Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
04-10-2017, 01:26 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Voigtlander Nokton 58mm f/1.4 SL-II

I'm having a lot of fun with my FA 50 1.7 frankenlens right now, but I love the rendering from the Voightlander as a portrait lens, from the pictures I've seen posted in PF. Since production was stopped in the KA mount it made them scarce. I would really like to get my hands on one. I have a wanted thread posted, but in the event of not being able to get one in the near future, are there any reasonable conversions for nikon or canon mounts? Should I just wait it out until one in KA mount comes up for sale?

04-10-2017, 02:06 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Leitax has a conversion for Nikon F-mount lenses to Pentax K. Alternatively, you could get the Adaptist PK+MM Multi-Mount for your camera and not need to operate on the lens.

Canon lens on Pentax body is of course impossible without compensating glass elements, but that's okay in this case, because I don't believe the Nokton 58/1.4 SL II was ever released in Canon EF-mount anyway.
04-10-2017, 02:38 PM   #3
Site Supporter

I have used the Voigtlander, and it's pretty special. Lovely rendering that reminds me quite a bit of Zeiss - lots of micro contrast, nice 3D look to it (I think they may have been made by the same Cosina plant, but maybe someone else can confirm this).

+1 to the Leitax. Requires some DIY, or send them the lens. But worth it to get your hands on some rare lenses.
04-10-2017, 03:05 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I would really like a Voigtlander, but they are scarce. I think you can still get some online, from abroad. Check large online photostores in Japan, Hong Kong,.. post a Wanted post on this forum.
If you have the money, there are very few reasons against the Voigtlander. But there are some alterantives, especially around the 50mm focal length. Look at the Pentax and Takumar lenses between 55mm and 135mm for classic portrait lenses. Think about the Soviet lenses like the Helios 44-2.. bigger gamble, but much more affordable and plentiful

04-10-2017, 03:50 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I would really like a Voigtlander, but they are scarce. I think you can still get some online, from abroad. Check large online photostores in Japan, Hong Kong,.. post a Wanted post on this forum.
I posted an ad yesterday and have searched far and wide for about a week now. I may just wait it out since I'm not in desperate need of the lens and I don't want one bad enough to over pay someone trying to take advantage of me wanting one.
04-10-2017, 05:13 PM - 1 Like   #6
hcc
Pentaxian

I have both the Voigtlander Nokton 58mm f1.4 and FA50mm f1.7. It is day and night. The VL58mm is way superior, much better IQ, more pleasing colour rendering. No competition.

I did a short, limited comparison between the VL58mm and FA31mm:
FA31mm f1.8 vs VL Nokton 58mm f1.4 - PentaxForums.com
The VL58mm is very close to the FA31mm IMHO.

I have used my VL58mm f1.4 for now 8 years. It was my 2nd lens, and I bought it based upon advice from this forum. This was my best lens investment. The VL58mm is very sturdy and perfect for harsh outdoor conditions. Especially the VL58mm is extra-ordinary (IMHO) in poor lighting conditions: e.g., fog, smoke, smog. In such poor conditions, the VL58mm is my best lens (ahead of FA31mm and FA77mm). Lastly the VL58mm is excellent in very-very-low light when the AF does not lock. The MF ring of the VL58mm is very smooth and easy to use.

I advise you be be patient and get a VL58mm with PK mount. There are some appearing in the marketplace here and on the bay relatively regularly. The VL58mm is worth the wait; you will enjoy it.

Hope that the comment may help.
04-10-2017, 07:53 PM - 1 Like   #7
Marketplace Reseller

I own the Voigtlander 58mm F1.4, Zeiss 50mm F1.4 and Pentax A 50mm F1.2... All of them are masterpiece... Voigtlander and Zeiss have very similar rendition (except an "orange tint" for the Voigtlander and "blue tint" for the Zeiss). But for lowlight condition nothing beats the Pentax A 50mm 1.2...

