Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2017, 09:05 PM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
What sharpness and megapixel loss? The FA 77 is not a razor sharp cut yourself design exactly but it is very sharp and has great characteristics. The megapixels on whatever sensor you use will be leveraged on whatever lens you use.
Please watch this.

04-21-2017, 02:49 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by cataseven Quote
Please watch this.

https://youtu.be/YDbUIfB5YUc
Great video. Simplifies things. A must watch for both APS-C and FF shooters! Thanks for posting.
04-21-2017, 05:58 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cataseven Quote
Please watch this.

https://youtu.be/YDbUIfB5YUc
Dxo methodology isn't clear.

Tony made some seriously misleading statements. He never clearly explained that crop sensor lenses are multiplied by the same factors. He did did show this in slide examples, but never discussed it. Furthermore, the comparisons were seemingly poorly matched in many cases. It wasn't clear if some of them also involved aa filter vs no aa filter.

Real tests using crop and full frame lenses for years on this site haven't shown this relationship. Example: DA 70mm vs FA 77mm Limited Review - Image Quality: Sharpness | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Real pictures not charts tell a different story. I own many lenses of both types and use them in real world shooting.

Lastly the lenses in question are some of the finest lenses made not just run of the mill glass. Sharpness is only a part of the equation.
04-21-2017, 08:23 AM - 2 Likes   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I looked up an MSDS sheet for sodium chloride - and from that information I gleaned that toxic amounts of it would have to ingested to balance out some of the crap that Tony stated in that video. Complete lack of scientific basis for his conclusions, gross oversimplifications and in some cases: outright incorrect information and a completely shameless plug for his buying guide.

04-21-2017, 12:04 PM - 1 Like   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I looked up an MSDS sheet for sodium chloride - and from that information I gleaned that toxic amounts of it would have to ingested to balance out some of the crap that Tony stated in that video. Complete lack of scientific basis for his conclusions, gross oversimplifications and in some cases: outright incorrect information and a completely shameless plug for his buying guide.
I was a bit more restrained but your points are valid if colorful.
04-22-2017, 10:44 AM   #21

That sounds like a rehashing of the case for high pixel density sensors "out resolving" a lens, and somehow becoming less sharp. He also implies that all crop bodies have a higher pixel density than FF bodies, which is often, but not always true. Finally, he states that you must ALWAYS multiply the aperture of a FF lens when shooting it on a crop body. Do NOT do that for exposure purposes, which is the primary usage of the f/stop system. An f/2.8 aperture is just as bright on crop as it is on FF. The alleged differences only come out when comparing depth-of-field and other aesthetics.
04-23-2017, 07:07 AM - 2 Likes   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I was a bit more restrained but your points are valid if colorful.
That tends to happen after a glass of scotch or two. I have no tolerance for the willfully ignorant.

04-25-2017, 06:05 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Might I suggest a DA 55 * it is an awesome lens... Has an awesome "soft" portrait effect at F1.4 and is also tack sharp from F1.6 on up. Gives awesome star bursts too. A nice all around lens great for portraits or moderate telephoto use and low light performance. I truly find it is a lens used far more than expected. Truthfully it has been on my KP with the 20-40 in the bag the last half a week.

I am personally very impressed with the 55 but have promised myself a DFA 85 when available and 1,500 or whatever price they charge. It will be an exceptional piece of glass I am sure and will give me an approximately classic 135 in 35mm terms on my APS-C. I can't wait as it will give me a third * lens in my kit! Just like my three DA Limiteds.

Last edited by gm4life; 04-25-2017 at 09:23 PM.