Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2017, 03:34 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Tomioka-made Chinon 55 1.4? Will I be able to Mount it on K-S2?

Hello,

I have a Tomioka-made Sears 55 1.4. While I am very happy with it on my Sony mirrorless, I can't use it on my K-S2 because its huge A/M switch hits the pentaprism housing. I read that the same lens (with different cosmetics) is also sold as a Chinon 55 1.4. Does anyone know of the A/M switch on the Chinon will hit the pentaprism housing?

Sincerely

通过我的 Nexus 6P 上的 Tapatalk发言

04-15-2017, 04:36 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The A/m switch should be somewhere bottom right, not near the pentaprism. There are a lot of Tomioka made 55 1.4 lenses. I have a Porst. Are you using a adapter that recesses into the mount without a flange on top of it?
04-15-2017, 05:29 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
The A/m switch should be somewhere bottom right, not near the pentaprism. There are a lot of Tomioka made 55 1.4 lenses. I have a Porst. Are you using a adapter that recesses into the mount without a flange on top of it?
I am using a sit-flush adapter similar to the official Pentax one. The switch on my Sears hits the pentaprism housing and stops the lens from being screwed in all the way.

---------- Post added 04-15-17 at 05:31 PM ----------

This one. So good that it deserves its own reveiew.

04-15-2017, 07:17 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by butangmucat Quote
. . .
Does anyone know of the A/M switch on the Chinon will hit the pentaprism housing?
I don't, but maybe this will help?

The Sears 55 on the right is, I believe, a re-badged Chinon. Measured at the A / M switches, the diameter of the 'Chinon' is about 65mm and for the other Sears 55 it's about 68mm.

. . .
Tell us more about it!

04-15-2017, 08:01 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am using a sit-flush adapter similar to the official Pentax one. The switch on my Sears hits the pentaprism housing and stops the lens from being screwed in all the way.

---------- Post added 04-15-17 at 05:31 PM ----------

Cool, is that a Russian made m42 - k mount adapter?
04-15-2017, 09:08 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can you screw the adapter onto the lens and then bayonet it on?

Edit: that might be a problem when it comes time to remove unless you have already removed the spring setup the adapter isn't locked in.

Last edited by UncleVanya; 04-16-2017 at 03:58 PM.
04-15-2017, 11:59 PM   #7

I have an auto chinon 55mm 1.4 with the plastic part of the switch broken off, leaving a metal tab that doesn't stick out further than the lensmount. There is a cutout in the lensmount that it lies in. You could look for one with a broken plastic tab..ignore the distance markings, the focus was turned.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon PowerShot SD1200 IS  Photo 

Last edited by Ranchu; 04-16-2017 at 12:48 AM.
04-16-2017, 02:02 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I've never had an M42 lens which hit the pentaprism at all, so my first suspicion would be that the adapter is at fault (as non-original M42 adapters often are when problems are experienced). The screw thread in the adpter could be badly oriented with relation to the K-mount side.

Still, maybe the A/M switch could be shaved down slightly to allow it to pass?
04-16-2017, 04:23 AM   #9
Pentaxian

The switch on my Sears hits the pentaprism housing and stops the lens from being screwed in all the way.
Screw the adapter on the lens first and then mount it.
04-16-2017, 04:44 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a Super Reflecta version that I believe is similar to the Chinon.
The A/M switch protrudes no further than the body part with the aperture scale on it.
As UncleVanya and D1N0 suggest, fit the adapter to the lens then mount it on your camera, the aperture numbers should be at your pentaprism/top of the camera and the switch lower where it would not foul unless the adapter is a bit odd.
04-16-2017, 04:49 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sorry, missed adding an image. My lens has seized virtually solid, I should be asking the forum if trying to clean and re-grease the lens is possible for a two left thumb idiot like me.

Last edited by Skodadriver; 12-19-2017 at 09:13 AM.
04-16-2017, 07:42 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Screw the adapter on the lens first and then mount it.

If you do this, remember you still need to be able to unscrew the lens to get it back off. Or you will need to do some work around. Work out how you will get it off before you put it on.
04-16-2017, 08:19 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by .a.t. Quote
I don't, but maybe this will help?

The Sears 55 on the right is, I believe, a re-badged Chinon. Measured at the A / M switches, the diameter of the 'Chinon' is about 65mm and for the other Sears 55 it's about 68mm.

Tell us more about it!
Interesting. My Sears looks like this.

---------- Post added 04-16-17 at 08:22 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
Cool, is that a Russian made m42 - k mount adapter?
Yeah. One of those made by Lomo. A Greek seller on eBay had two of those and I bought both of them. Takes off as easily as a genuine Pentax adapter and two costed only 30 bucks including shipping.

---------- Post added 04-16-17 at 08:25 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I've never had an M42 lens which hit the pentaprism at all, so my first suspicion would be that the adapter is at fault (as non-original M42 adapters often are when problems are experienced). The screw thread in the adpter could be badly oriented with relation to the K-mount side.

Still, maybe the A/M switch could be shaved down slightly to allow it to pass?
The adapter I use works like this:
- Mount the adapter onto the K bayonet on the body
- Screw the lens onto the adapter

The A/M switch was too big that it stops me from screwing the lens in all the way.

04-16-2017, 12:51 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Also sold under the Revuenon, Cosinon, and Yashinon-DX labels. I believe the Yashinon has the smallest switch of the bunch.
So I have ordered a Yashinon DX 50 1.4, I have had reports saying that this lens will hit the mirror of a DSLR when focused on infinity. Does this happen on Pentax too (the report was about a K5IIs on a Chinese blog, but I am skeptical)?

The same blog also reports this lens as an Ultron while the 55mm lenses from Sears etc are of twisted Biotar. Does this mean anything when shooting (i.e. swirly bokeh)?

Sincerely

04-16-2017, 02:13 PM   #15
Veteran Member

IIRC, the instructions for the Pentax M42 adapter state that the adapter is to be screwed onto the lens first and then the lens mounted on the camera. I would imagine that would also be best for other makes as well. I do own a Sears 55/1.4 and can attest to the fact that it is a large lens with a large auto/manual switch.