Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
04-16-2017, 12:57 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Which one to keep, K, M or Super Takumar?

I have some manual lenses which are overlapping in focal length, they're in fact very similar too, and although I like all of them, I decide to let go some (to keep my LBA at an acceptable level) however I would like to ask for your opinion on which one is considered better (they're in more or less the same condition).

- Pentax-M 28mm f3.5 vs Super Takumar 28mm f3.5
- Pentax-M 100mm f2.8 vs Super Takumar 105mm f2.8
- Pentax-K 55mm f2.0 vs Super Takumar 50mm f1.4

04-16-2017, 01:26 AM   #2
Pentaxian

They are 3 different focal lengths so how do you compare them? Which ones give you images that makes you smile when you see them?
04-16-2017, 01:48 AM   #3
Bui
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I mean I have all of those six but I only want to keep 3 :-)
04-16-2017, 01:54 AM - 2 Likes   #4

Photos: Albums
They are all wonderful lenses, why do you have to choose?

If you want to get rid some of them, shoot them side by side and keep the one that gives you the best pleasure.

Without seeing your copies, I would keep (if I was forced to choose) m-lenses in 28mm and 100mm. And Takumar in 50mm.

04-16-2017, 01:57 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

The 28s have different optical formulae. I haven't used the Tak but if it's the same as the K then it should be better than the M, which is sharp but lacking a little in contrast.

The M 100/2.8 is a bit sharper than the Tak 105/2.8 but the Tak is still very good and overall I like the rendering more. My copy is also virtually mint and the focus and aperture rings are the smoothest I've ever used which make using it a joy. I have both and though I've toyed with selling the M I've never done it and don't think I will, unless I get a 120/2.8 instead.

The Tak 50/1.4 does not deserve the reputation (or price) it has, in my opinion, though it's a decent enough lens. Other than sheer speed the K 55/2 is better in every way.

That's my advice from owning most of the lenses you list here but there's no harm in duplicated focal lengths...no harm at all...

Give each of them a good whirl and see what you prefer.
04-16-2017, 02:11 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What cameras are you shooting them on? Do you use film at all? And on which bodies?

Do you shoot in full manual mode, or in Av for the Takumars & green button for the K and M? Which do you find easier?

Knowing the answers to all these may help us to help you.
04-16-2017, 03:03 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You may have trouble deciding the fate of the lenses even with help here.
Are you comfortable with using a M42-K adapter?
Are you comfortable with green button metering?
Is a sharper lens actually better for the images you tend to take?
Do you use the lenses wide open?

If you need to cut down, I would go with disposing of the -M 28mm F3.5 (though it seems so much better than the -M 28mm and - A28mm f2.8 versions to me) and the Tak 50mm F1.4.
Make someone else happy too.

04-16-2017, 05:16 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Veteran Member

There are some lenses where you really like the idea of having them. You know? You like to think about it. You like how it looks. But then you have those lenses that you just can't stop using! The lenses that you always reach for when you go out taking photos.
I think you should keep the one that you actually use.
For example, I love my Flektogon 35mm. Really like it. But in the end, I take way more photos with my DA 35mm f2.4. So if I was selling one, I would sell the Flektogon. Its really cool, all metal, has Zeiss written on it.. and the DA is just a plastic, affordable lens, nothing unusual or rare. But the number of photos speaks for itself. Can't really identify the specific reasons, but that's just how it is.
Utility first. Romance second.
04-16-2017, 05:17 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It depends on what you are doing overall with your lenses.

I would keep all in in one mount if these are the only 3 lenses you have.

As for the individual lenses, I have the K105 and it is soft until f5.6 but is a great portrait lens because of this, optically I think the K is similar to the M42 lenses , the M100 is quite different

If the super tak 1.4 is the 8 element version I would keep it. But even if not f1.4 gives you something

As a result I would lean to the m42 lenses, but then I have both a K kit and an M42 Kit so keep them all
04-16-2017, 06:59 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bui Quote
- Pentax-M 28mm f3.5 vs Super Takumar 28mm f3.5 - Pentax-M 100mm f2.8 vs Super Takumar 105mm f2.8 - Pentax-K 55mm f2.0 vs Super Takumar 50mm f1.4
The ones marked in red. The 28 is sharper across the frame and has less abberations. The Super-Takumar has a better optical design than the Pentax-K. I don't have any experience with the 100mm Pentax-m so I couldn't say.
04-16-2017, 07:41 AM - 2 Likes   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I would keep all in in one mount
This would be my inspiration as well, and I would want everything in bayonet. (Except, I have a similar situation with two 135mm lenses. I wish I liked the K-mount better, but un/fortunately the screw-mount just makes better images.)

I've also experience's "seller's remorse" enough times to advise you to just keep everything. :-D
04-16-2017, 08:31 AM   #12
Bui
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you for your comments. I use them with APSC only. All of them are great lenses but I think I need to let go some before buying some others, at least for overlap focal length, otherwise I will have 100 lenses in no time. Plus they deserve to be used frequently.

My general feeling is a bit toward the K-mount, I don't have to mess with adapter. The Super Takumar(s) can be used in Av mode however the metering is inconsistent, and they're prone to infinity focus problem too.

However the problem is I slightly like the rendering of the Super Takumar more, especially the 105mm f2.8. But its images have a strange purple tone, do you know why? If I can fix it I will keep the Takumar 105.

For example:

- IMGP5936 | Duc Hien Bui | Flickr
- IMGP5935 | Duc Hien Bui | Flickr
- PIC_1682 | Duc Hien Bui | Flickr
04-16-2017, 08:35 AM   #13
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by severalsnakes Quote

I've also experience's "seller's remorse" enough times to advise you to just keep everything. :-D

and there's the end - don't sell 'em (unless they offend you somehow...)
04-16-2017, 10:55 AM   #14

It depends on your personal criteria on what to keep.

If you are looking at overall performance (sharpness, contrast, distortion) remember there is a lot of individual variation between the same model lens. That's why film-maker, director and photographer Stanley Kubrick would order 10 copies of a lens and use them exhaustively to keep only one or two. That's why Modern Photography would test 3 copies obtained from 3 independent sources (not direct from the manufacturer). So it could turn out that with your personal copies might go against the general rule. That is, for example, your Takumar may actually perform better than your K-mount version whereas in general the K-mount versions are better.

As others have said before: Which ones give you the most pleasing results, which are your go to lenses that you always seem to be using.

Keeping them all in one mount makes sense because swapping the adapter in and out between screw and bayonet mounts is more of a hassle than just changing screw mount lenses (leaving the adapter in place). Of course you could always semi-permanently attach adapters to the lenses as some people do.
04-16-2017, 01:23 PM   #15
Pentaxian

I have a collection of M lenses. Using them with the green button is a bit of an acquired taste compared to A lenses, never mind auto focus lenses.

It seems that using M42 lenses is a slower more deliberate process. In some cases such as landscapes or portraits this not necessarily a bad thing as it forces one to really think things through.

In the case of the fifties it is a tough call. Faster aperture versus faster handling.

Apart from the above it is down to IQ. As a lens hoarder myself, I would say keep them all.