Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-18-2017, 12:53 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Genuine vs Non-Genuine Pentax rear cap

Hi,

Time ago I wrote a thread in the Spanish Pentax forum showing the difference (at least one) between a genuine vs a non-genuine Pentax rear cap, so here it is in English .

In the Genuine one, the internal tabs are aligned with the internal drawing lines. In the non-genuine, the tabs are smaller.
With the non-genuine ones, sometimes, the cap is stuck in the lens after rotating to release it. If someone has used the non-genuine caps, he/she knows what I mean.

Hope this helps to verify before buying one .

Genuine:

Non-Genuine:

Regards

04-18-2017, 02:05 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks much for sharing! Great advice.

I shoot many adapted lenses and other "non-Pentax" lenses. I have found that when it comes to these non-Pentax lenses, I never know what rear lens cap will work the best.

So, I keep an assortment of about 15 different types of rear lens caps in the K mount format in my inventory and usually am able to find one that fits the lens perfectly.

Sometimes only the push-on caps will work, and I keep 4 or 5 different push on caps around for that reason.
04-18-2017, 06:21 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've bought several caps on ebay that I'm pretty sure are not genuine, but they look more like the top photo than the bottom. I think there are many variations out there. The only ones I've had any problems with are the Tamron and Sigma caps for K mount. You also have to watch that you don't buy the old style caps without the flange to cover the contacts.
04-18-2017, 09:39 PM   #4
sbc
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Thanks for this helpful information. I just checked my 2 non original caps against my genuine ones and true enough, they are made
this way.

04-19-2017, 12:38 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another reason to only use Pentax OEM caps.

Phil.
04-22-2017, 07:26 PM   #6
sbc
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Although a little tight, it works well actually.
04-23-2017, 07:13 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Useful observation. However old sigma lens caps are still annoying, newer sigma art lens caps are annoying in exactly the same way: they only attach properly in one very specific direction.