Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-12-2008, 01:06 PM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by tux08902 Quote
Wow, I hadn't noticed that a lot of the good photos were taken with a K10D. That makes it even more worthwhile. Also, the pictures at the air show were good too, which means that the MF probably isn't difficult to handle. I think I'm going to go for it, assuming it's cheap enough.
Static images aren't that much of a challenge for a MF Lens. Regarding the Tamron zoom i can only speak of my own preferences which would tend towards a more versatile (speak longer) zoom range, maybe the kit 18-55 II which seems a rather big improvement over the standard Kit 18-55 and quite much Bang for the Buck.

08-12-2008, 01:52 PM   #17
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by memira Quote
Static images aren't that much of a challenge for a MF Lens. Regarding the Tamron zoom i can only speak of my own preferences which would tend towards a more versatile (speak longer) zoom range, maybe the kit 18-55 II which seems a rather big improvement over the standard Kit 18-55 and quite much Bang for the Buck.
Static images aren't much of a challenge for a MF lens, but action shots are. I was referring to the photos of the flying planes at the air show when I made that comment.

As for the kits lens, the DA 35/2.8 Macro Limited has proven a more than adequate replacement for the kit lens. It stays on my camera majority of the time, and I've found that it's the perfect focal length for my general needs. However, I need something in the wide end.
08-12-2008, 02:21 PM   #18

Static images aren't much of a challenge for a MF lens, but action shots are. I was referring to the photos of the flying planes at the air show when I made that comment.

As for the kits lens, the DA 35/2.8 Macro Limited has proven a more than adequate replacement for the kit lens. It stays on my camera majority of the time, and I've found that it's the perfect focal length for my general needs. However, I need something in the wide end.
seems I missed the picture of the me 109 in flight (only saw the picture of the same plane on the ground...). If that was taken at 200mm the plane must have been pretty close.

On the wide end I replaced my kit 18-55 with the DA 12-24 which seems out of Budget for you I guess... For General use I still extensively use my zooms in the 28-70/80 range.

However regarding the Kit II there seem to be a quite notable advance compared to the standard Kit (though I cant speak of own experience) which itself offered a quite decent performance for its price.
08-12-2008, 06:19 PM   #19
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I'll see how the Tamron 17-35mm goes. I'm really not interested in kit lenses at this point. The DA 35/2.8 Macro Limited serves as my all around lens and replaced my kit lense quite aptly. Any other advice?

08-12-2008, 06:45 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Here's that Tokina 80-200/2.8 at KEH that I had mentioned earlier:
KEH Camera: Pentax Manual Focus - Non-Mfg Zoom Lenses - 80-200 F2.8 TOKINA AT-X SD (77) WITH HOOD, CAPS, CS, 35MM SLR MANUAL FOCUS ZOOM TELEPHOTO LENS

I'm looking forward to seeing what you'll be able to do with those new additions to your kit.

Happy shopping!

Heather
08-15-2008, 08:13 AM   #21
Inactive Account

I'm aware the Tamron 17-35mm isn't available for Pentax anymore. It used to be though, and I've managed to find one. If I can get it for cheap enough, then I might go for it. Is it a good lens?
Yes. It's definitely better than the kit lens. Having said that, there were things about the kit lens I miss... like instant manual focus override without flicking any switches, and the nifty little tab on the lens hood for rotating filters. Also an equivalent of 26-50mm is a bit odd... but it's great for me since I still shoot 35mm film and so can take advantage of its true range. Anyway it's a very good semi-wide lens on the dSLR and if you can find one at a good price I'd go for it.

As for telephoto, the Tamron 70-300mm is a great choice for the money. It does have flaws, which is why I'm now waiting for a Pentax 55-300mm (will post some test shots when it comes)... but the Pentax is well over twice the cost. Personally I'd forget the Sigma since it doesn't have the value appeal of the Tamron and nor is it significantly better (especially past 200mm).

Last edited by ZaphodB; 08-15-2008 at 08:20 AM.
08-16-2008, 04:19 PM   #22
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Well, I won the Tokina AT-X SD 80-200/2.8 for $160. According to pictures on PBase, it seems like a very classy lens. Now, I need to cover the lower end.

08-16-2008, 06:09 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That sounds like a great deal.
I'm curious, though--does this lens have an "A" setting on the aperture ring?
At any rate, I'm looking forward to seeing some LBA pics.

Heather
08-25-2008, 01:09 PM   #24
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I should be getting the lens within a day or two. It's coming from Canada. I don't think it has the "A" setting, but I don't think I'd mind. I use green button metering and manual focusing with my two Pentax lenses. The best part about this lens is that the optics did not change between this MF version that I bought and the AT-X 828 (AF version) that has gotten great reviews. I suppose it'd perform as well as that one.

As for my wide-end dilemma, I think I'm going to wait a bit and get the DA 21/3.2 Limited and top it off with the DA 15mm Limited when it's released.