, I never spent more than $400, which is more than reasonable. All three are stellar lenses, if you like shooting with primes.
08-12-2008, 05:11 AM   #7
Veteran Member
creampuff's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Singapore
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,955
The results are not at all surprising considering the DA Limiteds were first conceived at a time when the feasibility of a FF sensor coming to market was still unclear. Right now the prospect of FF sensors is certainly no longer a question of if but when (my guesstimate is 24 months for Pentax).

With the APS-C sensors as the most economical size and as a de facto standard for the last few years, there was just no requirement for a larger image circle. In hindsight, this was possibly something the folks at Pentax didn't not consider that FF sensors might soon emerge on the horizon so soon.

I do expect that the DA lenses might still be used on future FF camera bodies but with a cropped image. Pentax should henceforth roll out lenses with larger image circles (modified ex-FA) or clearly differentiate their lens line-up into APS-C or FF usable.

My guess is the current DA Limiteds might be revamped for FF sensors in the foreseeable future. After all, the original M40mm manual focus pancake for 35mm film has a larger image circle than the current DA40, so it would be pretty easy to do.
08-12-2008, 01:14 PM   #8
Pentaxian
ryan s's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Madison, WI
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,370
QuoteOriginally posted by ghelary Quote
Well the DA limited serie is much cheaper than the FA limited, FF sensor will be the standard for SLR in a few years (5 to 10, no one knows) but APSC still have a future. On my side I can live with the K10D / K20D architecture (or the competition like Nikon D300) for some years.

There's still advantages of making APSC versus FF, in particular it allows faster electronics (more images per second)

As for long term investment, I think that the DA limited serie, is better value for my money than the FA for the moment, and I don't think I'll have to throw them out when I'll turn full frame. There have been still plenty of discution about how Pentax can keep compatibility of "APSC" lens on a FF body.
QuoteOriginally posted by wiyum Quote
Having just purchased the wonderful DA limiteds (21, 40, and 70) in the past week, I never spent more than $400, which is more than reasonable. All three are stellar lenses, if you like shooting with primes.
I do agree the DA series are a better value since they're cheaper and near to the FAs in length, speed, etc. To me, I'd rather spend $800 on the 31 and know 100% it will work with any camera without vignettes/distortions.

Oh...and I still need an aperture ring for the MX
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
I do expect that the DA lenses might still be used on future FF camera bodies but with a cropped image. Pentax should henceforth roll out lenses with larger image circles (modified ex-FA) or clearly differentiate their lens line-up into APS-C or FF usable.
This is what I'm waiting for Pentax to do. They need to make sure their lenses can be used either way on digi bodies.

But even then, I'll still want to use them on manual film bodies. Guess I'm SOL until they bring back the aperture ring. That's why I bought into Pentax...I can use all my lenses with both of my Pentax bodies so there's no need for multiple "same" lenses.

Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
da, k-mount, lenses, pentax lens, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Comparison - APS-C, 35mm, 645MedFmt architorture Pentax DSLR Discussion 13 06-01-2009 04:04 AM
Interesting lens comparison from an Oly shooter jsherman999 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 12 05-25-2009 06:46 PM
FA 31mm LTD vs FA 35mm comparison Robert S Donovan Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 25 05-05-2009 12:44 PM
Interesting Comparison: Canon 1Ds Mkll vs Pentax K20D benjikan Pentax DSLR Discussion 96 02-04-2009 05:45 AM
Interesting K10d K20d comparison PentaxPoke Pentax DSLR Discussion 24 03-04-2008 11:37 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:49 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top