Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2017, 05:49 PM   #1

Which Zeiss and or Leica lenses can I mount to 645Z and or K1

I am the proud owner of a Pentax 645z and a Pentax K1. Aside from a number of Pentax 645 lenses I currently own the Pentax 645 HD 90mm which is a superb lens, but the only updated lens I own for the MF system. I was looking into purchasing some additional lenses for it. Specifically I was looking for a wide angle to be used for landscape and architecture photography as well as a portrait lens for either the 645 or the K1, if I can afford both. Since the HD 90mm for the 645 is such an amazing lens I am considering buying the portrait lens for my K1, unless there is a lens out there that could rival the amazing HD 90mm on the 645 or the three amigos on the K1, which I own several of.
After researching the HD 35mm and the HD 55mm for the 645, I stumbled upon some discussions (Pentax Medium Format Resources: Pentax 645: Third party lenses via adapter - PentaxForums.com) on Zeiss and Leica lenses, but the information I saw as to what Zeiss and Leica lenses could be adapted to the 645Z or the K1, was full of gaps and left me doing hours of searching online for clear information, to no avail. After doing more research I was still left with several questions.

1) Are the Zeiss and Leica wide angle lens offerings (for 645z) better suited for landscape and architectural photography, than the updated Pentax HD 35mm or HD 55mm?
To be more specific, I read up on some old Leica glass that has almost no distortion at wide angles and to be honest I really liked the sample images from Zeiss and Leica. Also, since the 35mm seems to be the widest updated lens offering from Pentax on the 645 (I am aware of the 25mm Pentax lens that goes for a hefty price, but was hooked on the rendering of the Zeiss and Leica lenses) I decided to look at 3rd party lenses. Whats most important is that any lens I buy is capable of taking advantage of the full resolution of the 645z sensor. I know that the updated Pentax HD 35mm and 55mm are made to take full advantage of the sensor, but not sure if anything from Zeiss or Leica would also fit the bill.

2) What is the difference between the rendering of the Zeiss versus Leica lenses and which one would you choose for an architectural/landscape lens and a portrait lens. Obviously it would be two different lenses.

3) Which Zeiss or Leica lenses are adaptable to the Pentax 645z or the K1. I stumbled upon a discussion on this forum but it seemed to focus on Zeiss lenses and didn’t notice any Leica lenses listed. I also found another discussion where a member had fitted his 645 with Leica glass. The adapter which allowed the Leica lens to be put on the 645z was only capable of attaching lenses with an M39 screw mount. Does that mean that I can only attach Leica glass that has an M39 mount or are there other mounts for Leica that can be attached via another adapter? I am aware that they would function only in manual. I am looking for a more updated and complete list of these lenses that I can adapt to my 645 and or K1. Another complication is that some of the adapted lenses seemed to not be able to focus to infinity. Although this wouldn’t be a real problem for a portrait lens I want to make sure that the lens I would choose for landscape would not suffer from this. I am only interested in lenses that would fit the 645 and take advantage of the full sensor size, no cropped.

04-10-2017, 07:09 PM   #2
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
G'day and welcome to the forums,

Some recommendations to assist you get your answer:

You've gone middle of the road to post in the main SLR lens discussion section about 645 and K mount. You might get your answer this way, if not then I suggest you ask the question regarding 645 in the medium format section here: Pentax Medium Format - PentaxForums.com

So far as Leica and Zeiss lenses available in K mount this I can help with, though others will be able to add the bits I miss/don't know.

Zeiss made lenses for K mount briefly, these are ZK lenses. Not all the T* lenses were made in ZK so the Wide angle Distagon T* 15mm/2.8 as an example is only available via an adaptor. Not all Zeiss and Leica lenses can be adapted, though a good start in determining what can is to visit this website: Leica & Pentax & Nikon | Leitax Using the Leitax adaptor on the ZF/ZF2 versions of the Zeiss T* lenses both classis and Milvus will get you a broader choice of Zeiss lenses than were ever available in ZK mount. There are industrial versions of the classic T* Zeiss lenses in M42 that can be fitted using the Pentax M42 to K adaptor as well. There is also Contax Carl Zeiss lenses to consider though only those identified on the Leitax page can be adapted.

I'm not well versed on Leica options for adaption to K mount however the Leitax adaptor webpage will identify those that will work with their adaptor and if you have any question you can contact them directly.

As you mentioned wide angle and architecture I thought I'd mention an option to consider due to it's lack of distortion and availability in K mount. It is the Venus Laowa 12mm f2.8, some reviews online are here:

Venus Laowa 12mm f/2.8 Review
Review: Taking the 'Zero Distortion' Laowa 12mm f/2.8 for a Spin

Good luck with your query hopefully the smarter cookies will be along to help soon.

Tas
04-10-2017, 09:13 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SGBphotography Quote
Are the Zeiss and Leica wide angle lens offerings (for 645z) better suited for landscape and architectural photography, than the updated Pentax HD 35mm or HD 55mm?
Just a forewarning: If you want to use full autofocus and autoexposure modes on the 645Z and Kl-1, adapting lenses frequently involves forgoing such luxuries. There is nothing wrong with the HD35mm and HD55mm lenses on the 645Z, and the newer DFA lenses for the K-1 are quite good too as well as the highly regarded FA limited lenses.

QuoteOriginally posted by SGBphotography Quote
Which Zeiss or Leica lenses are adaptable to the Pentax 645z or the K1.
Quite a few, for the K-1 but all of them are from the older Leica R series lenses for 35mm SLRs* Also the Zeiss lenses made for the Contax system and if you are willing to pay for it: some of the older ZK lenses. Also the Voigtlander SL series lenses are technical marvels and are worth a look. There aren't any Leica lenses that are suited to the 645Z. Some of the older zeiss V series, and Zeiss Contax 645 lenses can be used through an adapter.

*The Leica R, Zeiss/Contax and Voigtlander SL lenses command prices bordering on the extortionate. And again, you will have to forgo autofocus and most of the autoexposure modes when using adapted lenses on the K-1. Though Zeiss and Voigtlander do make lenses to suit K mount, however they are quite rare and again with rarity, the price goes up.

Last edited by Digitalis; 04-10-2017 at 09:20 PM.