04-10-2017, 08:52 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
I have both the Voigtlander Nokton 58mm f1.4 and FA50mm f1.7. It is day and night. The VL58mm is way superior, much better IQ, more pleasing colour rendering. No competition.

I did a short, limited comparison between the VL58mm and FA31mm:
FA31mm f1.8 vs VL Nokton 58mm f1.4 - PentaxForums.com
The VL58mm is very close to the FA31mm IMHO.

I have used my VL58mm f1.4 for now 8 years. It was my 2nd lens, and I bought it based upon advice from this forum. This was my best lens investment. The VL58mm is very sturdy and perfect for harsh outdoor conditions. Especially the VL58mm is extra-ordinary (IMHO) in poor lighting conditions: e.g., fog, smoke, smog. In such poor conditions, the VL58mm is my best lens (ahead of FA31mm and FA77mm). Lastly the VL58mm is excellent in very-very-low light when the AF does not lock. The MF ring of the VL58mm is very smooth and easy to use.

I advise you be be patient and get a VL58mm with PK mount. There are some appearing in the marketplace here and on the bay relatively regularly. The VL58mm is worth the wait; you will enjoy it.

So would the FA50 1.7 be worth keeping for any reason other than AF? My copy is a frankenlens that has a focus lock added to it. The lens takes amazing pictures and I must say the addition of the lock makes the focus ring easier to use since it is wider. It doesn't really have a good reputation here since everyone is skeptical of the mod, so if I wanted to sell it, I would have to go to fleaBay. After I decided to get back into photography I went for anything with AF only to go back to my roots and use MF. So if I acquired VL58mm it would replace my FA50 as my portrait lens.
04-10-2017, 11:26 PM - 1 Like   #9
hcc
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LeChefRouge Quote
So would the FA50 1.7 be worth keeping for any reason other than AF? My copy is a frankenlens that has a focus lock added to it. The lens takes amazing pictures and I must say the addition of the lock makes the focus ring easier to use since it is wider. It doesn't really have a good reputation here since everyone is skeptical of the mod, so if I wanted to sell it, I would have to go to fleaBay. After I decided to get back into photography I went for anything with AF only to go back to my roots and use MF. So if I acquired VL58mm it would replace my FA50 as my portrait lens.
Honestly, I wonder why I keep the FA50mm f1.7. I love my VL58mm f1.4, I have a Pentax A50mm f1.2 for special very low light occasions.

For portrait, the VL 58mm is a winner over the FA50mm f1.7. The FA50mm f1.7 is sharp but I do not like the colours.

04-11-2017, 03:25 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Wouldn't it make more sense to compare the VL 58mm to the DA* 55mm f1.4? More similar FoV and aperture. But the * has some more features like AF and WR
04-11-2017, 03:54 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Wouldn't it make more sense to compare the VL 58mm to the DA* 55mm f1.4? More similar FoV and aperture. But the * has some more features like AF and WR
Good point - the Nokton is superb, a real pleasure to use, but the DA* 55 is now my "goto" standard lens on the K1.

I think the key difference (from a user perspective) is whether you want/need the AF capability. My eyes are over two score years and ten so I really appreciate the help given by the DA*, but my hands love the feel of the smooth, positive focus ring on the Nokton. They are both superb optically, so you won't go wrong with either - it's all part of the fun of LBA
04-12-2017, 08:13 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
LBA has defineitly kicked in, so I started looking at other lenses I'd like to own since I wasnt sure I'd be able to find the VL58 and 2 of them are currently available in the marketplace right now. The FA43 limited and the A50 1.2. The big problem is I finally found a VL58 with hood in excellent condition, but it comes at a price that's more than the other lenses. I can only afford 1 of these lenses and I feel inclined to go after the VL58 since it seems to be the most rare and when listed they get snatched up quick. Well, here it goes, I'm sticking with the VL58 thanks to another awesome PF member!